1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers tell fans to "take a chill pill"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Not what I am saying at all, nor do I think he is. Each loss is important and the last two hurt like no others in recent memory.

I honestly dont see where he is telling you not to worry about it, but if that is what you see, then we can agree to disagree. What I see him saying is the season isnt over. You seem to agree with that. I dont know about you, but there is a lot of responces and posts to Bill and the Chargers which are way over the top in my opinion. I think he is addressing those.

That said, I am not trying to tell you how you should react or interprit what he says, just expressing my opinion on the matter.

I am not happy with the last two games, and about portions of every game this season. But the season isnt over, and the Chargers could go 13-3, or 3-13. Anything is possible at this moment.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    Sorry, I should have had a break between 'I know what you are saying.' and the rest of my post. The rest was just my interpretation of Bill's article.

Side note, looks like the article has finally been taken off the web page. Here is the original link and full text for memorial-ization:

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Take-a-Chill-Pill/2ac2453b-53de-4bc5-a5de-6de3bd0c1c74

Take a Chill Pill

Posted 18 hours ago
    Bill Johnston Director of Public Relations Email
    [​IMG]

What’s with you people?
    Yes, Monday night’s loss was bad. Horrible. Embarrassing.
    Ok…enough already. No mas. I get it.
    Now get over it. It was a loss. One loss.
    Listening to some of you out there, you’d think Monday night was “win or go home” and the Chargers are now packing their bags.
    “The Chargers are finished. Done,” said one scribe.
    Another wrote, “Bye, bye Chargers. Put a fork in them.”
    Sometimes I think Twitter was invented to give people a chance to puff out their chests and talk big, saying things they never would say to someone’s face.
    And talk radio … don’t get me started. The old adage your mom used to preach – “If you don’t have anything good say, don’t say anything” – seems to have evolved to “if you don’t have anything good to say, call sports talk radio.”
    Some of those folks are probably the same ones who called for former Head Coach Bobby Ross’ job when his first Chargers team started the 1992 season 0-4. I still remember the self-proclaimed experts saying Bobby was “in over his head”. The Chargers went on to win 11 of the next 12 games that year, along with a 17-0 victory in the first round of the playoffs.
    A few of the more recent Chargers teams have been declared dead by quacks, only to awaken in good health. The 3-3 Chargers of 2004 won nine of their final 10 games. The ’06 Chargers won their final 10. The ’07 Chargers started 1-3 before winning 10 of their last 12. The ’08 Chargers won their final four in a row and the ’09 team won its last 11 games.
    Time to take a chill pill. No one knows what will happen this season, yet alone the next game. That’s the beauty of the National Football League. I don’t know, you don’t know, no one knows what’s going to happen.
    If you want these players and coaches to succeed, then support them. Don’t tear them down. What you want and what we all want, including your team, is to know people believe in them.
    Look at it this way. We want our loved ones to succeed, and we’ll do whatever it takes to help them. But when they make mistakes, like we all do, we would never criticize or belittle them publicly.
    Your team is 3-3, tied at the top of the division, and has 10 games to play. If the Chargers are your team, get behind them and stay behind them. We’re all at our best when we know others believe in us.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    No problemo.
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    "assume his tone was mis-interpreted"????

His job as Director of PR is to put out fires... not start them.

This guy is terrible at his job. And he'll go out with the current regime when Spanos finally wakes up from his stupor and cleans house.

He should be firing AJ, Norv, and Johnston right now.

This organization has reached a new level of absurdity.

After they lose to Cleveland next week we'll see what the response is when they return home to face the Chiefs.

Clown Show.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    That was my point exactly....... what is to be served by telling people to calm down?

It's a bye week, so that would've happened naturally. No need for the PR guy to say a word. Sometimes, the best course of action is to remain silent.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    Fire Norv now and all that says is they're running the white flag up on the last 10 games. The last two games were very hard to take with total break downs in the second half by both the offense and defense. River's is painfully terrible at chuck and duck, not to mention he couldn't outrun a bronze statue of Don Coryell. The two speed receivers don't look very fast. In fact both Royal and Meachem look lost at best on the field and couldn't find a hole in the defense even if they fell into one. Offensive line, do the Chargers really have one????

