1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers tell fans to "take a chill pill"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,704 / 45 / -26
    Chargers tell critics to “take a chill pill”
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT

Fans and the media in San Diego are getting fed up with the Chargers after Monday night’s second-half meltdown against the Broncos. But the Chargers are telling their critics to stop griping and start supporting the team.

The top headline at Chargers.com on Thursday evening reads, “Take a Chill Pill,” and the story it links to, written by Chargers Director of Public Relations Bill Johnston, takes San Diego to task for being full of negativity this week.

Although Johnston acknowledges that the loss to the Broncos was “bad,” “horrible” and “embarrassing,” he then goes on to say

“Time to take a chill pill,” Johnston writes. “No one knows what will happen this season, yet alone the next game. That’s the beauty of the National Football League. I don’t know, you don’t know, no one knows what’s going to happen. If you want these players and coaches to succeed, then support them. Don’t tear them down. What you want and what we all want, including your team, is to know people believe in them.”

Johnston also points out that the Chargers have overcome bad starts to get to the playoffs before, and they can do it again.

“Your team is 3-3, tied at the top of the division, and has 10 games to play,” Johnston writes. “If the Chargers are your team, get behind them and stay behind them. We’re all at our best when we know others believe in us.”

Johnston is right, of course, that a 3-3 team in a tie for first place in its division shouldn’t be written off for dead. But when even the team’s general manager is decrying “the mess this team is in,” it’s not surprising that plenty of people in San Diego have given up on the Chargers. And telling them to take a chill pill is unlikely to get them back.
  2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 4 / -0
    Okay this actually kind of pisses me off. I mean I'm not part of the 'the sky is falling' crowd but there does need to be serious change, which won't happen if fans aren't heard. It's the duty as a fan of the Chargers to announce our dissatisfaction with this dysfunctional team in order for there to be change, not just accept it and blindly cheer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Bill Johnston can suck it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,704 / 45 / -26
    He might take that as an invite. ;)
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I was here a long time before he even showed up, and I will be here when he is gone. If he cant handle the pressure of fans wanting to win, he might want to think about changing professions! Or move to Cleveland
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Some may need more than just the pill. Just wait. Everyone is either gonna get what they want Norv gone and/or AJ too. Im pretty sure they will need the team to finish with more than a 9-7 record. Maybe its capped at a .500 season. I dont see why tellin fans to chill out after only 1/3 of the season is even in the books.

Fans who are lashing out at the organization/coach or grinding a hate for a particular player who is say *Matt Cassell'n it up* not living up to your or his standard. Clary.... well this probably is also a year that theres a chance he could be let go as well. Fans who are jus gettin pissy and goin all F999 this and this player Fn blows etc... cmon man you should take some advice from the Chef fan friend of mine. *Be Careful what you wish for* Tho IMO I would rather Romeo was HC here than what we have. Offensive play has been predictable forever, the only mystery/surprise was how many over 6 targets would Phil hit by game end. Half of those to the TEs and RBs on average. I miss Legs and even a lil bit Tutu. (Welker obviously as well but more recent WRs) VB deff would make a needed contribution to the WR depth if he werent injured.

Still holding out hopes that the Offense starts clicking on more of a entire drive basis. It is funny this year Norv does seem to be trying whatever he can or feels is the best for the situattion, only to have the play blow up or get stuffed for neg yards. We've seen this pattern with the mis-use of Sproles and LT and even a bit of Turner, but hell you would have thought if he could call a complete game he would have figured out how to properly use what he has and take what the D is giving in GZ situations. I never want to see ANY RB on any team rush 3 times in a row from inside the 9. STUPID STUPID NORV>!

