1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers to let Whiz interview before playoff game?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 7, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Just heard Darren Smith say that Telesco is going to allow Whisenhunt to interview with these all pushy teams banging down the door to get him before our season is even over!?!?

Why? What does it serve to allow one of our most important coaches to be distracted by all these other pushy teams before the biggest game of the season, while he's still under contract with us?

And why would Wiz voluntarily open himself up to criticsm? He better damn well hope nothing goes wrong with the offense in Denver. It seems selfish! What are they going to do announce he's the next coach of the Lions, and do a damn press conference before the game? Is he going to wear a Lions hat on the sideline?

Anyway I'm glad we could cater to the needs of other teams while trying to take care of our own business. It is after all, all about their peace of mind.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    I'm guessing it has something to do with what Wisenhunt was promised when he came to SD, and the fact that if Telesco wants to lure other top coordinators he needs to treat the ones he has fairly and respectfully. I really don't see this as being a distraction.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    I'm inclined to agree; look Whisenhunt was realistically seen as a one year hire. The Chargers got him after he interviewed for multiple jobs, including McCoy's, and didn't get any of them. Don't forget that Whisenhunt was being sought after by the Lions since the end of the regular season. TT also probably agreed that he could interview if it didn't hurt the team's preparation. Still if the Bolts go deep, Whisenhunt could be finally available for interviews only after the majority of hirings have been made.

It's more than likely courtesy to a man who is obviously the hottest candidate among coordinators in the NFL. I just hope TT and McCoy are at least getting a few names together for a replacement.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    I guess what I compare it to is an employee who has found a better job, for more pay, and has put in his 2 weeks notice....

Is the employee likely to work harder for those 2 weeks, or is he more likely to slack a little? I'm not saying Whiz is going to sandbag his way out of here, but maybe he's a little too pre occupied with his future and not with what is happening now.

JMO, I would've told him he could interview with whomever he wants after the season is over. I just don't see anyway this helps us beat the Broncos.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    If Whiz was the type to be distracted by other opportunities, I don't see how it would help if the Chargers told him he couldn't interview until the season was over. Seems like that would just breed resentment as the job openings filled up.
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    Just put it Mcwhizzors hands and let him take care of it, if he wants to leave that bad why hold him back but interview on your own time!!!.
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    The flip side would be imagine an employee who asks for a couple hours off to go interview for a better job with better pay and you tell him, "No." You think that employee is then going to work extra, extra hard for you?
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    It wouldn't be like saying no, it'd be saying "after you're done stocking the shelfs." lol
  9. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings Received:
    +71 / 2 / -0
    Is this confirmed or just speculation?
  10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 1 / -0
    It's confirmed. I think more will be made of it than what it really amounts to. Teams have to come to SD to interview him, and he's a pro-- he's not going to spend so much time in meetings that his preparation for Denver suffers. You figure he wasn't going to be spending every waking moment working on the gameplan this week anyways. So who cares if some of his spare time is spent interviewing.
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    I hope so, but if we kick 5 FGs against the Broncos on Sunday he's going to hear about it.
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Mr. Schottenheimer, you can come in now. The interviewers are waiting...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    Probably the equivalent is getting a politician after he left one job and before he decides to run for another office. You know he's not going to last long, you plan on using him to advance your brand and situation with his abilities and then you let him go do his thing. And because everyone knew this was going to happen they decided not to fight it too much after one deadline passed. If it doesn't affect his game plan I am fine with it. Besides, if the game plan for the BRONCOS looks half assed I don't think it'll help his job interview.

Kurt or Brian?
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Marty: Bill, what are you doing here?
  15. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Telesco and Co. were allowed to interview McCoy in the midst of their playoff prep, so I would imagine it only fair to let Whiz do the same thing.

As to whether or not he may slack after knowing that he's in line for a newer, shinier job...

Who would pass up on their chance to win a (or in Whiz's case, another) Super Bowl ring?
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    If that is indeed the case...then let's not forget the Broncos went 1 and done last year, after controversially kneeling on the ball with time left on the clock and Manning under center.

Just sayin, I don't see any need for early interviews.
  17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    This is the NFL, people are moving around all the time.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Thank you.
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    More like (hopefully), "You can interview in another month after all the good jobs are taken."
  20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 1 / -0
    Undoubtedly. Which is maybe the only part of this whole thing that I find unwise- the organization has opened itself up to criticism should the offense not be perfect. My assumption is that they're just trying to do right by a guy who really took a step down the ladder to come here as an OC.
  21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    I'd wait and see how the Bolts do this Sunday before hiring the Mcwhizzard of Dego. If all the talking horseasses are right and the Bolts shouldn't be in the post season then why all the interest in the first place???
  22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    To be fair, it's probably a distraction either way. I mean, Whiz knows the offers are out there and I'm sure there's at least some under the table informal conversations going on.

Perhaps this is more about quelling the distraction than creating it? And, as mentioned earlier, also painting good faith business practice for future Coordinators since Whiz leaving is only a question of when, not if.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Anybody who says the Chargers shouldn't be in the playoffs is either a blowhard or a news mediot trying to stir up controversy for the sake of ratings/clicks.
  24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Ahhh you are wrong again... They could also be a Steelers fan!

;)
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 1 / -0
    This really burns my a**.
    I mean., why in the hell can't they just wait until the season is freak'n over???!!
    THEY ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO INTERVIEW THIS WEEK??!!! WTF??!! :eek: :mad:
    We don't need any outside distractions going on at all this week.
    Can't these teams just chill the f*** out until we're done with our business???
    WTF is the big rush anyway???!!! :mad:
  26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1