The defense just completely vanishes in the second half. How can they have Manning and Brees both under control by pressure, picks and stops then go into hibernation until the next game starts? If Deano changes coaches I just hope he has a plan and an excellent pick in mind for a replacement. Anything going interim, short term is just plain old quitting on the season and that would really piss me off.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I agree, and believe we're on the same page here. What I'm not sure (who am I kidding, I'm pretty damn confident) that the average fan commenting on the CMB or in response to the UT articles gets is that there is a bigger picture that's impacted by moves made now and the timing of such, whether that's in a future that contains our current coaching or front office staff's or not.

If we demonstrate that we're the type of organization that runs up the white flag on a season with 10 games remaining, sitting on a .500 record (with losses all coming to teams with upper echelon QB's) when there are only 2 teams in the conference with a winning record at the time (Houston and Baltimore), what does that say about the organization to prospective 2013 free agents? Hell, what does it say to the league when they're looking at prime time game scheduling next season (if we're an organization willing to just "mail it in" when things don't go our way right out the gate)? Sure wouldn't put a lot of confidence in them to give us any prime time games (which bring with them more money from the TV contracts/advertising) that they'd likely just end up flexing us out of if we didn't get off the ideal start that would sway our organization the other way.

Look, I want change, but knee-jerk change is just plain stupid. Change just for the sake of change is asinine. If you're going to make a change do it at such a time as when you have as many good options available to you to pick from so you can make the best new choice possible.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    I don't know why we really need to wait for a new HC I can not see any reason why we can't bring in a HC right now. Keep the staff but replace the HC and let things fall where they may.

But seriously who are we kidding, Norv only won 10 or more games only 3x in 22 years so it doesn't look very promising for a winning season.
  9. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    I agree with you 90%.

The missing element of Bill's story is an acknowledge of the magnitude of Monday night's collapse. This game enters into NFL history as one of the most colossal second-half meltdowns of all-time. More importantly, it is indicative of the fact that something has gone very wrong in San Diego. This is not one you just shrug off and say "hey, any given Sunday". The maner of this loss has to be addressed, and until that time, the natives will be restless. Sadly, and for the first time I can remember, I include myself in the "natives" group.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Never said he was good at his job. Just that maybe he didnt use the right tone in the letter. And yes I agree that a PR guys job is to get the tone right lol.
  11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    here is my email to him

I went to my first Chargers game in Sept of 1970 to watch the Raiders play. Since then I have attended well over 300 games. I was in Pittsburgh that glorious day when we beat the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars paying for season tickets, parking, jerseys, shirts, jackets, hats, pennants, blankets, flags, posters, cups, mugs, coffee cups, decals, shoes, pens and pencils, letter openers, and mouse pads all of which the Chargers had their name or logo on it. While at the games I have bought beer, soda, hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza, popcorn, cotton candy, chicken, water, ice cream, churros, ******* jacks, pretzels, and frozen lemonades. I have made at least 100 trips to watch them practice in the preseason, and I have been at the Chargers Park to welcome the team home after they played games on the road sometimes in the wee hours of the morning. My voice is permanently damaged because of all the yelling while at the games.

Do you know how many family functions I have missed because I had tickets to a game?

This season I lost my season tickets because of too many fights with Raider fans. Last year it was because a young fan almost knocked a friend and a Purple Heart winner over, and when he was confronted by my oldest son who is an Iraqi War Veteran about it, his response was “FVCK the military”, After I explained all this to one of your “FINEST” Elite services people, I had the Raider fan behind telling me I need to mind my own business, now mind you this was the same Raider fan who cheered and carried on while Marcus McNeil was on the cart being taken off the field. Well after that Raider fan threw the first punch at me, I was defending myself.

Now with all that you tell me to take a chill pill. Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?