I had my Chill Pill the day of/night of the SHOCKING loss to PM and DEN. Can you beleive it was only the second time in PMs career that he beat the Chargers?? Glad we win this week!! SUCKS that DEN and KC do too. ;/
  7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Here is the e-mail reply i sent to him and spanos:

Mr. Spanos/Mr. Johnston,

I have been a Charger fan since I saw my first live game in 1981 when I was 9 years old. I fell in love with the players, the coaches, and the team and that has not changed in 31+ years. I have Chargers stickers on my car, half my wardrobe has a Bolt on it, and my kids are being raised as Charger fans. I have been going to games every year since 1981, first with my friend and his parents who had season tickets, then with another friend and his grandparents who had tickets. I bought tickets myself when I could and traveled down from Riverside County. In 2004 my wife bought me my own season tickets for my birthday and I have had them ever since. I moved to San Marcos 18 months ago in part because it made us closer to my favorite team. I am at every game, I come to training camp practices, and I follow the team in the off season, from the combine to OTA's to the draft. I am fully invested in this team. I read Mr. Johnston's comments this week and I was appalled. I am a proud backer of this team. I back them when they win. I back them when they lose. I complain about calls. I complain about effort. But I cheer at every game. I am the guy in F39 leading the people around me to get loud at the right time, and to be quiet when our O is going. But for a representative of this team to tell me to take a chill pill, to tell me to stop being emotional about one of the most devastating losses in Charger history, to tell me not to call out the coaches or players for poor play is in poor form. What I saw in the second half of Monday was a horrible display of football. Teams have these types of games. Teams can get these things corrected. But to tell me not to call out people for poor performance is ridiculous. Philip Rivers himself will tell you he played poorly on Monday. Norv Turner will tell you he did not help his team win that game. The defense to a man will tell you that they lost something after Manning's initial drive in the 3rd quarter. Being a devoted fan means I will call my team for their issues. I will cheer for them anyways. But the last thing any die hard Charger fan wants to hear from his team who just had one the worst games in team history is to "Take a Chill Pill". It sounds like you guys don't even care.

Sincerely,

Mike Titus, Season Ticket Holder
    F39 R14 S17/18
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Here is what I interpret:

Get passionate! Get LOUD! Bolt Up! But please don't get mad when we have one of the biggest chokes in NFL history. It hurts our feelings.

What a slap in the face. You want our passion and energy when things go well, but complain like this after a mess of YOUR OWN CREATION! What an absolute joke.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,559 / 11 / -0
    Bill Johnston is right.

People are losing their collective minds and a lot are not simply being passionate fans. They're being downright nasty, malicious and cruel with their commentary. It's no longer about football, but about lashing out at people because they don't know how to be an adult and handle their anger and frustration over a damn football team/game.

I'm so freaking happy we have a bye week. This fanbase (and I use the term fan very loosely here as I'm pretty sure the true offenders this article was meant for are bandwagon wuss bags) is embarrassing sometimes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1

While I might agree with you Syd that many of the people this article is meant for are blowing this out of proportion, the tone and demeanor behind it as well as it being from the Chargers PR guy is just plain uncalled for. I will cheer and rant as needed. I do not need the PR guy telling me if I am a real fan or not.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,704 / 45 / -26
    Agreed. The bye week would've allowed fans to vent and then calm down naturally before the next game. No need for the PR guy to lecture fans on how to behave..... that is never a good idea.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Just got a personal response from Bill:

Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to write. Like you, I've been a fan for a long time (since the 70s) and I’m passionate about the team. I wrote that from the heart in hopes of reminding all of us that we’re 3-3 with 10 to go and right in the middle of the division race. Also want people to know how much their support means to the players. I see how hard everyone is working and how much it means to them. I did not mean to criticize anyone that is upset. Again, my goal was to remind us that anything can happen, and I’m looking forward to good things ahead.

It means a lot that you took the time to write. Thank you.

b
    [​IMG]
    BILL JOHNSTON |Director of Public RelationsSan Diego Chargers

I'll accept the response and assume his tone was mis-interpreted.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I know that when I put more effort into watching a game (staying up till 5 AM and then taking care of a 9 month old baby the next day isn't exactly easy) than the players/coaches put into playing/game-planning it, then anyone telling me to take a chill-pill can kiss my ***.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Mr Johnston sounds like a walking PR disaster. "Take a chill pill", I mean to use those words sounds condescending to me. Jesus Im six thousand miles away and wasnt even at the game and am still pissed, I can only imagine how the fans over there feel.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    A PR sending this type of message is one thing. Titling it "Take a chill pill" is dismissive, condescending bullshit from a professional. If we as fans say that to each other, that's one thing. Bill is one very prominent face of this organization.

