1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers trade guard Fonoti to Vikings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BengalFan, Oct 18, 2005.

1. BengalFan

BengalFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's official, right before the trade deadline Fonoti, who the Chargers broke off talks with just a couple of weeks ago. Is now a Minnesota Viking. Is there any other worse NFL franchise to go to? I think not.

Full story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2195073

We will miss you here in San Diego, good luck Fonoti. You will be missed.

Chargers also look toward the future of the QB situation: Chargers get AJ Feely from Miami. Now things are going to get real interesting form both Drew Brees, and Phillip Rivers. This move will give the Chargers another bonafide back-up, so if Rivers decides to sit out, it wont hur the team, and if they decide to let Bress go, it wont hurt either.

Full story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2195073
  2. Gatchaman

Gatchaman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Chargers acquire backup QB, trade Fonoti

Good luck to Cleo. He deserves to start somewhere. Fonoti we will mis big time. He is a dominant run blocker who could have been an annual pro bowler. But his weight was a huge issue. Here is the complese SDUT article.

The Chargers made two moves before Tuesday's NFL trading deadline that could net them a pair of sixth-round draft picks for 2006.

The team parted with third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon to acquire A.J. Feeley and a sixth-round pick from the Miami Dolphins.

They also sent guard Toniu Fonoti to the Minnesota Vikings for a conditional seventh-round pick in a good-bye that has been anticipated for more than a week.

The seventh-round pick from Minnesota can become a sixth-rounder if Fonoti is active for six games or starts three games for the Vikings. Fonoti, who had hand surgery Oct. 4, is expected to be healthy enough to play in a week or two.

While the move for Feeley, an experienced backup and starter, prompted speculation the Chargers would more willingly move Philip Rivers or Drew Brees after the season, that is not necessarily the case.

"We can do whatever we want to," General Manager A.J. Smith said. "It's (about) stockpiling good players and hopefully making the right decisions at the end of the year."

Smith has said recently he would be comfortable keeping both Brees and Rivers.

Feeley, 28, is in his fifth year in the league. He started eight games for the Dolphins last season after signing a five-year, $18 million contract. But playing under a new coach this summer, he lost a battle with Gus Frerotte in training camp and has been the team's third quarterback. He has not thrown a pass this season.

Fonoti had lost his starting job after an injury, and was unlikely to win it back.

Fonoti had sought a contract extension, which the team was unwilling to give. They had wanted to see how his weight and health progressed before deciding after this season whether he warranted a large new contract when he became an unrestricted free agent. Fonoti did not return a phone message, but his agent said the parting was a positive move.

"He is very pleased to get a fresh start," Steve Feldman said. "He's been ready to go for a while."
  3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Well, he obviously didn't want to be here any more. I understand where AJ was coming from. Why put so much money into a player who is having problems keeping his weight down and is injury prone. Plus he has had personal issues almost every year. It's too bad that we couldn;t get a bit more for a Guard of his calibur. I wish Fonoti the best of luck in Minnesota.

As far as the AJ Feely trade is concerned, it does not exactly signify that the Bolt's will move Rivers or Brees. The Bolts knew that Cleo would leave next year so they went ahead and moved him and got another QB under a multi year contract. Lemon is one hell of a QB may get an opportunity to start for Miami this season.
  4. Turboe

Turboe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Please excuse a MN Vikings fan here, you guys have a great looking site here. I love the Bolts colors and they make for a good looking site here as well.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks on here about our newest player Mr. Fonoti (By the way would one of you tell me for sure how both of his names are pronounced. I have heard a couple different ways.) I enjoyed reading the comments above and welcome any other insight (be it positive or negative). I know what managements position was, but what did most of the fans think about loosing him?

Also what side Guard did he play for ya'll?

Thanks again for putting up with an interloper like me.
  5. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It still sucks to lose Fonoti especially after his great season last year. I hope the Chargers made the right decision.
  6. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to the site Turboe. You guys got one hell of a lineman. He is a monster and will plow through anyone that gets in his way. Fonoti played LG for us and is one of the best run blockers in the league. His pass blocking can use some improvement, but it can get alot better especially if he loses some weight.

Speaking of weight, that is his biggest fault. He hovers close to 400 lbs and has trouble controling it. As far as pronouncing his name, say it like this "Tonyu Phonoti". You guys got a great deal only giving up a 7th rounder for him. We'll miss him here in SD.
  7. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site Turboe! :kegger:

Fonoti is my favorite lineman is simply a beast on the field. He can pancake a guy with no effort. I'd have to say that you guys got the better of the deal.
  8. Turboe

Turboe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Goodness knows we can use any help we can get at this point, our season is quickly going down the toilet. Fortunately for us it wont take much to win the hapless NFC North.

So you pronounce it toe-NE-u pho-NO-tee with the emphasis on the middle sylable in both names?

By the way you guys have some great looking sigs on here.
  9. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Turboe. Sorry to see the Vikings start off like this. Funny how both Moss and Culpepper have only 1 win so far this season. I heard that Dante might be on his way out. Any truth to this?
  10. Turboe

Turboe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Certainly some fans are calling for him to be benched (I am not one of them) but I dont take the trade rumors seriously. I guess management can be planning things and keeping them on the QT but I doubt it.

Belive it or not I dont think he was that far off on Sun against a good Bears D. One of the two INT was tipped, the other looked like a bad route. And I think if his knee was healty you add the further variable of his running that has been lacking this year and there isnt as much wrong with Daunte as some might believe. Add to that the fact that he is not getting any time in the pocket (but hopefully Fonoti will help with that). Certainly he has made some very poor decisions this year, but then again that seems to be the entire theme of the Vikings season (witness the boat cruise).
  11. blitznd33

blitznd33 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    A big loss for us but a move that need to be done. Let's pray that our line stays healthy.
  12. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    That's definitely a concern considering that both Hardwick and Olivea are still banged up. Leander Jordan did ok last game, but got beat on 2 blitzes from the outside.