1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chili Recipes R Us Bring em!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wrbanwal, Feb 15, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

my gawd woman, Do you have ONE fault!!!!???

:nana_love:
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

If you threw like anything but a girl I'd be worried!!!!

:icon_shrug:

:lol:
  3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]One item that goes incredibly well with just about any kind of Chili is good old fashioned Cornbread. I've got my own "habits" when it comes to baking cornbread - one example is that the mix is ALWAYS poured into a square, pre-heated cast iron skillet if its in the kitchen or a pre-heated dutch oven if its out at the camp ground.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Last spring that same buddy that gave me the hints vacuum packing liquids, (soup, chili, etc.), put out some excellent cornbread at a dinner he hosted for us and it was damn good! Here is a copy of his recipe:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jalapeno & Cheese Cornbread[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 1/2[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]cup yellow cornmeal[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1/2 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]cup all purpose white flour[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1/4 [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]cup sugar[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 tablespoon baking powder[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 cup milk[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]cup vegetable oil[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 ea egg (large), lightly beaten[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 ea 4 oz can chopped jalapeno[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]3 1/2[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ounce cheddar cheese, shredded[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Preheat oven to 400 F.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Combine dry ingredients medium bowl.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Combine milk, oil, and egg in small bowl. Mix well. Add mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until blended. Pour into pan.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Mix, then add chilis and cheese. Fold in.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]If recipe is doubled, use a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Try reducing oil to 1/4 cup when using cheese.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Afterthought: If you want a simple Heavenly meal that is easy to prepare - try the above recipe and cook off a pot of Navy beans. Garnish with finely diced onion and don't kiss anybody for a spell. ;)
    [/FONT]
  4. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Its a little off topic since all it is is open a can and heat it up, but possibly worth sharing.

Campbells soup has put out a relatively new line of "Chunky, Fully Loaded" stuff so I decided to try some. As you might suspect I was unimpressed with their so-called "Firehouse Chili with beans" - but I just finished a whole 18.8 oz can of their "Campbells Chunky Fully Loaded Rigatoni & Meatballs" and it was GOOD! (Which might explain why I ate over a pound of it). ;)

They use the really big rigatoni and it looks something like this in the pan:
    [​IMG]

Of course I just HAD to kick it up a notch with some Tabasco Sauce - but sure found it satisfying... Then I noticed the can's "use before" date was Jun 14, 2009 - you can bet I'll be putting about half a case in our emergency supplys and the other half in the larder.

Sure hope their Stew is as good as that Rigatoni!
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    DW has been hiding lately ......
  6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Not you ... he must be busy. I have the ultra top secret red hotline, and he ain't answering.
  7. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    If he were around you can bet he would be commenting about that calf starting at the "ornaments" in your avatar! ;):lol:
  8. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Sorry to hear that - was kind of looking forward to it.

BTW, That old buddy of mine just called to give their (Campbells) new "Chicken & Sausage Gumbo" a thumbs up. Albertsons is apparently carrying it on special 2 for $3 right now. He is somewhat of a Cajun food junkie and if something is passable out of a can for him that is real unusual. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    In keeping with the title of this thread - thought I would address "Texas style" chili.. There are at least 100 towns and cities that try to lay claim to being the birthplace of chili - half of them are in old Mexico - but one of the most popular legends about the origin of chili (and the most pleasing to me) is that it originated along the cattle trails in Texas. That is the justification used by the folks that judge most of the chili cook-offs and contests in Texas for not allowing "fillers" in contestant's chili - chunks of tomato are particularly banned along with beans, rice, corn, macaroni, etc. (Chili poured over, or mixed with, rice is popularly known as "New Orleans Chili").

Here is a recipe that I can slip by my cousins (born and raised in the San Antonio, TX area):

PASSABLE TEXAS CHILI

1 lb lean beef
    1 lb breakfast sausage (NOT links) - I like Jimmy Dean
    6 tablespoons chili powder - more is optional.
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 large white onion, diced
    3 garlic cloves - crushed, peeled, then finely diced - or use garlic powder instead
    3/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons masa harina flour or finely ground cornmeal - thickening agent
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    16 ounces water or beer - I prefer beer
    1/2 cup warm water
    1. The sausage used for this recipe is pork country style like Jimmy Dean or Owens roll etc.
    2. Brown meat together in a large 12 inch skillet and drain excess fat.
    3. Stir in tomato sauce and 16 ounces of water or beer.
    4. Add all ingredients except cayenne pepper and masa.
    5. Simmer 30 minutes.
    6. Add cayenne pepper (you can always add more later).
    7. Mix masa and ½ cup warm water with a fork. Add to chili and stir well.
    8. Simmer 20 minutes. You can simmer for hours if you want, just stir every 30 minutes.
    9. Chow down.
    10. This is great by itself or to make nachos, top cheese enchiladas, frito pie, quite good rolled in a flour tortilla with cheddar etc -- or you can pretend you transported yourself to New Orleans and pour it over white rice while watching the obvious disgust of any Texans present.
    "Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili." — Alleged last words of Kit Carson, frontiersman.
  10. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    I detested being sent to Fort Bliss, Texas, back in the early 80s with a passion. A Navy Master Chief has absolutely NO reason to be sent TAD there I don't care what "joint services project" the eggheads have come up with! I do have to admit though that I enjoyed a few of the best meals of my life there off-base at the Land and Cattleman's Restaurant up on the side of the hill outside one of the Western gates. Had a few great grilled steaks that were right up there with anything you can get from Ruth's Chris - but instead of baked potato they offered a bowl of very spicy pinto beans and I've been in love with them ever since!