Why don’t you put a product on the field that some people can fell proud about!!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    It reminds me of last season, when the team started out 4-1, but didn't look very good (despite the record), and fans complained about it. The fans were told to "chill" in essence, with the organization saying that they were still in first place and things would get fixed. Despite that, the fans' concerns turned out to be real, when the team went on that horrible 0-6 slide that proved to be too big a hole to dig out of.

With recent history as a guide, the fans have every right to question this team's ability to right the ship once it starts taking on water. We had a better opening record last year, and that didn't prevent the team from going South. The way this team is losing these games would concern any franchise that's not out to lunch. Fans are definitely in a "show me" mode at this point...... and rightly so.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6

Exactly, without long term thought, direction and planning it would be foolish to shitcan the rest of the season and perhaps a few down the road. I'm with you 100% on this.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because the pool to draw from is exceedingly limited (you can't go out and offer a promotional hire to a guy whose presently an assistant on another team at this point).

Because Spanos isn't going to pay Norv for the remainder of this season AND pay the absorbent amount it would cost to bring in an outside candidate while offering them little to no job security.

Because very few serious outside candidates are interested in "auditioning" where they are starting from a handicapped position (having to teach new system/scheme/etc. on the fly, having seen the pitiful state our OL is in presently, having seen the dearth that's available on the free agent market, and having to work with AJ Smith as the means to provide him with anything more than he already has on this team).

Because if Norv goes the only other member of the coaching staff with any prior offensive play-calling experience is Steve Fairchild who hasn't exactly been with this team long enough to truly grasp the scheme well enough to do anything besides the absolute minimum/bare-bones play-calling.

You wanted a reason. Take your pick. Taking over a team midway through a season isn't as easy or desirable as you want to make it seem. That's why effectively 100% of the time it's an internal interim coach that takes over and not an outside hire.
  15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +828 / 22 / -1
    At least he's not wearing a bag, or using a bag wearer as an avatar.
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Quiet you! You know full well that Conc's doing us a service by hiding his face from public view!
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Nicely done Mike ................. as an invested and fully paying fan, you're damn well Skippy you have the right to speak your mind, when and wherever you see fit, if this organisation feels the need to have its PR director have to make public statements like he has, that to me stinks of only one thing .................desperation. (in other words....losing money)

Now Bill Johnson may be the nicest man in the world for all I know and I have no doubt he lives and breathes Charger football like the rest of us who frequent forums 24/7 just to be apart of the "everything Chargers".

But he must also understand that peeps have a right to vent, especially after such a deplorable display as the one we all witnessed last Monday Night...................NOTHING can ever take away the embarrassment of that, NO Chill Pill or any other medical miracle they have invented these days.

Bill must also realise that those of us who spend hard-earned money week in, week out on following this team simply MUST be allowed to vent on talkshows, in forums, wherever, or else we'd all end up in a Loony bin, such is the life of being "A Charger Fan".

I hear what Sydalish is saying also, but we all have differnt levels of emotion when it comes to "being acceptive" of what we can handle and stay rational about and what may tip us over the edge ......... performances like this last one will seriously test any logical, rational humanbeings level of competence.............there's way to lose that many can still accept and move n from, that crap on Monday WASN'T one of them.

Toughen up Chargers and that goes for those in the FO as well .........
  18. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    For us OS fans it is definetely heightened by the fact we are displaced in sooooooo many ways that the locals never have to deal with ..............least of all is watching games at unheard of early morning hours or even "working around" when games are played and pulling the odd "sickie", just for the priviledge of catching games, so YES, we tend to be probably a little more vocal than others when we have to see a shocker like that of last Monday.

When the hell do the States go off Daylight Savings by the way ??? ................at least I get 1 extra hour sleep when that happens ...... :sleep: :tup:
  19. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    .......he's obviously a Twitter-Gen kid, cut him some slack ya grouchy Ol' Bastage ....... ;) :roflmao:
  20. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    It always the first Sunday in November, so this year its Nov 4th.
  21. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    [​IMG] .......'nuff said.
  22. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    he is ????

