1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

D.J. Fluker signed...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

Wow, who declared him a failure?
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282 / 12 / -5
    You are.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

Remove head from ***, and try again.;)

To reiterate for the people who failed their 3rd grade vocabulary test, I did not declare Fluker a failure, I predicted that he will struggle in preseason and eventually be a guard.
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    You declared that he would fail at right tackle without even giving him a chance.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

Where? When? Please quote me on it............
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    ...thats right, nothing. Because I would never be so foolish as to say something could never happen. I also mentioned that if we run the right scheme he could be successful at RT (like an Anthony Davis or Andre Smith), and I also mentioned if he lost some weight it could help his kick slide...which of course would make him a legitimate RT.

Y'all need to work on your reading comprehension skills around here. If this were a life saving operation and I said "hand me the forceps" people would start calling out a times of death and Leo would get the toe tag ready. So much exaggeration.
  7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2

Sure sounds like you are at the least strongly predicting failure at RT, no?
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was doing, strongly predicting does not = declaring failure.

And you of course understand the difference between a prediction and an outright declaration, so thank you for proving my point E.:tup:

I also gave ways and means in which he could be successful at RT, but of course nobody mentions that part, its selective reading around here.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2
    Yeah, I've got no problem with the nuts and bolts of your argument. It just seems that you are a little (or a lot) pessimistic. And that's your prerogative... so have at it. Just don't be surprised that people react negatively to a negative viewpoint.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    If you are saying he can't play RT because of how he looks in shorts and a helmet with the first few days in a brand new system, then you are calling him a failure.
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

I'm not surprised E, I just wish people would read the complete post rather than latching onto one sentence they disagree with and taking off onto a completely different tangent.
  12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,282 / 12 / -5
    Wow...so you play silly word games to deny. You'd do well in Congress. You wouldn't get my vote, but you'd fit right in there.
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,282 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

No, I said I doubted he could play RT because of how he looked in CRIMSON, right here. http://bolttalk.com/threads/d-j-fluker-signed.27980/#post-779482

I was outspoken against Fluker MONTHS before the draft, that hasn't changed just because our new GM thought he was worth taking in the 1st round, its going to take him getting on the field and proving it before I believe in this guy.
  15. ETicket

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2
    On that we are in total agreement.

FYI - I'm not saying that is necessarily the case in this instance, just that I too have been a victim of the "failure to read comprehensively before responding" tendency of some.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Who's defending Acee?

I'm defending myself when somebody calls me a "slow thinker" by association.
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm just offering the distinct possibility that despite all your "homework" even you might be wrong.
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    This sounds like a clear-cut declaration to me.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

...and so might they, big F'n deal. :whistling: I'm not afraid to be wrong, in fact in this case I really really really hope I am. I hope in 6 months we're in the playoffs and you're rubbing this thread in my face as Fluker holds his own at RT.
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Should I have have said if/when? Is this like when people say "allegedly" in front of a crime someone is accused of?:D jk

This is one of those cases where the fact that we're not talking face to face gets it taken out of context. I only mean that people will start jumping on the RG bandwagon as soon as he starts to struggle, which will probably be immediately.
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Fair enough, then.

I'm just on the bandwagon that wants him to succeed. I don't care if it's RT or RG.

I mean, I prefer RT since that's what we drafted him to do, but I won't get overly upset if we have to settle for an All Pro guard instead.
  22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    You make declarative statement about his "almost inevitable" failure at RT, and then say you are not declaring he will fail. You're playing semantics.

You did not provide ways he could be successful at RT, but rather ways the team could be successful despite his deficiencies at RT.