I could really give a crap about his response to MadMike. Whoop-de-*******-doo. If he can't handle the heat coming from this currently dysfunctional kitchen, maybe it's time that his old *** sat on the beach more.

I agree wholeheartedly that the season is far from over. I'm in this for the long haul. I'll be a Chargers fan no matter how painfully embarrassing it sometimes can be. But I'll be damned if I'll accept the tone coming from this message to the fans. Bill Johnston can kiss this one fan's hairy ***.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 7 / -1
    When I heard this first I thought... Deano instructed Bill to write something to the masses to, as best as possible, help ensure as many as possible come back to the Q ie. buy tickets.

Then I read it..... then I saw Bill's reply to Mike (great letter btw). I guess Bill is probably wishing he phrased it better. Using 'take a chill pill' was certainly not the best choice of words.

Like many round here I'm a Bolts fan to the core. I'll support them no matter what, I'll never cheer for them to lose but I will tell you this.

I don't for a minute think this Norv Turner led team can get their act together enough to make the playoffs and win a game there this season. That for me is how I define success in 2012/13, make the playoffs and win at least 1 game. We are 3 and 3, tied for the lead in the division, yeah I get it, but I know too much about this guy and truly believe we are out of it with him at the helm. That is what kills me. As a result I think the best course of action last tue morning would be to fire him, install Bisaccia as HC and see what happens.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    We were behind the Chargers when they gave us a HC to stand behind and believe in. Norv has only when 10 or more games 3x in his career so it doesn't look so good.

Again, this sounds like another Bullshit PR put our by Smith to try to keep the heat off his *** for f-ing up the HC position along with his FA moves. Apparently, this is AJ now telling us fans that it is his way or the highway. You all know if it is AJs way he will have all of us on the highway.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Spell check is obviously not your friend. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Interpretation can be a funny and revealing thing. On this forum alone, I've seen the villager's ready to strike out with torch and pitchfork and take out anyone remotely associated with the Bolt's. When I see folks calling to oust River's and claiming he's not even a "GOOD" Qback, I believe it's more than just a "chill pill" prescription needed to alleviate said brain constipation.

Anyone with just a little football knowledge can see that this Bolt's O-line isn't very good even when Gaither is playing, he can't fix both the left and right side himself. Meach and Royal are still playing clueless in the offense. These two guys can't get separation and they're supposedly the "Speed guys" the bolt's lacked, It's easy to see, they came from chuck and duck systems and didn't have to read the defense as required in the SDO to be successful.

The defense is better, at least in the first half. Against both the Falcons and Donks they held up until the 3rd quarter started. It appears that they pull out of the aggressive attacking style with safety and corner blitz's and just start send the LB's alone. With Phillips, Barnes and Ting, I'd think they'd be able to chase after the QB fairly well in the second half but go conservative and back off the throttle.

This team was not going to win the Lombardi last Monday night, yet you'd think they just lost it by the whining and complaining on this board alone. Norv may not be the guy to lead them to the big dance and on to victory but he's what they have right now. I'd bet Mr. Johnston has forgotten more about football than the average fan ever learned and telling them to take a "chill Pill" is rather mild compared to all the diarrhea brained diagnosis going on by the fan "experts" in here.

RX: Do me a favor, take the pill and wash it down with this special kool-aid.

JMHO.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Here is my email to Bill. I'm curious to know if I get a sincere reply or a canned response that matches the on sent to Mike.

Dear Bill,

I have never felt so insulted by a product I pay good money for as I was by your article. I have also never lost so much faith in the Chargers organization. For any product (the San Diego Chargers) to be so insulting to their customers (the fans) as to use terms like 'you people' and 'take a chill pill'. You complain about hiding behind a keyboard on twitter, yet I find it hard to believe you would use those terms in front of a fan in person.

I've heard your apologies, but it sounds to me like back peddling. I think your (and your organization's) true colors showed in your writing. "Get passionate! Bolt up! Get Loud! Buy tickets! But don't get mad if we have an epic choke, it hurts our feelings."

Please answer me this question:

How would you like me to support the players while also stating that Monday Night and the past two season are unacceptable?

