1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

DE--FENSE!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Oct 10, 2012.

1. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    I want to chat about our D. To much O talk.

I like what I have seen this year with the new DC.

I rather read others opinions that state my own.

What are you peeps thoughts?
  2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +437 / 2 / -1
    Front 7 is young and athletic. They are playing well, Liuget, Butler, and Ingram look like future pro-bowlers (Butler maybe even this year). Safety positions are doing well, Weddle is a beast and Bigby is better than any SS we have had in years (Not saying much I know). Cornerbacks including Nickel are playing sub par. Cason looks like something that came out of my toaster 3 years after I put it in. Jammer looks old and slow. Dude can still play corner with his head but the body is struggling to keep up. Gilchrist is so hit or miss I just don't know what we would get from him if we promoted him. Lynch has been decent at dime. Really think Shareece Wright is ready to take over for Cason right now (Well as soon as his ankle is ready) and I wouldnt mind seeing if Chris Carr is ready to rotate in with Jammer. May keep his stamina up so he doesnt die in the 4th quarter. Think the CB's are just to complacent where they are at. Lets see Pagano shake it up and demote some of these guys and see if the next guy steps up. If not then Qj and Cason will realize their spots are not set in stone.
  3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Yeah, I like what I have seen this year with the new DC too.
    Thanks for the chat.
    :bolt:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Our CBs are bullshit just as I feared. Anyone who bought Jammers divorce as an excuse should feel like a fool. And Marcus Gilchrist hasn't improved AT ALL, in fact I think he's worse now than he was as a rookie. And Cason :sick:

I hope Wright starts immediately.
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Cason is a boat anchor and will DOOM us if he isn't replaced soon.

Otherwise, I really like our defense.
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Where is Carr?
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Probably has his nose in the books actually learning how to play defense...
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Think Cason will takes notes?
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Parked in the garage? :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    He's still trying to cover his play book!

Sent from my iPhone 4
  11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Blame Cason all you want, I notice someone is always getting blamed.
    It's always AJ's or Norv's fault, but as far as players go, before Cason it was
    Rivers, Mathews, always Clary, random linebackers, Castillo, Jammer for a few
    years, Cromartie, Jackson..etc.

Cason is the best we've got at that position. You notice that when we get pressure on a
    quarterback, our DB's look pretty good?

Cason will make you all his biatch before it's all over. (you're all here on record)
    Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled whining...:rolleyes:
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The scheme doesn't seem to be favoring our DB's much. We have press-man corners (Cason and especially Jammer are guys who don't possess the athleticism to go stride for stride with perimeter receivers unless they can get a successful stick at the LOS to afford them the time to adequately flip their hips and gain a step or two advantage), and we've asking them to play off-man and a lot of zone.

Butler won't make the Pro Bowl this year (typically for defensive players, especially LB's, you get in a year after you actually deserve it because it takes longer to get recognized over the "widely accepted" names), but he'll be deserving of it. The beauty is that he's shown to be so versatile that he can play the JACK or TED positions in the 3-4 ILB scheme, so if/when Mouton fails to pan out we're able to bring in the best available player that we can draft to pair with him and fit him in wherever said player best fits (and Butler can play whatever he doesn't).

Liuget is what I was calling him to be last year, a guy who really just needed a season to get acclimated to the 5-Tech position, part of which involved a year in a pro-caliber weight training regimen. Watch out for Reyes next year, because he has a lot of the same characteristics and just needs the added lower-body bulk. If we can manage to add a legitimate 2-3 down 1-gap contributor at NT (Franklin is much more of a pure 2-gap NT, Baby Zilla I fear may have maxed out his ceiling and doesn't present much in the way of 1-gapping ability), our front seven has the potential to be freakishly scary in the near future. Ingram's going a lot, I think, particularly as he continues to develop. Which is why I think we could do with an Aldon Smith type guy (literally a longer, athlete type pure pass-rusher at some point in the next draft); a guy you don't necessarily expect to contribute a ton except on passing downs as a rookie but when he develops he'll be the kind of guy that if you have to account for one (him) over the other (Ingram) you're literally screwed, because of Ingram's ability to move around and ???'s necessity to be double-teamed or else he's making your QB his prison-biyatch.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    DL is really coming together, LB'ers look good & will look better with MOAR INGRAM!! ;)

Weddle is being Weddle, a good thing. Bigby is passable - when will one of our drafted guys get to show us something besides their ST play? We need corners - badly.

