1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Courtney Upshaw????

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I have a feeling this is going to be the 18th pick ( not saying this is who I want) but can someone please explain to me why he's received so much negativity? Just thinking of a 3-4 OLB who lead his team in sacks and tackles seems pretty good to me not some clearly think thats not the case with this guy.

Like I said this isn't a "We need this guy, prove me wrong" post. Im just a bit confused why his stock dropped and why he is labeled a "potential bust" but still graded as a 1st rounder
    If someone can help explain why this guy is getting negativity I'd appreciate it:)
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    His selling point is that his floor is high, meaning he's been competing at a high level in a pro-style defense against as close to consistently pro-level competition as you're going to find in college football (the SEC), so the transition from collegian to 1st-year player should be easier than most.

The hindrance in his stock is that he doesn't look to have a ton more ceiling to him. He's one of those guys who had an incredible amount of success at the college level because he developed quicker than the norm and thus was the proverbial grown man playing against boys. But when you put that grown man up against other grown men he becomes far less special. Where this is likely to make the most impact is in his ability to rush the passer at the pro level; he's not some freakish athlete when held up against pro-level players - he's a high motor, high work-rate technician with a good (not great) build and very good instincts.

The other reason for pause is what I've come to call the Jon McCargo Factor (and no, not just because both played for Bama). Whenever there are that many highly-touted prospects on a college defense you have to think that there are some guys who are perhaps a bit more a product of the system and the players around them than they are purely great prospects. This was the case with Jon McCargo, a DT who the Bills drafted whom busted incredibly hard. We tend to see this a fair amount with LB's on elite defenses because those elite defenses tend to be playing behind elite defensive lines and with at least above average secondaries - look at how many elite defenses LSU has had in the Les Miles era and yet guys like Ali Highsmith, Darry Beckwith, Eric Alexander, and Perry Riley aren't exactly lighting it up in the NFL. The jury's still out on Kelvin Sheppard in Buffalo, but the most success an LSU LB has had in the NFL in the past decade has been Bradie James.

With Upshaw it's very much a case of what you see is what you get, and that's both good and bad. The bad though is that he's likely not going to improve a whole heck of a lot upon what he's already got, so he's not likely to be better than a 5-6 sack a year player (certainly not a 10+ sack/yr guy) and that's if he maximizes his potential. For us, he's a younger version of Jarrett Johnson - but therein lies the issue... we already have the actual Jarrett Johnson and we realize he's a guy who's limited in what he'll likely be able to contribute on passing downs.

Upshaw's a solid pick, a safe pick, but as much as I don't want to bet against him, I just don't see a player with the kind of elite upside that I'd merit spending a Top 20 pick on.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I think he'll find more NFL success a 4-3 DE than OLB. Not that he can't play that position - obviously he has. I just think that at the next level he fits the 4-3 better.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I'd keep him at 3-4 OLB just expect more of a Jarrett Johnson than a Terrell Suggs....is that worth a 1st round pick, I dunno.

Where he went tonight in the BT draft was a perfect fit though, opposite Clay Matthews would be great compliment.