1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Congratulations to Ken Whisenhunt on his new job

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 12, 2014.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    oh we understand each other! your nothing but a whiney little B.I.T.C.H. who whines and cries every single chance you get! PHUQUE YOU!
    • Old Old x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Yet you're the one throwing the temper tantrum right now. And it doesn't make what I'm saying any less relevant, we talked all week about the possibility that Whiz might be affected by all these self inflicted distractions, so this thread should not come as a surprise after we got blanked for 3 quarters for the first time this year.

If you got a problem with me or you can't participate in the conversation like a grown up, then put me on ignore. That's my advice.
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Is he gone yet???????
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    I still don't see how anyone blames the defense for this loss. You look at the talent on Denver's offense versus our defense, and I have to say those guys played as well as could be expected, with the exception of Wright's dropped INT and a few missed tackles. The problem was they got no help from the offense at all until late in the third quarter. The playcalling in the first half was atrocious, and that's on Whiz. But where I diverge with this thread is the idea that Whiz somehow wasn't prepared because of his interviews. He was prepared. He just chose the wrong approach. Way way way too conservative in the first half. Which was a recurring problem all year. This week wasn't any different. This just happened to be the week where it really bit us in the a$$.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Whiz? Probably.

According to the UT Reich will be the new man, which I like because we don't want a mass exodus like back in 2006.
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    1111963.jpg
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    I agree with the first part, the defense gave us a chance to win or at least keep it close. It could have been worse if they had really folded like we saw a ton of other teams do over the year against Manning.

As far as Whiz...the reason I think it did affect him is because this game started like most of ours have this year, only worse. We were sloppy and flat footed, we wasted 2 extremely early timeouts, and instead of finishing the first half with 7 or 10 points (around our typical average) we had zero. Worse, it continued through the 3rd quarter.

Of course you don't have to buy it, but there it is.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    It's not like interviewing for a low skill job...it takes time to prepare
  9. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    • Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Hmmmm.....you called me a bitch, I recommended you to put me on ignore and this picture is your response? :confused:

Reverse psychology?:D
  11. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    So the players came out flat because Whiz interviewed for an HC job? That's just makes no sense. The O played like crap at the beginning for sure. The O line did not protect Rivers well and the players did not match Denver's intensity. The playcalling was way too conservative and predictable. But I fail to see how Whiz spending a few hours interviewing with other teams caused them to play so poorly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I think that under the circumstance of RM being injured the play calling was stagnant. They could have at least fooled the Denver D by a few runs up the middle with RM then a play action bomb to start the game. It might have surprised them. If not at least it would have look that they were trying to score. What about some WR screens? It worked on us. It seemed like the Wiz was not able to adapt fast enough to the changing dynamic of the offenses remaining personnel.
  13. VenomSyndrome

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Not to change the subject but who do we want to replace the Wiz? Cam Cam? LOL never again!
  14. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Agreed! Should have changed the game plan once he knew RM was out.
  15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    the plan is the QB coach would become the OC.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    I don't know about flat, but wide eyed, those two early TOs and the missed blocking assignments are a sign that they saw something they weren't ready for. Those are week 1-4 problems, not playoff problems. And I know Troutman was a sub, but he practiced all week, and has been here all year.

It felt like a copy/paste plan from week 15, that didn't predict the Broncos counter moves, nor make any changes in time.

Remember just my opinion, not trying to force it on anyone. I do feel Wiz was unprepared.
  17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Just think, McWhizzor, was probably running clandestine poaching interviews instead of drawing up the game plan.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. VenomSyndrome

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I agree with most of the logical statements posted, but I think everyone and there mother was looking for use to run the ball. I might have blown up Denver's whole defensive game plan if with started with a no huddle.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    He was daydreaming about coaching Matthew Stafford during the game and didn't get the plays called. That's why the early timeouts.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I really agree with this. It's not just the hour it takes on a phone hookup. It takes time to prepare and also a lot of mental energy. I'd expect there's a lot of pressure in the interview process to be innovative and stand out and getting ready for that would have to be draining.

Sure, there's enough hours in the day to spare a couple here or there. But I don't think we can expect anyone to do an intense full time job (preparing for the Broncos), and then add a few extra hours of intense mental activity for the interviews, and then not be a bit drained come Sunday.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    I don't agree. Wisenhunt has been hired as an HC before. He interviewed for HC jobs just last year. I think all the preparation that goes into the process had been done. And it's not like teams didn't know it was a game week. They wouldn't have expected to have endless hours to prepare for the interview. Mike McCoy interviewed with SD last year just a couple days after the Broncos loss. The team said they were blown away by his vision. Clearly, this had been something he'd been working on for a long time.
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Moderator Note:

If this turns into a bitch fight between posters we will shut the thread down and start suspending posters who are fighting. Stop this crap! If you find someone you dislike on the boards, ignore them!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/13/chargers-gates-rivers-broncos-whisenhunt/

Antonio Gates : "In my opinion, we should have come out and we should have done some things differently, based on how they played us. And that's something you learn from," he said. "So now, the next time we are in that situation, we remember vividly, this is what happened when we played the Broncos in 2014. Remember? They did this, and we did this, and it didn't work, so let's come with this, let's come with this counter."

Gates gave no specifics on play calls. When it was mentioned the Chargers could've passed more in the first half, he smiled and said, "pass a whole bunch more."

He noted the offense's fourth-quarter surge behind Philip Rivers' passing. "We still had an opportunity in the game,' he said, "and that's what happened. We started throwing the ball a lot. We should have done that in the first quarter. We had three receivers out there, and they had their base personnel. We had more opportunity."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    All the years and all the questionable coaching, and I never remember Gates making a comment like this. I guess we weren't the only ones that saw just how flawed Whiz's approach was in this game.

But Matilack you called it earlier in the week when you said you were afraid that Whiz would wait until we were down 14-0 before he opened up the playbook. That was my fear too. All the signs pointed to this being a problem. In Cincy, our first 10 first down plays were runs. That level of predictability makes it very hard for a team to be successful.
  25. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    was my "fear" too. Gates and company were fine with Norv even if the fans weren't
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Gates is one of the classiest guys in the league, he never speaks, and when he does he doesn't say much....so yeah that was pretty shocking. I can't think of a more credible voice outside of Rivers himself.

I guess we just need to hope the lesson was learned by Frank Reich.
  27. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +35 / 1 / -0
    Lol why are you guys beefing?? still lol
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    I do believe that the Whizz is a conservative coach has been a tag long worn, it just didn't happen this year.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 56m
    Tidbit I liked from yesterday: Ken Whisenhunt worked late in the day doing end-year Chargers evals & interviews before accepting Titans job
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    Well, McCoy seems to be a very analytical guy. So I hope he looks at these mistakes and corrects them for next season.
    • Funny Funny x 1