PASSABLE TEXAS CHILI BEANS

1 pound pinto beans
    3 quarts cold water
    1 large onion -- diced
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 cup chili sauce
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon cumin - (I like it spicy)
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper - (see above)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 pack of beer for the cook

Clean and rinse pinto beans. Soak overnight in enough cold water to cover well. I drape a dish towel over the bowl. Drain beans and place all ingredients except salt into a large (4-quart) pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook about 90 minutes or until beans are tender. You can garnish them with sliced onion, grated cheese, or both - but I like them just the way they come out of the pot - but have been known to splash Trappy's Hot Peppers in Vinegar (pepper sauce) over my bowl.

These are the beans that should never be cooked in the chili according to the Texican portion of my family, (the ones I love but patiently ignore). They certainly fill the bill of a side dish, especially with a nice slab of grilled beef as the main course.

Afterthought: Something I've been meaning to try for a long time is to toss in a hamhock or two and increase the cooking time accordingly. Don't see how that could miss.
  11. DefenseWins

DefenseWins New Member

Ratings Received:
    +246 / 0 / -0
    :lol:I ain't skeered of no stinking lemon :no::icon_tease:

I had a nice serving (or 2) of Silly Chili Lasanga last night though:tounge:
    [​IMG]
    Like other things, once you get past how it looks, it tastes great :yes::lol:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Another recipe I'll have to try. The chili recipe went over great, with little to no ill effects afterward. Thanks Dave!
  13. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Good to hear OLP! Glad you enjoyed it... :tup:
  14. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Recipe? :icon_huh:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    THE WONDERFUL VIDALIA ONION
    More than just an ingredient/garnish for Chili.

Elsewhere, DFW recently reminded me of Vidalia brand onions which are sweeter than most and I was reminded of my Dad's facination/observation that no other food changed its flavour quite as dramatically between raw and cooked as the onion. Vidalia's are particularly sweet and very, very good in either state (if you like onions).

Do you know of any other onion that has their own domain on the Internet? Vidalia does: http://www.vidaliaonion.org/