[​IMG]

OH YEAH ................................he is. (and its not just his face)
  23. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    You'd think I'd remember that kind of stuff after 20 years .................but alas, I don't since being back here.

Ahhhh :poop:................ still another 2 weeks of 3am risings before work on Monday's..... :(

I seriously need to find an easier game to follow...... ;)
  24. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 2 / -0
    He seems very careful not to put an apology in here.

Johnston's Follow-Up

Posted 3 hours ago
    Bill Johnston Director of Public Relations Email
    [​IMG]

My last column sure sparked a firestorm of emotion among Chargers faithful. And even though most comments were critical of what I wrote, I’m proud of the reaction from our fans. Their passion and commitment makes them some of the best fans around.
    In fact, the fan in me led me to write that column: The native San Diegan who has been a Chargers fan since his days a kid watching practice through knot holes in the fence at Sunset Park in La Mesa. I was a fan before I started working for the Chargers in 1979 and I expect to be a fan when I'm an old man taking my grandkids to games.
    My intended message was and still is: We’re 3-3 with 10 games to play, and we can’t wait for the chance to get the bad taste out of our mouths from the past two weekends. I never meant to disrespect or insult anyone.
    But many Chargers fans didn’t want to hear it. And I understand that. The fans who disagreed with my one-fan's-opinion column have every right to criticize me. They have every right to be passionately disappointed in the team's performance over the last two weeks.
    My column brought out this passion in a big way. Our fans' feelings for the team are second to none, and I’m sure glad they’re on our side because I wouldn’t want them against us.
    Bottom line, everyone at the Chargers is just as disappointed as our fans. I can attest that no one at the Chargers is going to settle for this. As a fan of this team, I’m with you in saying this team needs to play better. In this business, winning is the only thing that matters.
    There is one point I think we can all agree on, and in the end it’s the only point that matters. Chargers fans just want the team to win. And that’s on the Chargers to make that happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    I heard on the radio is that AJ has blocked Cowher and Gruden because they wanted full control over their staff. So it looks like we will be stuck with Norv for many years. :cry:
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    My only real thought on this thread, it sounds like the type of management that would keep Norv Turner for a 6th year.

In fact I don't see it as any different than the typical dreaded vote of confidence.
  27. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Take anything you ever hear from an employee of any organisation very very carefully......

Don't ever lose sight of the fact that its their livelihood to "talk up" that employer first and foremost, so ofcourse your always going to hear plenty of propaganda bullshite, that's a given.

Nothing different than Norf talking in his Pressers and boring everyone stupid with the same ol' rhetoric we've heard a million times before or AJ and his classic "Foot in Mouth" comments, it's their job along with Coaching and Managing.

Mind you, it is a part of the job, though I'm sure if you asked them, they'd gladly walk away from if given the choice, I personally don't envy anyone in those positions that has to face the media at times when things aren't running smoothly, it's a totally ...."Damned if you do....Damned if you don't" scenario and you'll never satisfy everyone.

All that being said though, a guy like Bill Johnson should have had the smarts though to " keep it zipped" on this occasion or at least have the intelligence to word it correctly so as to not run afoul of the already "angry mob", that was just asking for trouble and he had to know that much you'd like to think.
  28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Seriously?

This is more pathetic than the first one. And Spanos is sanctioning it.

This organization is a joke.
  29. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    I'm still pissed about that "chill pill" comment, especially coming from the PR guy, who's supposed to be a professional representative for a professional football team. What an insult, particularly to those of us who have stuck with this team through thick and thin for decades. I'm on a whole medicine cabinet full of chill pills, but I was screaming at the TV Monday night like I haven't screamed since the Gilbride days, and I'm gonna keep screaming until they extract their craniums from their rectal vaults and give us long-suffering fans what we're paying for. Stuff THAT in your pie-hole, Bill Johnston!!! :mad:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    Why am I suddenly being reminded of the NY Jets here? This is sh!t that THEY usually do.