1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers "Win"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Were it not for the increase in the wins column, we'd be in a 5 way tie for the 4th overall pick, and I think we'd be first in SOS. Here come 3 more wins to complete screw our draft position, while still not being good enough for the playoffs, and possibly giving Dean a reason to keep Smitty and Norv around.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Suck it, we won.

"You play to WIN the game".
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I see that you're looking forward to the continuation of the Turner/Smith era, as well as our upcoming 20th overall pick. Good for you.
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    I'm not looking forward to anything I can't control. Norv & AJ are gone, you can celebrate that.

I'll celebrate the win instead and enjoy rubbing the noses of whiny little bookyaks like yourself in it.
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Bold is not a word. You think Norv and AJ will be gone if they roll off another 3 wins? Really? I think that Spanos was irritated by the media reports that he's firing them, and will hang onto them if they win out.
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,687 / 39 / -8
    bookyaks?! :cautious:

BOOKyaks :unsure:

BOOKYAKS?! :roflmao:
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    You don't know what bookyak means? Google is your friend.

And yes, Norv & AJ are gone regardless how these last three games play out. You can celebrate that.
  8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    There is NO correlation between this win and the fallacy of a continuation of a Turner/Smith era.
    First round draft picks don't always pan out no matter where you pick.

Dean has NO choice now, but to at least fire Norv and quite possibly AJ as well.

First win against Stillers in regular season Chargers history! I'll take that.

:Caution: The following might be difficult to follow for the mentally conservative. :Caution:
    This team needs a winning mentality, not a mentality of let's lose for better draft position.
    That way of thinking coincides with how a certain group of people wish upon a certain
    leader of state to fail, which makes a certain nation fail, just so they can select a new leader
    that meshes with their skewed worldview. I know, slightly political, and if I'm wrong..then
    I'm wrong. (though I doubt it):bolt2:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    ^^^^^^^Post of the year candidate^^^^^^^
  10. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    You really are a closet AJ fan aren't you? Is Mattie in there with you? #Imjustasking
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    As far as AJ and Norv I agree...they are goners.

But the draft picks....I'd like to know that Joeckel will be there rather than hoping he will....and really thats all that was affected by this win, less security.
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You always want the team to have a winning mentality. That doesn't mean that it's not better for the team if they lose out the rest of the season. Bold is completely off base. I'm a Libertarian, neither of the candidates were acceptable to me, for a host of reasons on either side. I want America to do well under Obama, that doesn't mean that I think he's doing a good job, or leading the country in the way I think is best, constitutional (apparently the Supreme Court disagrees with me on this one), or "American".

Back to Football, Norv was a dead lock to get fired last season when we were 4-7. Then he rattled off a 4-1 record and was retained.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I hate him with my soul, but that's completely irrelevant to whether or not I think that Deano has the spine to fire them after another 8-8 season.
  14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Fine, then why dont you just come out and say that the team should just forfeit their remaining games to protect the players they want to keep? You already carry a loser mentality, why not go all the way?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    If it were an option, it would have been in there best interests to forfeit all remaining games after the Ravens loss. Actually, giving KC a "W" might've put us in position to pick 1st overall, so the 2nd KC game would've been the time. I love this talk of a "loser" mentality. Believe me, your attempts to insult me are as transparent as your belief that the NFL is a linear system of quality where the number of Ws accumulated year over year is a mark of increased performance and team quality. Winning 3 more games won't give this team a winning attitude, it won't improve them for next season, and it won't result in anything other than diminishing our opportunities for improving our team. If we win the next three games, which, since that's the worst outcome for the team, will most likely now happen, we will have done the equivalent of trading back 15 spots in the draft in exchange for nothing.
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Since you want to play word nazi, CAPS is the correct word.

And with the above post you just proved how you posess a loser mentality. Wishing your team to not just lose, but FORFEIT their remaining games is beyond weak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joy Division

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Let's just stick with this logic. If we lose enough games for the next 3 seasons, we could end up with 3 overall #1 draft picks. Sounds good to me.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +770 / 5 / -0
    The Chargers should change their names to the Quilts. At least they won with a patchwork team. And they covered the spread... No pun intended.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You play to win Championships. You should listen to more Vince Lombardi and less Herm Edwards. Talk about a loser mentality. Also, you should've capitalized "Nazi", as it's a proper noun. Thank you for correcting my typo, my touchpad on my laptop has been acting up, probably as a result of my 10 month old banging on the keyboard like it's a piano, resulting in many lost trains of thought and unfortunate editing errors.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    But that's not the logic he is employing at all. He is referring to this season.
  21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    LOL!