Best of all - it's soooooooooooo comforting to know that we have such an astute analyst in matilack who alone in this entire forum could sniff out the BS in the Jammer divorce story. Excellent work, Sherlock! :rolleyes:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    lets just hope Carr doesn't use Casons notes:p
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    No matter how this season ends up I just hope Pagano stays with the organization. I don't know how much "NICKLE" they played against the Saints but when 2 DB are sent in the blitz package you better get to the QB. the front 7 are growing and improving every week and will be a force to be reckoned with as this season progresses.

It would be great to have coaches film on the defense. I keep hearing all this soft zone BS and It's really hard to see it play out when DB breaks and rolls can be viewed. I have seen both Cason and Jammer meet at the receiver for a tackle outside of the hash marks.

I'll give it a few more weeks and see if they become more cohesive as the system sinks in. From what I've seen this is the best defensive alignment in Bolt town in many years and it's exciting to watch it grow. To me and me only, the blitz is the long bomb on defense, I love it when it works and accept it when it doesn't but I'd never stop calling it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    There's a package that you can subscribe to that gives you the "coaches' cut" from the games. I don't know the name offhand - I know nickelbolt would know.
  17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I think that's the NFL rewind and it's only selected plays from what I understand.
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I dunno. I thought it was an entire game of your choosing but haven't checked it out as I don't have the internet connection to support it.
  19. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    I totally agree with that statement. I hope for a speedy recovery for his brother not only for his reasons but I am curious to see how he is a HC. Kinda like the Ryan, Harbaugh bros to see if these two guys will be quality HC?
  20. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    I really liked what i saw from Antwan Barnes last year and i dont think hes getting on the field enough.. i know its hard with phillips and melvin out there but i thought we'd see more of a 3 headed monster of phillips melvin n barnes all rushing on 3rd downs... with melvin's versatility i thought we could see a lot of him rushing from the interior or on a stunt inside while we could just let barnes do what he does best and get a good jump on the snap and use the speed rush to get the qb to step up into the d line pressure.. having too many pass rushers is a good problem to have i guess but barnes was a top 10 sacker last season and i think he should have a larger role in our defense
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    They can line Ingram up at any LB'er position or with his hand in the dirt. Just get him on the field. Phillips, Barnes, & Ingram coming at ya is too much for just about any OL or QB.

This is what they need to show Manning Monday night.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    Once these kids get the scheme down pat with the experience gained under fire and put 4 Qtrs. together consistently, they will become a force to be reckoned with. I like what I see from Pagano's game and I'm sure it's still a work in progress. A Phillips, Barnes and Ingram blitz package may be in the works or may be displayed especially for the Donks, either way, I like what I've been seeing and makes Wade's defense seem tame in comparison.

My hopes and dreams of Charger fandom has always been for a complete slug you in the mouth and kick you when your down defense. These boy's need to get mad and after the Saint's game I sure hope they got the message, keep pounding don't worry about the flags line back up and turn it on. QB's should get a headache just knowing they will be facing the new and improved Bolt's defense, Oh please let it come to pass!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    I think we are on our way to being the kinda defense your talking about.. with guys like liuget, butler, and melvin our core group of young guys are some badass mofuckas.. i LOVE it
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    Yeah man, that's what I crave the most. Everyone else can have the high flying, electrifying offense, just give me some of that old fashion arse kicking defense. I'll be satisfied!!