Even Wikipedia has quite a writeup on the Vidalia onion - including the fact that: "Georgia's state legislature passed the "Vidalia Onion Act of 1986" which authorized a trademark for "Vidalia Onions" and limits the production area to Georgia or any subset as defined by the state's Commissioner of Agriculture."

~~~

I'm not crazy about her TV show on Food Network, but I do love to grill stuff and here is one of her vidalia-related recipes I am absolutely going to try soon:

Paula Deen's Saturday Night Vidalia® Onions

Ingredients
    • 1 large Vidalia Onion per person
    • 1 tablespoon butter per Vidalia Onion
    • 1 beef bouillon cube per Vidalia Onion
    • Pepper to taste
    Instructions

Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill. Trim a slice from the top of each Vidalia Onion, and peel the Vidalia Onion without cutting off the root end. With a potato peeler, cut a small cone-shaped section from the center of the Vidalia Onion. Cut the Vidalia Onion into quarters from the top down, stopping within a half inch of the root end. Place a bouillon cube in the center, slip slivers of butter in between the sections, and sprinkle with pepper.
    Wrap each Vidalia Onion in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Place the Vidalia Onions directly onto the hot coals and cook for 45 minutes, turning every so often. Or, bake the foil-wrapped Vidalia Onions in a 350°F oven for about 45 minutes.
    Serve in individual bowls because the Vidalia Onions produce a lot of broth, which tastes like French onion soup. Serves one onion per person.

Nutrition Information
    • Per serving: 250 Calories
    • 12g Fat (44% calories from fat)
    • 3g Protein
    • 35g Carbohydrate
    • 30mg Cholesterol
    • 400mg Sodium
    SIDE NOTE: I've used beef bullion cubes most of my life - but as I've gotten older I've been drawn to a German/Austrian product my Mother-in-law introduced me to some time ago Called "Maggi beef flavor instant bullion" which is in a powder form. On a cold evening camping, 1 teaspoon in a cup of boiling water makes an *excellent* cup of beef broth. Contains its own seasonings. Maggie products are sold in Albertson's markets and elsewhere. [The powder is not to be confused with their Maggi seasoning (liquid) which I use like, or in place of, soy sauce.]
  16. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Shammy's Savory Salmon

Buy a whole side of a salmon fish. The one I bought was 2.3 lbs. I had the fish guy cut it into four equal portions, but those were BIG pieces. Each piece was more than enough for me, and probably double what my wife would eat.

The night before you are going to cook the meal, you need to prepare a rub. For a fish the size I bought, here is the rub ingredients.

4 (8-10 ounce) salmon fillets (rinsed and hand patted dry)
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin

Use a small mixing dish and combine the dark brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, and ground cumin. I used a spoon to mix well. Sometimes the mustard will be stuck into little balls, so grind those with your mixing tool to combine well with the other ingredients.

The recipe called for placing the salmon on a foil lined baking sheet. I didn't do it like that. Instead, I put the fillets in a large tupperware container than I could seal, and evenly spread the olive oil over the fish. Spoon it on, then rub it evenly, to include the sides of the fillets. Don't worry if you use too much olive oil.

Spoon the rub mix onto the fish, and spread evenly with your hands. Lightly pat it into the fish meat. Again, I used a Tupperware container, so cover your fish, and then refrigerate overnight.

Cooking: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper instead of aluminum foil. Less chance for the fish skin to stick. I cooked my fillets for 14 minutes. They were just perfect. Mine were a little thick, and the recipe called for 10-12 minutes. Check the fish around 10-12 minutes, and if they are opaque in the middle, then they are done. Don't overcook.

I made a long grain wild rice, and steamed asparagus. Ceaser salad and french bread. Gewurztraminer wine (brand Fetzer).

We just got done with this dinner. It's the best meal I've made in a long time. Surprise your wife and make her a meal she'll love !!!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Our family loves to eat Quesadillas as a snack. Basically, its just a heated flour tortilla folded over with melted cheese inside. (Be careful to let them cool a little bit before you bite into one and get a mouth full of hot cheese-flavored lava). "Queso" is Spanish for cheese.

Last night the wife made some that were "kicked up a notch". She used a half and half mixture of shredded jack cheese and shredded pepper jack cheese (with jalapeño) she had picked up from Albertsons market and they were GOOD!

My Grandkids like to use hot salsa like a "dipping sauce" with them - (guess where they learned that from). Of course they go GREAT with chili too!

I'll be requesting some more of them to snack on during this weekends Charger game as long as it is televised in a location I can receive.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    I cooked off a pot of those "Passable Texas Chili Beans" today and followed through with adding a hamhock to the recipe - wound up also adding about half a glass of flour/water as a thickening agent and served them with the soup rather than drained "Texas style" and it went over very well. Goes great as a side dish to just about any kind of grilled beef - folks leaving my pondee today all had big smiles on their faces. :icon_toast:

I would normally have had cornbread to go with it, but it was pretty warm today and I didn't care to light off the oven.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    The Holiday Season is a time for quick/easy comfort food in between large feasts and the associated period of leftovers (we call that period "gourmet" dining).

Meatloaf is one dish that just begs for the title "comfort food" and fits this time of year perfectly. Of course, I just HAVE to kick it up a notch with Chili & Cumin powder, jalapeños, cayenne pepper and some refried beans. :D

Tex Mex Meatloaf

INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 Tbsp. minced jalapeño pepper (I use canned)
    • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
    • 1 egg
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
    • 1 Tsp. cumin powder
    • 1 cup refried beans (or about half a can)
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (more if you dare)
    • 1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
    • 1/2 lb. ground pork
    • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In pre-heated heavy skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. I add the jalapeños at this point and stir it around for about 20 seconds or so while still over the heat. In large bowl, combine egg, water, chili powder, salt, refried beans, and sauteed vegetables/peppers.

