1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Could You Trust Ronnie Brown and Danny Woodhead if Ryan Mathews Has to Sit?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    http://boltbeat.com/2014/01/07/trust-ronnie-brown-danny-woodhead-ryan-mathews-sit/

The San Diego Chargers running game will be huge again this weekend against theDenver Broncos. Ryan Mathews status is up in the air. Mike McCoy and the Chargers staff have been hush-hush about the whole situation since Ryan had been sitting on the sideline in the second half in Cincinnati.

Ryan was limping around on the field during that game. I would assume that his ankle had been bothering him a bit in the second half. Hopefully he will be ready to play on Sunday against the Broncos. Ryan has had some of his best games against the Broncos and he will be needed to pound the rock on Sunday.

If Ryan is limited or even worse, than the Chargers would have to rely on Ronnie Brown and Danny Woodhead as a duel threat. They would be a much better threat catching the ball out of the backfield, but they don”t have that ability to pound that rock up the middle and gain some tough yards. The Chargers would have to rely on Philip Rivers more to make big plays in the red zone. One of the biggest reasons on why the Chargers have been better in the red zone was their commitment to Ryan Mathews in that area. They would have to find a new threat down there.

Hopefully all is well with Ryan, but if he has to sit out, then Ronnie and Danny will have to step up big. Could you trust in Ronnie Brown and Danny Woodhead to carry the load if Ryan has to sit out?
  2. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    An interesting question. I do not like nor trust Brown coming out of the backfield, I think he is more a lighter full back at this point in his career. I take nothing away from his TD run, but he just doesn't seem to be able to get consistent chunks of yardage.

Someone tell me the positives to Brown sans Mathews... Please...
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    Do you remember when Tomlinson had to sit??????
  4. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    Ugh.
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    That should have seen better results than it did considering he had Michael Turner behind him.

Anyway, to answer the question, do we have a choice?
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Nope, if it's just those two I don't think the running game will be as good. Mathews pounds on the D, which helps the other two. Without him, the donko D will be more aggressive against the run.
  7. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    He has really come on this season hasn't he? I was thinking at the end of last season that he was a bust of phenomenal potential, unrealized.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +164 / 4 / -1
    I'd trust them - Woodhead has been solid all season, as has Brown but when he broke off on that 58 yard run & took it to the house, he removed all doubt for me.

With that said, Ryan Mathews is our most dynamic running back and if he cannot go at all, our run game will suffer because 0f it.
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    no doubt--never thought the guy would turn into a quasi-power back
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    As I've said all season, this offense just has too damned many ways to succeed:
    Rivers, Gates, Mathews, Woodhead, Keenan, Ladarius, Royal & Brown…that's a lot of dangerous weapons!

I've been a fan of Mathews' effort and talent from the outset…and did not jump
    off that bandwagon when many did…so nobody wants him out there kicking ***
    on national television more than I do.

But, again, this O just has too many guys to stop: As great as Mathews has been of late,
    the Chargers were down 10-7 when he left the game, and outscored the Bengals 20-0 from then on.
    Obviously, Dalton deserves some love from us here, :inlove: but the point is that this O has been great
    all year without Alexander & Floyd…there's enough talent there to weather the loss of
    any one component (except of course, the QB)
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    Ryan has the speed to exploit the edges and keep the fat boys on the D-line moving a sucking air. Hit them early with a steady diet of running then kill them with the quick cutback and power and just hope Rivers can do some damage through the air.
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    The Chargers might need to turn to Brown as the 'feature back', keep Woodhead in his role and add Mathews in where and when they can. Mathews was very successful in the past when he had fresh legs and was given the job of grinding the defense to powder at the end of the game. I don't like it but there might not be any alternative. The truth is that the Chargers MUST(!!!) find some kind of viable power running back for next year as a compliment to Mathews and Woodhead. Spend a fifth rounder on James Wilder Jr or George Atkinson but find someone to give you a thunder component to the backfield
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    If RM can't play or is likely to leave early I'd activate Kerwynn Williams. Because regardless of that great run by Brown at the end, he's not that good, he can't move a pile to save his life and he goes down too easy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings Received:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    Do you need consistent snaps to get your rhythm going in the run game? If not maybe brown and woodhead are our starters and mathews comes in when we need to get a drive going if were down or theres a crucial third and 1.?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    No both are flawed to me. They are great complimentary pieces but not for a whole game.
  16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    What do you mean by trust?

If you mean effectively replace Ryan then No. Neither have the power/speed/burst that Ryan has.

Both Woodhead (esp) and Brown have their roles but neither can be the feature 1st and 2nd down back Ryan is right now.
  17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    If RM is out, and I doubt he is, then it's next man up in Boltville, and that's Ronnie Brown, and that ain't half bad. Different skill set than RM, but yeah, I'd trust him.