Show me you have some desire to reverse the insult you gave this season ticket holder.

David
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I'm glad he struck a nerve with all "YOU" people going off all assmouthed about replacing everything from the owner to the water boy. Who the fawk died and left you in charge? if you want change don't show up because whining and complaining isn't going to fix anything.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 7 / -1
    That's the funny thing... ironically this article might just have had that effect!!.

If I could show up I would but I wouldn't stop calling for Norv's head.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think that a lot of season ticket subscriptions are biting the dust this offseason if Norv isn't fired or a SB isn't won. I honestly believe that those are the 2 situations which will result in season ticket volume remaining equal or increasing. I think that they lost a lot of STs last year and did many of their ST only "events" to try to reward the STs and muster up support, but I think people just want the Ws at this point, and don't care about organizational access if they're watching expansion-team caliber football.
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    It's not going to immediately affect the Chargers' revenue stream, but my wife and I decided that if her next duty assignment brings us back to San Diego, until Norv is fired and his replacement puts together a winning season we're not spending $2000 a year on season tickets for the two of us and our daughter. Granted, taking a 3-4 year old to a football game might not be the best idea anyway, but neither of us can justify paying to feel like **** after watching the game.
  25. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Can't say I'm surprised. Dipsh!t probably didn't even take a moment to read my email and sure didn't make any effort to answer my question.

David,
    Thank you for taking the time to write. You articulated your points very well.
    I've been a fan for a long time (since the 70s) and I’m passionate about the team. I did not mean to criticize anyone that is upset. Fans have that right. I wrote that from the heart in hopes of reminding all of us that we’re 3-3 with 10 to go and right in the middle of the division race. Also want people to know how much their support means to the players. I see how hard everyone here is working and how much it means to them. Again, my goal was to remind us that anything can happen, and look forward to good things ahead.
    It means a lot that you took the time to write. Thank you.
    b
  26. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Further communication:

Me: Your response might have meant more if you had taken the time to answer my one and only question.

Unfortunate.

Bill:
    Sorry. I understand what you’re asking: how do you voice your frustration.
    I’m not saying you shouldn’t be upset and voice that. We all have that right. I’m just hoping we’ll move on to see the opportunity that lies ahead. Winning is the only thing that counts.
    b
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

I imagine that he's sent this email out 50,000 times today. I think that it would be unreasonable to expect anyone to write 50,000 personalized responses.
  28. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    I totally agree with him on the point that we are 3-3, tied for first place with 10 games still go to. That is not the problem though.

They're accepting no responsibility for the debacles that we've had to endure the last 2 games, that's the issue. Rather than apologize and say they're working on fixing it, they're blaming fans for supposedly over-reacting? No, No, No, you sir need to wake up and smell the coffee. Any fan has the right to be mad after the worst loss they've probably ever seen. Any fan should be mad about the Saints game throwaway, but to follow that up with something even worse is almost laughable.

I would make the argument that the fans who aren't mad are the ones who aren't passionate about the team, we get mad because we care, we get mad because we expect better, and we get mad because we had that game won and yet again under Norv Turner we find a way to throw it away.

You would think that public relations 101 should probably advise you that insulting your audience isn't the way to get them back on the bandwagon...
    • Winner Winner x 3
  29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    I did nto see it that Bill is blaming anyone for anything. He is expressing his opinion. I think he hit the nail on the head about comparing how we would respond to a loved one making mistakes to how a lot of fans treat the team. There are a lot of responces and posts on Facebook, twitter, forums, and dont get me started on talk radio that are just way over the top.

I do not think he is asking anyone to accept failure, just maybe approach the expression of frustration with a little more civility.

Just my opinion, not stating anyone is a bad fan (you know who you are!) so please dont vulcanize me.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  30. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    I get what you are saying. He may not be saying accept failure, but he is saying to ignore or not worry about it. We all know how important JUST ONE LOSS was over the past two seasons. Yet he is telling us not to worry about it. He is saying 'support your team, we need it' as if we haven't been supporting them to date. Yes, the season is not over, yet the trend we have seen should give any reasonable person concern.

All that combined with terminology like 'you people' and 'chill pill' just makes my blood boil.

Cheers.
    • Like Like x 2