1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Contrary to popular belief, the Chargers are average

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 15, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
    So ask yourself how does a team that is top 5 in scoring every year, and top 10 in defense in 2010....miss the playoffs?

Answer: We come into games unprepared for a fight and have to make desperate 4th quarter comebacks, and when the game is on the line we make too many HORRIBLE play calls (like Norv's patented Sproles draw, or running a dive to set up a 54yd FG) and mental mistakes like penalties and fumbles. The bottom line is Norv is soft on his players, and his teams have always been sloppy and inconsistant.

This year we combined that with Greg Manusky's incompetance, and just like the Cottrell days we can't break .500 anymore. If we played in a better division we'd be drafting in the top 10 right now.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    I'm innocent I tells ya!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    And yet, you made every argument that last year's defense was top quality purely because of stats. :D

Last year's offense was top ranked also, but you solely blame Norv for the team's failures. I get it, you don't like Norv, but your logic is flawed. If Turner is terrible, than so was Rivera....... neither got their players to make enough game winning plays. One problem with that kind of reasoning though, it absolves the players of all responsibility for their own mistakes. In the end, it's the players that make plays.

If Nick Novak didn't have his late season inaccuracy problems, the Chargers win enough games to make the playoffs. If Rivers doesn't fumble the snap in KC, the Chargers make the playoffs. There's often a fine line between winning and losing.... and usually, it's the players that determine that, not the coaches.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings Received:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Chargers are average? Huh...who'd a thought
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Well said and spot on.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
    And if your grandma had a dick she'd be your grandpa.

Point is they put themselves in position to lose early and often because they're sloppy, and unprepared.
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Except the defense, because they were top ranked last year. :roflmao:
  8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    I'm not sure what the to and fro is all about above but I do know this. The Chargers were poor last year, average is probably a compliment. From coaching to execution serious improvement is required. I for one though am not holding my breath. With the current regime in situ I'm more thinking about 2013 to be honest.
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    I agree. However, the line between excellent and poor in the NFL can often come down to a few snaps. Take the talent issue that has been beaten to a greasy stain here... If a player produces, and executes, he is 'talented' to the fans. If the same player does not he is no longer talented. Until the next time he executes that is. It is less of an oil painting and more of a water color...
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Every team has bad snaps and bad plays, the good teams make up for it the rest of the time, the bad teams say "What if we hadn't had those bad snaps"
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    I'd rather have a blue collar team with heart and a desire to win than a roster full of all-star divas. The Bolt's aren't far off they are just in need of an ASAP heart transplant.
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Of course... That is your theory when talking Chargers, but you change your criteria when talking about other teams. How many times have you held the Patriots up as a paragon of NFL execution and over coming said bad snaps?

News flash, two teams are on the field, both playing hard to win, both make adjustments, both try and capitolize on those snaps. No one ever says 'what if those didnt happen', they say "They did happen and we need to get better and focus ont he next team". It is not a black and white situation no matter what madden 64'esque fantasy you hold on to.

Also your 'bad snap' theory does not address my comment that you and others talk about talent when it is execution you look at.
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am not a Patriots fan, so I don't hold them to any standard other than hoping they fail. But if you want to bring up a team that has won multiple SB's in the last decade, and been to a couple others, and try to compare them to a Chargers team who has been to 1 SB in their entire existence, then so be it.

And actually, the chargers, Norv, Rivers, AJ, and everyone else does say "If those hadn't' happened, we would have won more games", they say it all the time
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Ok... So in arrogance we cant look at any other team because the Chargers have been to 1 superbowl? Is that the rules you follow? I can tell you it isnt so lets not be hypocritical and slap it out there now.

Please provide links to Chargers, Norv, Rivers and AJ making those quotes you say they do. I dont thin they exist, I expect you will say "I aint gonna do yer work..."
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    This might qualify....... I don't see anything wrong with the statement though. ;)

Feb. 15, 2012 3:51 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Rivers wants fewest INTs in 2012
    QB Philip Rivers told season ticket holders that he has set a personnel to lead the league in the fewest INTs thrown in 2012. Rivers threw a career high 20 INTs in 2011. “If I can eliminate the turnovers we will win a lot more games,” Rivers said. “We would have been in the post season if I would of thrown a few less this past season.” Chargers RapidReports
  16. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    He is saying what I said they say. They have to remove the turnovers. I see nothing wrong with this at all as he is taking responsibility for his interceptions. I dont see this the same as making excuses about bad snaps.