Says the man who wishes forfeiting all the remaining games is an option.
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You're not grasping the argument, which is why you drug it out to a false conclusion, albeit a logical one based on your misunderstanding. If the team is in a losing season (can't make the playoffs), there is nothing to be gained by winning. Winning in the regular season is in fact only rewarded in so far as it allows a team to advance to the postseason. In the context of a single season, when winning no longer provides this possibility, winning then serves only to punish the team in question by reducing their ability to select the most talented incoming players. Moreover, additional wins forestall changes in management or on the coaching staff, which would otherwise benefit the health of the roster. Look at Buffalo's decade of mediocrity and ask, "Why did it happen?" Because they weren't good enough to make the playoffs, but weren't bad enough to bring in the level of talent they needed. Look at Indy. Coaching change, massive roster improvement, and they went from 2-14 to (so far) 9-4 with a virtually guaranteed playoff berth.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Loser mentality to the end.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    You strike me as the kind of guy who would advise a Democrat Presidential Candidate to invest all of their advertising dollars into CA, because it has the most votes. Seeing the bigger picture, rather than its component parts, doesn't appear to be your strong suit.
  25. Joy Division

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    You're not explaining the loser argument well enough. Now though, I think I understand what you're saying. Now, let's see if I can explain my side, which I'll lamely call the "winning culture" side. Players in the NFL are conditioned to win. So it's not a mental thing where guys are thinking, "hey, let's lose so we get a better draft pick." Teams are built to win (hopefully) every game they are in. Having a winning culture means that you expect to win on a consistent basis. Teams like the Patriots and the Steelers and the Giants are always in the playoffs, not because they play for draft position. They are rewarded a late first round selection because they have the talent to always expect to win. You threw a few team names out there and I'll do the same. Look at the Browns, look at the Bengals, look at the Lions...those teams constantly choose in the top 10 in every draft since the invention of football. Is it because they use "strategery" (excuse the Bushism) to get that top draft pick? No, it's because they have a "losing culture". They can't ever seem to get their shite together and a large part of it is because right around the mid-season mark, they give up. They're not built for the long haul. But hey, they get another top 10 pick. Not just one top 10 pick every few years..no, a top 10 pick every year. What has this gotten them? It hasn't gotten them shite, when you have a "losing culture".
    You play to win every game. Screw draft position. I remember one year we had the number 2 overall selection. Ring a bell? How did that pan out? Okay, well it's been nice and I'll let you get your last argument in because frankly, I know we'll never agree on this topic.
    Adios, got to go start a bonfire outside...and enjoy the win against Pittsburgh with a drink and a fire and some knucklehead kids running around.
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    First, you again misunderstood. This has nothing to do with what the players think or the coaches want, it's simply the outcome which is best for the team. Of course you don't want players who think, "wow, we should lose this game and get an awesome pick next year."

false, they're awarded a late first round selection because the NFL assigns the last 12 picks based on order of elimination in the playoffs and quality of record.

They consistently had top ten picks, because they consistently blew them on epic draft busts, and none of those teams had QBs until Stafford, Dalton, and possibly Weeden came along. The act of pairing Dalton and Green, and Stafford and Megatron, took both of those teams to the playoffs last season.

Again, the players play to win the game. That doesn't mean that that's the outcome we as fans should be rooting for, or that it's the optimal outcome for the team. One year we had the number 3 selection and traded up to snag a QB who had sucked his whole career but who had a great statistical game in a losing effort at a bowl game, and was fat. Obviously, picking like a moron doesn't improve your team. Winning in the regular season doesn't either.
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    And wanting their team to forfeit their remaining games STILL proves your loser mentality.
    • Old Old x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Well there is a difference between fans who think with their hearts and fans who think with their heads.

I'll go for the big picture over the warm fuzzy feeling of a meaningless win, that will be long forgotten come January 1st.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Then you and Ikeman share the same loser's mentality. Enjoy it.