1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Cooley ridicules name-change effort, says he’s now protesting the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsNHoes, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Why do we have a BB team in San Diego named the Padres? They brought nothing but death and disease to the Native peoples of California.

49ers? The Gold rush resulted in the effective enslavement of hundreds of thousands of Chinese immigrants. I can do this all day.
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Folks the term "redskin" refers to scalp of a dead Indian-named so for the underside which is covered in bloody tissue--not named for the color of the Indian.

[​IMG]

The above is from an ad that ran in a Minnesota newspaper in 1863.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
    Yep, and you'd still be clueless to think that any of those comparisons is the same.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. walt88

walt88 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't read this entire thread, but I just wanted to share. I'm an alumni of what used to be the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. NCAA has now made us resign that nickname and we are simply North Dakota now until 2016 I think when we can get a new nick name.

Regardless, as a male with no Indian ties what-so-ever I have seen first hand the racism that the nickname has caused around here over the years. Now, one would think that a Fighting Sioux might mean a warrior and it would be a compliment but Native Americans and non-Native Americans have found it very offensive at school events, etc. The biggest thing that I have seen is the opposing teams that we played in sporting events. The slurs towards Native Americans from the opposing fans were ridiculous. And it's only got worse through out the years.

I supported on keeping the nick name right away (at UND), but when you take a step back and look at it from that perspective, some change is sometimes needed in this society that we live in. The "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" mentality is unfortunately mostly forgotten in our society, but on the other side of that, it seems that racism will never be "over" or "forgotten".
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    uh, no, it isn't. The Delaware Indians were referred to as Redskins in the 18th century, a hundred years before this was printed.
  6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    These are not mutually exclusive facts (assuming your statement is factual). A Delaware "Indian" in the 18th century could have lovingly been referred to as a "Redskin." The context in 1863 Minnesota was, evidently, less affectionate.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    They are, actually, mutually exclusive facts. If you say that something was named for X referencing an ad in the 1860s, and I point to this (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/redskin), from a time before we were paying for scalps, it kind of precludes the origin you suggest from being the origin of the term.
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Obtuseman is obtuse...
  9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    Sure, origin is mutually exclusive. The facts I state in my post refer to usage, not origin. I'm not co-signing CBFs assessment that the word 'came from' here or there because it doesn't matter where the word came from. F@ggot wasn't always a pejorative for homosexuals (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/fagot). But you probably wont see the F@gs as a pro sports team any time soon.
  10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    The whole "where does it end?!" argument doesn't make sense to me. Obviously there's a difference between an actual racial pejorative being offensive to the race in question, and the types of leaps we can make with any name such as "Padres."
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Just a different form of rationalization.

Odd how a group subject to persecution can defend it being done to others.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Unless that sports team were utilizing the crucifixion as part of their uniform.
  13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +772 / 5 / -0
    I'm surprised that Greenpeace hasn't jumped aboard (no pun intended) to keep a certain team from South Florida from using the name Dolphins...
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    They would have to team up with PETA for Detroit, Cincinnati, Denver, Indianapolis, Phili, Seattle, Buffalo, etc...
  15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    This is completely untrue. The vast majority of Native Americans groups have opposed the name for decades but have been largely ignored. I can remember large Native American protests against the name dating back to the 1970's and 80's. But the only reason the movement to change the name has gained any traction is because the cause has been embraced by more than just Native Americans. It's unfortunate that it takes a certain percentage of the broader majority to promote this cause before people take notice, but that doesn't mean it's not being driven by Native Americans. Sadly, there are not any Native Americans who will garner the attention Bob Costas does when he discusses the issue.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Chris Cooley is a jackass. With that being said, WWJD? (what would Jerry do?)
  17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +827 / 22 / -1
    It's pretty simple: substitute Blackskins for Redskins and see how that would fly. This whole thing is ridiculous, especially the people who want to equate a racial epithet to lightning, or other equally silly sh*t.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. FleeT

FleeT BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You guys have Babes here?