1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Will Fire Norv Turner, Possibly A.J. Smith At Season's End, According To Report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +242 / 22 / -3
    Keep AJ. One last try. IMO the line of teams that would INSTANTLY request AJs service is dwarfing the list of potential GM canidates that have enuff pedigree to come in and be better than AJ in less than 3 years. Plz jus dont let us get Pioli'd.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,205 / 37 / -21
    The NFL is about QBs and HCs and he Chiefs have neither, but they seem to have everything else. A #1 target in Bowe, an elite RB in Charles, a solid offensive line, bookend pass rushers in Hali and Houston, Derrick Johnson, a shutdown CB in Flowers, a Pro Bowl caliber safety, a potential NT of the future in Poe.....thats all Scott Pioli. They are the Chargers circa 2003 maybe swapping a position or two, they just need to find a HC and a QB.

3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +833 / 54 / -42
    Thats a pretty good analogy there Matti ......

Imagine if Pioli had of had the "smarts" of an Elway ?...............hell, they may even have got by with Romeo, as long as he was able to leave his ego at the door like Fox has and let Peyton call the shots on Offense. ;)

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,205 / 37 / -21
    You think Scott Pioli looked Peyton Manning in the eye and said...."no you can't run your offense, Romeo knows best"? I'm not sure why Peyton chose Denver over KC but I doubt it was because of Pioli.

5. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +833 / 54 / -42
    NO ............. I doubt Peyton even spoke or looked at Pioli, end of story. :D

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +242 / 22 / -3
    Manning didnt even give KC a serious consideration because the market is so small in comparison. Also who the hell wants to live in Mizery??

7. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +833 / 54 / -42
    That last one is tough to argue with ...... ;)

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I'm sure that a big factor for Manning going to Denver over KC was that Denver didn't have another QBs salary cap number crippling the team.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +242 / 22 / -3
    No, come on now Ike! KC would have dropped Cassell faster than something that is hot. ALSO I remember that KC was 1st in cap space last year with around 30 mil to spend.

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    3 years of accelerated prorated signing bonus would've been a burden. 20 mil of that would've gone to Payton, and a few mil would've gone to Cassel's bonuses. Cassel was going to eat 10+ mil of cap space whether he was on the roster or not.

Manning liked that he could go to Den and have 2 of his former teammates catching the ball for him, plus 2 quality WRs. In KC he would've had 0 familiar targets, Bowe was in a holdout, and Baldwin wasn't exactly a model citizen his first year in the league. Manning wants guys who come to work. He saw that at Den, he didn't see that at KC.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +242 / 22 / -3
    Exactly KC had ZERO chance to land PM. They did do the right thing and played along as a potential suitor. Where PM landed was entirely up to him.

12. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -1
    What did you do run a search on Norv being fired and then go running with those stories here? What about what the announcers for today's game said about Norv being fired at the end of the year, does that track back to you posting old articles or is there a new report out that is fresh to this week?

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,720 / 39 / -8
    You dont keep up with current events much do ya? You might be over thinking the impact a fan forum has on the world if you think any rumors start here and get reported on national TV.

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +519 / 13 / -3
    Well if we have performances like we did today, and go 8-8 I could see Norv and AJ here another year. :mad:

I hope not, even Norv told Jim Nantz and Phil Sims everybody knows whats going to happen at seasons end, he wants to play it out for his coaching staff so they can land jobs elsewhere.

15. SDChargers1982

SDChargers1982 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Pioli in San Diego? What do you think? I'd like it.

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Report has been refuted.

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Good, cause he ****** KC to hell and back again.

18. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    I would not be happy with that.

19. SDChargers1982

SDChargers1982 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    where there's smoke there's fire...

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Or a smoke machine...

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 19 / -4
    Because the only thing better than an unsuccessful GM over last few years is one with a worse track record

Hell no

22. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +861 / 5 / -0
    And while the Chargers are at it, fire the team doctor too! Worthless Quack!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,837 / 48 / -26
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +861 / 5 / -0
    mccoy quote.jpg

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +828 / 22 / -1
    Plus a defense that put them in the playoffs and won a game despite having one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

26. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    How does pioli have a worse record than smith? Did he miss on 90% of his first rounders completely? Didnt he improve on the chiefs' 2008 2-14 season? Brady, welker, moss, berry make a pretty good track record imo

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Belichick's had the lion's share of the personnel decision-making stroke in New England dating back to well when Pioli was there. The two of them collaborated but The Hoodie always had final say.

Pioli in KC has a better track record on mid-rounders (barely) than AJ, but really not so much on 1st rounders:
    - Took a middling 5-Tech DE at #3 overall (Tyson Jackson) with a prototypical 0-Tech/NT (BJ Raji) on the board, while trying to build a 3-4 defense. That defies reason.
    - A "BPA" safety pick in Eric Berry which wasn't a terrible pick, but for a team like KC who was still trying to flesh out both sides of the ball it's a bit of a luxury pick; then he turns around and uses his 2nd round pick on perennial "roleplayers" in McCluster and Arenas (which isn't that exactly something people have been critical of AJ for?)
    - With his team in desperate need of a NT to flesh out their 3-4 and Phil Taylor (the top-rated 0-tech in the class teed up), Pioli traded back to recoup all of an extra 3rd round pick (which granted was used on Justin Houston) to allow another team to draft said Taylor. And all this so that he could draft a WR after investing that same off-season a decent-sized chunk of change in a free agent WR (Breaston) who was slated to start opposite Bowe from the outset.

28. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this response. At the very least, those players you mentioned have contributed significant playing time. Jackson still started this year, and berry became a pro-bowler.. When AJ misses, its a whiff. And hes missed on most of his first rounders..

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I can't help but feel like you're equivocating some though. "Jackson started this year"... your point? So did Cason. If they start and their still not very good how does that make them much different? "Berry was a Pro Bowler." So was Ken Hamlin at one point; getting voted into the Pro Bowl is not a good indicator of quality particularly with the heavy slant given to the fan voting. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest nowadays. Berry played well as a rookie, but he honestly wasn't among the Top 2-3 in the conference at his position, and got a pretty heavy boost from the name recognition of being a Top 5 pick.

I'm not trying to out and out defend AJ, and I get that people don't feel that what AJ and Norv have produced is acceptable (I don't either). However, I keep seeing more and more where people are willing to suspend the criticisms they hurl at AJ and Norv when talking about their peers, for what seems like little more than to try and smear AJ and Norv even more.

30. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Yes ive been biased against AJ since the thing with Marty, but personally i think taking a 2-14 team to the playoffs in 3 years is way more than what AJ has done here. In fact, its the opposite. I just didnt see how Pioli had a worse track record than Smith, even recently.