1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Danario Alexander contract

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    why Ftag when he's an RFA?

2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Tender him 1st and 3rd as an RFA, make him play most of next year, if he continues this output and can stay healthy then give him 4 years 28 million and call it a day.

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I just learned this myself, but there is no longer a 1st and 3rd tender.

4. MadMike

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Wow ok, tender him about as high as we can then. RFA tenders are cheap compared to paying contract money. Loving what DX is doing on the field, just need to see if he can stay healthy for a while longer before laying out the cash to him.

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 4 / -0
    Isn't what AJ did with VJ? And many seem to think it was a mistake because certainly VJ would have taken a smaller contract earlier.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    AJ did this with VJ when the lack of CBA in place created a cap-free year and thus implemented cap-free year rules (i.e. 6 years required for UFA eligibility rather than the normal 4). In the actual year VJ was set to be an RFA, he had also earned his 1st DUI only two months prior - not exactly the kind of thing you want to reward a large sum of guaranteed money toward and his agent wasn't settling for lesser guarantees (got to remember, this is the same guy who was handling Revis' deal simultaneously). The following year, when VJ would have been franchise tagged anyway, was the year that the club had the "benefit" of cap-less year rules and in which VJ subsequently was coming off his 2nd DUI in as many years. Queue holdout and VJ still to that point not really having shown he could stay out of trouble. Queue franchise tag... and by this point the guy was at the point where he was taking whatever the highest offer was.

We're in a similar situation with DX, unless DX is amenable to an injury clause similar to what had been plugged into McNiell's so that he at least gets one decent-sized payday (in MM's deal the injury clause tied to the guaranteed monies, but Marcus still recouped a good sized signing bonus at time of contract execution). The situations are a little different because VJ and his agent knew that on the open market there would be some talent-strapped team out of the 32 total that would be willing to overlook his criminal past and still pay him big guaranteed bucks. With Alexander if he suffers another knee injury he's very likely done for his career, and thus far all he's gotten money-wise is a rookie UDFA contract that wasn't seen all the way through and likely the league minimum from us - not exactly a nest egg to bank your future on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MadMike

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Yep, thats why I think a high tender RFA for this year, if he comes back healthy and productive next year then we can sign him long term for 4 years 28 million or so, 12 million guaranteed. Thats probably alot more guaranteed money then he ever expected after being dropped by the Rams this year and most teams wont consider going too much more into him due to his 5 surgeries. As much as I love how this guy has played for us, as a business man I couldnt see paying huge money right away to someone with the risk factors he has. Again LBC has it right, get him to sign off on injury clause then you can sign him for a solid contract now.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Realistically, he signs the injury-out clause, I see no problem giving him a deal comparable to what we just gave Meachem if not slightly better (4 years, $28-30 million; $8 million signing bonus, guarantee right around 50% of it - maybe even slightly more if it means getting the clause). Gives DX at least an $8 million nest egg (pre-tax) plus all of 2013's game checks (even if he's on IR he's getting paid) and protects the team's interests as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't think that this will happen until the 2014 offseason, which would likely result in all of those numbers being slightly inflated. You might see contract work done during the 2013 season, but I don't see him starting the season under anything other than a 1 year RFA tender.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    New reports out saying how team defenses aren't taking DX serious. They have been putting their 3rd or 4th corner on him for single coverage. DX has been a pleasant surprise this season and agree if he can continue this and stay healthy, I would love to see him resigned. We have also seen this magic trick before, fool me twice........................

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Neither do I, but that's not to say that said RFA tender doesn't see a midseason extension tacked onto it - though that might be rare just in that it's a bit more difficult to tack on signing bonuses to this particular type of extension (I believe) as player's are prohibited from signing two consecutive contracts with the same team within the same 12 month period (i.e. if DX signs the RFA tender he can't execute another separate contract until the existing one has run out, he can extend it, but without the "signing" can a signing bonus actually be issued).

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 19 / -4
    If I'm franchising anyone out of this group of FAs it's Phillips. Alexander is an RFA, tag him high (1 & 3 far as I'm concerned) and if he can repeat, sign him to a nice fat contract. But 2/3ds of a year doesn't earn one a big fat contract especially for someone with HIS injury history

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Engh... I realize that there's still talent to contribute from SP95, but I can't help but feel like he's part of the problem with the culture on this team (i.e. the slacking in practice, spending more time on Twitter and up in LA at Laker games and concerts than in the film room, and just generally apologist - he's the epitome of the "we need to improve" guys versus "we are going to improve" guys). Rather than tag him, I'd sooner take that cap space (since it involves paying him Top 5 average 2013 salary among the position) and making a run at Connor Barwin. Pass-rusher is typically one of the few positions that you can really see some immediate results from a free agent signing (not to mention that familiarity with a Phillips-Burroughs-esque 3-4 is already had by the gentleman). Barwin, you know, that guy that if AJ wanted a 3-4 pass-rusher in the '09 draft he could have had instead of Larry English (and who had English trumped in athleticism, measurables, and damn near in collegiate product... in a tougher conference).

The tag's going to be a tough one to figure out if it ought even be used this year, since neither Jammer or Cason is worth even one year's worth of the average of Revis/Carr/Peterson? (I expect Asomugha to likely be released)/Woodson/Bailey's annual pay. Same can be said for Green and Vasquez with regard to Nicks/Grubbs/Evans/Mankins/Snee.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 19 / -4
    While I can agree with you on Phillips and the culture, you'd replace him with a guy who has 17 sacks in 4 yrs, 11.5 of them last year and just 2 sacks this year? Not sure even if Barwin is worth it

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Barwin has been injured much of this year. This is why you can't go purely off stats... you have to look at context not just hard numbers. Barwin blew up last year when put in the 3-4 (and carried the Texans in terms of pass-rush after Mario Williams went down injured). This season Wade's been using a much heavier rotation between him and Merciless in an effort to get Merciless on the field more and also to safeguard re-aggravating the elbow injury Barwin suffered in Week 2. He missed the 2010 season with a broken ankle. I'm actually more concerned that the Texans are going to use the franchise tag on him now, considering they've managed to get both Schaub and Duane Brown extended during this season and don't have many other guys set to hit free agency worth the tag.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Why the hell would we franchise tag a guy who will be a RFA and can be tendered to a contract for about 1/4 the price of a franchise tag. That is a ridiculous idea

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don't think we need to tender him anything more than a 2nd round pick.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Tough call. I think a 1st round tender is a lock that he's here. I think a 2nd round tender is a gamble that someone else might pick him up.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Then so be it. We would have the opportunity to match the contract if it is reasonable, or pick up a 2nd round pick for a guy we got off the street

20. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Did Alexander even play against the Panthers?

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Yeah, he had another dropped pass that hit him in the chest

22. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 4 / -0
    He does seem to have a problem with looking up field before he has the ball securely in his mitts.