1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Danario Alexander Suffers Torn Right ACL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HEXEDBOLT, Aug 6, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'll be very surprised if they look at Lloyd. For one, he is still holding out for more than he's worth. For another, the guy is a known-quantity as a locker room cancer and bi-polar to boot; there's no chance in hell a virgin HC who is all about building a new, more cohesive culture is going to green-light bringing in a guy like that. Same reason why Randy Moss won't be putting off retirement to come play in San Diego.

We may sign another camp body to be just that... a camp body, depth so that Sorenson has targets to throw to. But if the final WR spot isn't filled by one of the "next guy's up" on the current depth chart (Willie, Tasker, DePalma, Goodman), it'll be someone who doesn't make final cuts for the team he's current under contract to presently.
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Correct-a-mundo
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +436 / 2 / -1
    My question is this:

Why all the ACL tears over the last few years? I mean I know they happened in the past but not at the alarming rate we've seen over the past few years. A few possibilities:

1 - The athletes today are so much stronger, faster, and quicker than in decades past that they are cutting harder and putting more strain on the knee? The opposition is so much bigger they are hitting so much harder than before? This is my first thought.

2 - The supplements and diets these guys go on build solid heavy muscle but do not help strengthen the tendons and ligaments that tie them all together?

3 - Not enough conditioning and strengthening done to the knees and ankles?

4 - Scientists haven't perfected the metal leg and joint transplant for athletes?

5 - The smog and poor air quality leads to deterioration? Wait this is SD, not the air.

6 - The over paid pansy *** athletes spend so much time trying to bang chicks and spend money on their posse's that they develop a serious case of Mangina?

All that being said, I had high hopes for DX/M80 lineups. Here's to hoping VB is ready to step up and fill the void. He was close last year, could be he's ready to make the final step to the starting role.
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I honestly believe we're fine with the WR's we have on the roster, From what I hear Mike Willie is exciting to watch in camp, I really like DX but with or without him isn't going to make or break our season.

I'm more bummed for the kid just not being able to stay healthy than anything else
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    I thought this was a lame joke when I heard/saw it first. It's like it's written in stone for DA. So terribly sad, all the talent in the world ripped apart (literally) by his freakin knees.

I immediately thought Laurent Robinson who is doing a Peter King and seemingly visiting every team out there.
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I'm bummed for the kid more than I am the team.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21

Probably #2.

It puts into perspective why LT used to run out of bounds a lot, and wear shorter spikes...both of which probably cost him a lot of yards, but also may have spared him a major injury.
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Even before this injury, whoever said that hadn't noticed that we have suffered more on the injury front than the Donks. Now, it's not even close.
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    True. The reason for the ACLs is the cleats. The injuries to the knee most commonly occur when the injured player has one foot in the turf and takes a hit. No real way to protect from that other than to have no contact practices, which I think are just as detrimental once the hitting does start.

That said, TT is going to have to start beefing up the receiving corps in the next few drafts. While we have serviceable players, none are standouts, due to talent or durability.
  10. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    All of the above? But seriously I would agree #2 probably has the biggest impact.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's a combination of a lot of things. We actually had a discussion over on my site about this because we had access to a member who worked in sports medicine and athletic training.

It's a product of athletes just getting bigger, stronger, taller (the long limbs bit is really prevalent because knees joints are like levers, and long lever apply more torque on the ligament) and Mother Nature didn't exactly account for sports like professional football. Add in that (and this is particularly prevalent among skill position players) a good chunk of players just have poor mechanical movement patterns that eventually catch up with them, and which leave them more prone to ligament tears (and often times these mechanics aren't something that are so easily reprogrammed - this actually tends to be the biggest cause of non-contact ACL injuries). And then there's the matter that no matter how much you "work out in the gym" during the offseason, the human body (particularly muscles and ligaments) are going to need to be reconditioned if there's a long layoff from doing particular repetitive movements or taking contact; this particular one isn't helped in the slightest by the players and their union constantly seeking to decrease the amount of practices and practices with contact in the name of "decreasing injuries" (which the research looks like it may be trending towards indicating this is actually counter-intuitive).