Tom Telesco said they drafted the kid to play tackle. They've moved their most experienced RT to guard. But you are talking about Fluker's failure at RT as if it's a foregone conclusion.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I do hereby declare that Fluker will be named to the Pro Bowl at RT for the San Diego Chargers in his rookie season.
    There, I said it.
    The difference here is:
    1) It's an extremely optimistic declaration and as fans we like to read positive things
    about any of the players on our team.
    2) It's a homer-ish statement that few if not none, will take serious.

p.s. This thread should have been declared dead (an toe-tagged);) after the first page.
    p.p.s. Last time I checked it was still June, so I can understand the responses. Nothing
    else to talk about. Hope I didn't revive anything...
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    I don't take issue with negative predictions. I don't expect fans to be high on every player just because they're Chargers, especially when the discussion is relatively "internal" so to speak (being on a Chargers board).

I only took umbrage with the combination of the "slow minded" insult and the seemingly definitive "it WILL happen" declaration (even if it wasn't intended as such)

And the latter I didn't really take umbrage with in a sense that I think it's unwarranted to post such a thing. It was just something I felt the need to respond to because I felt there isn't sufficient grounds to declare him a failure at RT at this juncture.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    You get it sir.

If I ranted on and on about how much I love Keenan Allen (which I do) nobody would have a problem despite the fact that he (like Fluker) has never played in an NFL game. But an overwhelming number of homers
    don't want to allow talk that a player may just not work out as planned.

The way I see it, my low opinion of Fluker didn't change the day we drafted him, he's one of those guys who will have to prove me wrong before I start tooting his horn. Same goes with Allen, but in reverse.
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Well right off the bat the first sentence is lie, you don't like to hear anything negative about Charger players, you immediately put the blinders on.

Secondly, I did not declare DJ Fluker a failure, I only predicted he would move to right guard eventually. And if you have never even considered the possibility that Fluker may be a better fit at right guard then you are way behind the eight ball, and I can only assume you've never actually watched him play.
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Don't tell me what I do or do not think. I read nothing past your first sentence and refuse to have a civilized discourse with you until you quit pretending to be a mind reader.

If you choose to not pretend to know what I think I'll gladly read the rest of your post and others hereon in the discussion.
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Ok, I lied in the last post, I'll go ahead and reply to the "secondly". I'm over the initial annoyance that comes from somebody calling me a liar when I declare my personal thoughts as if you're some kind of expert on what I think. Sure, I typically lean towards an optimistic viewpoint but that doesn't mean I outright refuse to accept any negative comments just because I didn't care for your approach when expressing it in here by calling those that disagree with you "slow thinkers".

Regarding your "secondly" I thought we were past that when I made my "fair enough" post. The post you were responding to here so callously was merely expressing my thought process when I perceived your post as a declaration of failure. I mean, did you miss the parenthesis that says plain as day "even if it wasn't intended as such"?

Furthermore, I never said I haven't considered the possibility of Fluker having to shift to guard. In fact, I've emphatically said quite the opposite in multiple posts.

But yeah, I never considered the possibility, right?

I just said it's not a set-in-stone issue that I perceived you as saying it was.
  29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    Mat seriously... No one is saying you can't talk about those concerns, no one is saying you can't make non-positive predictions. You want to talk about issues with the team, go right ahead, but disagreeing with you hasn't been banned either ;)

Implying other posters are "simple minded" or outright calling them "liar(s)" is frowned upon but generally not a bannable offense.

FWIW, I don't think you're wrong about Fluker. I hope you are (just like you hope you are). I also think it's premature to throw in the towel on the kid before he and our coaches have had the chance to show what kind of growth (or loss, in the weight department) he's capable of. For my own sanity, I prefer to err on the side of optimism. I'm not sure how that limits your right to post your opinions or to have a discussion.
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Leo I have said no less than 3 times in this thread that I believe Fluker can be successful at RT under the right circumstances, and yet you continue to ignore that, act like a drama queen, and call me out as if I've declared the guy a bust already. So I don't need to pretend to read your mind, I know your a liar when you claim not to have a problem with negative opinions. Every time I have a less than stellar opinion of a player or coach we start butting heads.

Maybe it's time to reside yourself to the fact that some people like to make predictions on the future based on nothing more than watching a little game tape (or a lot in this case). My mind is open as it relates to all rookies, but it's unfair to say I should ignore 4 years of game tape and stifle my opinions because he's wearing Charger blue now.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1