But hey, I guess i am not one of those... "Hold the team accountable from behind my monitor" type fans... :roflmao:
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Just listen to the radio once in a while and you wouldn't need quotes because every time they are on the radio, they use those excuses when asked about last season. Dean and AJ both used them last week on Dave and Jeff as well as on the season ticket holders conference call.
  18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    No, you are a "Don't hold the team responsible EVER" fan
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    So tell me 'Mr. Hold a team accoutable' tough guy... What has all your complaining and nay saying acomplished? Have you made one positive change to the team?
    NO!

All your doing is whining and acting like someone, anyone other than you care. Kudos! Really... You do the e-version of grabbing your crotch, yelling at someone and running away at top speed. I am impressed! :tup:

You claim you have a 'realistic' view of the team. Since when did Webster change the definition of pesimistic to realistic?
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    This is such a tired argument.

The blame, should you need to assess responsibility, is a TEAM thing. Get it? TEAM. From the top down. Owners set a direction by hiring a manager (GM) who hires coaches based upon that set direction who hire players intended to deliver the output of that direction on the field in terms of success measured by wins.

No individual aspect stands alone. Perhaps that's just too large an aspect to grasp.
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    What is this place for if not to discuss this team, both good and bad? Obviously making excuses hasn't made any changes either, so why do you continue? Guess what, that is what this board is for. It is a place where people with all views of the team can discuss them. Anyone who expects changes to be made simply by posting on a board, is delusional.

How do you figure I am running away? Please explain! As I have said many times, this is no different than people taking about the positives or negatives with politics. Their discussions aren't going to change anything, doesn't mean they should just shut up. But according to you, if someone doesn't like a politician, they should just shut up since their opinion isn't going to change anything anyways
  22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I agree and I have never said anyone doesn't deserve part of the blame. I just recognize that Norv and AJ deserve part of it while many others (like Conc) just want to blame the players and give Norv and AJ a pass for their screwups.

If people didn't recognize the players as part of the problem, they wouldn't be identifying positions that need improvement
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Is that what you are doing? Discussing the team? I thought you were 'holding them accountable'? What? When its put in the actuall terms it is less paletable to you? So now you dont expect changes, but your 'holding the team accountable' so perhaps you could define what exactly youre doing when you are 'holding the team accountable'?

Your statement about politics is way off target, a poor attempt at redirection. You have a voice, you can hold them accountable, you can cast your vote. If enough people hold them accountable they are removed. That is having something your opinion can affect. Nice try at putting words in my mouth, to bad your efforts are so feeble...

Here is something to consider, and ask yourself. Are you trying to discuss the Chargers. Because as much as you like to point the finger at me, you are constantly locked in arguments with people who differ in opinion from you on the state of the Chargers. If you were 'discussing' there would be much less arguing, wouldnt there be? (before you try and put more words in my mouth, no I am not feigning innocence.)

I guess bottom line. You feel I dont discuss the 'goods and the bads' of the team, you seem to feel I only say that they are magical unicorns who fart cheery smelling rainbows and bring world peace (perhaps paraphrasing). While you do not discuss the good and bad, only the bad. just today you put the team down because they have only ever been to 1 super bowl. Your choice, but if you are talking GOOD & BAD, then there should be some good in there somewhere shouldnt there be?
  24. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Man, you are so wrong you could be more wrong if you try. But please, keep letting your ignorance shine through in every post. It gives me quite a laugh.

Try taking a reading comprehension class, it might prove enlightening to you when you discuss how I feel about AJ, players and yes even Norval...
  25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,530 / 10 / -0
    Folks whine when players aren't "accountable" for their mistakes. Then the same folks whine when they do take accountability that they're making excuses.... :roflmao:

TRUE FACT: If Philip Rivers had made less turnovers, specifically the fumbled snap in KC, we would have been in the playoffs.

Are his turnovers the only reason? Of course not. Are the players solely to blame? Of course not. Are the coaches solely to blame? Of course not. Have we had this conversation before? Yes, yes we have.
  26. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41

BLEW's Granny is a Tranny ???

Cool............... [​IMG] Ta Ta's and a tallywacker must feel cool to look at in the mirror I bet !!!!

Hey, that Busta Rhymes too !!!!!! :tup:
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    No, I don't expect change as long as Norv and AJ are running the show. It doesn't mean I don't hope they happen or that I am going to remain silint and become an excuse maker like you, when change doesn't happen
    • Like Like x 1
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Or maybe you need a writing class so your posts don't come across as kissing their butts, constantly making excuses, and attacking those who you disagree with
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    You ARE an excuse maker. You make excuses for your actions and invent fiction to explain why you act like you do towards the team you supposedly love.

I tell ya, livin in Denver and posting like you do... I think you have a horses head stuck to your rear window, not a lighting bolt.
  30. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Go quote me where I am kissing AJ' butt. You wont find one you liar.

Go find one if you can get past YOUR making excuses, and attacking those who you disagree with.