Mix well until thoroughly combined. Add ground beef and pork and mix thoroughly with hands. Pat mixture into a loaf shape on a broiling pan with slits and an under pan to catch grease. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, until internal temperatures registers 160 degrees F. Sprinkle meatloaf with cheese and bake 5 minutes more until cheese melts. Turn onto serving platter, cover, and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.

Some folks, including my Mother-in-law & wife, use small bread pans for their "normal" meatloaf - but try the slitted broiling pan with a catch pan and you will enjoy the result. ;) With small bread pans this is a great dish to prepare in a Dutch Oven on those camping/fishing excursions.
  20. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Chili Gravy

Early in this thread, I mentioned that there is no reason to avoid using good Chili anyplace you would use brown gravy - but if you want to follow the Tex-Mex addicted side of our family from San Antone, you use regulation "chili gravy" - this is particularly good over enchiladas or "wet burritos", but suitable for just about anything you want to "kick up a notch".

"The lifeblood of old-fashioned Tex-Mex, chili gravy is a cross between Anglo brown gravy and Mexican chili sauce. It was invented in Anglo-owned Mexican restaurants." -- Robb Walsh

Ingredients:
    • 1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    • 1 1/2 tsp powdered garlic
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
    • 2 tbsp chili powder
    • 2 cups chicken broth or water (I use water)
    Preparation:

Heat the lard in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue to stir for 3-4 minutes until is makes a light brown roux. Add all of the dry ingredients and continue to stir for about a minute assuring everything is blended evenly. Add the broth/water and continue to stir until the sauce thickens.

Turn the heat low and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes, adding more water to adjust the thickness to your own preference.

Makes about 2 cups.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    OK, so its winter - I've got several "bricks" of good chili set up in the freezer - what's next? How about a

Chili Pot Pie

INGREDIENTS:
    • thaw out your chili to fit in a nice deep pie pan, casserole or small dutch oven
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup cornmeal
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 3/4 cup milk
    • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
    • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack
    • 1 tablespoon chopped green chile peppers, mild or jalapeno
    PREPARATION:

Place chili in a deep dish pie plate, casserole dish or Dutch Oven.
    In a medium bowl sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. Add butter, milk and egg; stir the batter until dough it is just combined. Gently stir in the cheese and the chile peppers. Cover the top of the chili filling with the mixture. Bake in the center of preheated 400° oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° and bake for 30 minutes longer, or until nicely browned.

Of course if you are cooking outside using the Dutch Oven with coals, you will have to modify the cooking times - estimate your Oven temperature at about 300-325 degrees and adjust accordingly - keep about 2/3rds of the coals on the lid remembering you want to brown the "pie cover". ;)

OBTW, you can get away with using Bisquick, don't bother sifting if you do and you can skip the milk, using water instead - egg then becomes optional. I haven't tried this one with pepperjack cheese yet - but already know it will be GOOD when I do. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    From my buddy Reg, in Williamston, NC-

Gents,

All that talk about BBQ worked up some hunger pangs so I had to go commit cooking / baking.

Try this for a buncha real good snacks:

1 pound of HOT sausage
    10 oz pack of grated Monterey Jack cheese
    3 cups of Bisquick
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Dump the whole mess in a big mixing bowl and squish it all together with both hands until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.

2. Once completely mixed, form a grapefruit-sized ball.

3. Preheat the oven to 335 degrees.

4. Pinch off 1 inch-sized pieces of the mixture, roll into a ball and place on a greased (Pam) baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

5. This will make about 48 of them little bites. Alla them what get left over, if any, can be frozen for later.

Note: I baked the second batch at 337.5 degrees for 21 minutes and 12 seconds. They came out real good.

There may not be very many left over to freeze.

6. This might ought to be #1...... Wash your hands real good before mixing up the stuff barehanded.

Reg, enjoyin' mah sausage & cheese balls
  23. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    This is about the other kind of "chili" - specifically the Jalapeño chili pepper...

First, let me say that I love spicy foods... Some would say I enjoy them too much - but up to my current age, it hasn't appeared to do my gastronomic system any permanent damage.

Last week a good friend introduced me to "Guiliano Hot & Spicy Jalapeño Spread", (bless him). My hot dogs, hamburgers, and anything else that needs to be kicked up a notch or three will never be the same. Who would have thought that an Italian family would know anything about Jalapeños peppers? In the past I've enjoyed several of their products, including some excellent pepperoncinis, yellow wax peppers, and hot pickled vegetables - but Jalapeños? Who would have "thunk" it?

This product has the consistency and appearance of relish - and in my humble opinion can, should, and WILL be used anywhere you would normally use relish... However, before the kids get "damaged" it might be a good idea to train the smarter ones to smell test their "relish" before putting it on their hot dog. <evil little grin>

While camping this past week, I grilled off a mess of Hillshire Farms Hot Links, which are pretty spicy in their own right... My family prefers them over traditional hot dogs and they are a lot handier than brats. Had one in a hot dog bun with spicy mustard and a big fork full of that jalapeño spread and I may never touch another jar of relish for my personal use again. Our eldest grand daughter (13) wound up eating two of them (she applied her own spread) - then asked for another about 30 minutes later. (Her little sister opted for traditional relish).

"Blue Cheese Hamburgers"? NO WAY - I'll just fix mine up with a slice or two of pepperjack cheese, onion, jalapeño spread and spicy mustard thank you!