1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dean won't commit to staying in SD next year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Jan. 03, 2012 4:00 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Spanos isn't committing to San Diego
    Dean Spanos, owner and team president, would not firmly commit that the Chargers will be in San Diego next season. “All I am telling you is we want to be in San Diego,” Spanos said. “I remain consistent with that.” A recent California Supreme Court decision took away redevelopment funds. “That really puts a wrinkle in (a new stadium)," Spanos said. "I don’t know where we are at.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16700499
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Part of me wonders if he did not get rid of Norv & AJ because the team is going to buy out their stadium lease, and could not swallow 12 million for the staff and how ever much it is to buy out.

I think they have done everything they can to stay in SD.
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 19 / -5
    Super! LA Chargers here we come. Commitment to mediocrity!!
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Only way any team gets into that LA Stadium, unless it's as a visiting team, is if Phil Anschutz (there was a recent article that hit the AP where Anschutz's righthand man Tim Lewieke confirmed it would specifically be Anschutz and not AEG as a body) has enough stake in the ownership to have the sway when it comes to decision making and how the team is run. So that "commitment to mediocrity" doesn't apply to any LA football franchise if Anschutz is at the helm (the man is one of those "win at any cost" type owners).

I'd also point out to popcorn off of Conc's line of thought, that (God forbid! lol) Spanos ever does consider selling the team, or a majority stake, in order to facilitate a move (some might argue that he would never do this but if his financial advisers tell him that an minority stake in a Los Angeles based franchise puts him further in the black than a majority stake in a San Diego franchise playing out of a dilapidated stadium that rarely sells out and doesn't have a waiting list for season tickets, it not something I can imagine he'd flatly turn down without consideration) to LA... long story short (even I'm out of breath here!), it's much easier to sell a team where the new owner either doesn't have to automatically accept the front office and coaching staff present, or where it's less expensive to part with said present management/coaching because they aren't on brand new contracts that would have to be bought out.
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    This was actually emailed to me by one of the guys who runs the San Diego Stadium Coalition, and he didn't sound nearly as confident in them staying as he normally does
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    I have a hard time believing that Spanos has been grooming his sons to take over the team in 2014, only to sellout to Anschutz in 2013....... makes no sense.
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    It also makes no sense for him to not commit to SD for another year since the LA project is years away, if at all since the Environmental report won't be back until June
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Dean's got little leverage, so all he's got is the threat of leaving IMHO........ he's also pissed at these fair weather fans. ;)
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Oh I'm shocked. :rolleyes:
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
  11. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings Received:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    The way things work is that, if you are going to move, you need to actually move ON February 1, not April 30.

That's because you (1) need to find someplace else to play in the meantime, and so you have to go before the public bodies that run the Coliseum Commission and the Rose Bowl authority; (2) you have to file a relocation petition with the NFL and begin to go through the NFL committee evaluation process; (3) you have to sign a stadium deal and take that deal to the market to see if you can get it financed; (4) and the list goes on...

NONE of these things has happened as of this date. If it doesn't happen by Feb 1, then we can all breathe easier.
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,375 / 36 / -16

Most importantly, that's the only weekend your brother-in-law can loan you the van...
  13. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if teams that do move just tend to have mediocre owners anyway. They destroy a fanbase in one place so they just move to another place where they think they can just start all over again. This is why moving should not be allowed now, it allows mediocre owners another chance. If an NFL 'franchise' is established in an area I really think the NFL has to stand by that otherwise it just undermines them and the sport.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Yeah, except that argument really isn't supported by fact. Much as I'd like to point to the Wicked Witch of the Mid-East Georgia Frontiere (may she rot in hell) and say, yup, you're right... for every one of those twits there are owners like Al Davis who crazy and deluded as he got in his old age was a stellar owner for his specific franchise for the better part of 3+ decades, during which included a move from Oakland to LA and back, or Lamar Hunt who is Chief scum but a very good owner who moved his original Dallas Texans to KC, Art Modell who's hated in Cleveland for how the move went down and about but you certainly can't call a mediocre owner when you take into consideration that the Browns won a championship under his owners and were in position to win a few others (multiple AFC Championship games, a prolific defense for a number of years).
  15. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    But it definitely helps bad owners to continue and that really shouldn't be encouraged. And really what good owner would want to alienate their existing fans instead of actually making things works in a place the NFL have actually said should have an NFL team.
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    One that stands to make a buttload more money because of the media market and larger population to draw from in a larger-market location?

One that stands to make a buttload more money from a state-of-the-art stadium in the new location that he can't get without having to fund it himself in his current location?

Just a thought. Money is a HUGE influence on this league and greed is the fuel it runs on.
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Fans won't commit to season tickets, Dean won't commit to staying...... two can play at that game. ;)
  18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -0
    If I remember correctly, for the past few years the Chargers have been able to break their lease with the City of San Diego by cutting the city a check between February and May of each year. Each year the amount that would be paid to the city is less than the year before. It seems to me that if Dean Spanos was that hot and bothered to move to LA , they would have sold a minority share of the team to AEG and wrote that check to the city a long time ago.

I believe they are trying to stay in San Diego, but we will just have to wait and see if they can actually find a way to get a new stadium built. I hope they can.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Except that there's a lot more planning required before such a tie would be broken. The tie between a downtown LA stadium (despite the transportation and parking logistics, it is also a much greater revenue generating option than the only other previously proposed option in City of Industry) and AEG/Anschutz didn't really exist until this past year. There are still hurdles that Anschutz is trying to clear before he could even get to the construction period, and there are ducks that would need to be put in a row (a process that's much more of a year-plus long process than a 6-month or less one - trust me on this I've watched it unfold firsthand when Georgia was moving the Rams from LA to St. Louis). The ideal is to get the team that is moving to LA as soon as possible, but there are a lot of logistics that need to be accounted for: Where are they going to practice? Where are they going to play in the interim till the new stadium is contructed? Where is the franchise's HQ going to be based, set up, when do they move?

Then there's the whole part about how Anschutz (and specifically Anschutz) wants a sway-holder's stake of whatever NFL team is playing in his stadium. He's not just going to buy a minority share and let Dean in on the off-chance that the Spanos' might sell him a larger stake in the future. He's adamant that he wants that majority share. Dean, or so we could assume, is likely very adamant that he doesn't want to have to give up a majority share (i.e. the controlling stake) in order to procure a new stadium. Hello, impasse! That means there needs to be time for negotiation, time for one side or the other or both to play hardball, time for proposals and counterproposals and serious contemplation and weighing of costs and benefits. And that's even before you involve the league and the owners - the owners do have to ratify by at minimum a simple majority any franchise relocation because it directly impacts the revenue that all of them share among themselves. Obviously, we can expect most ownership to support a move of a team to more profitable the Los Angeles market aside from any owners whose franchises currently have a stake in the Los Angeles market (basically Oakland and maybe San Francisco would vote against it at worst). Even then, there still needs to be time allowed for due-process.

But the point I was trying to make is that if something like this is even a remote possibility in Dean's mind, it's in his best interest to maintain what stability the franchise has for one and to keep his profit the most marketable/attractive (to perspective buyers, not necessarily to consumers) as possible. I refer you to the Chris Paul trade and why - despite the way it was handled by David Stern and despite the fact that the package from the Lakers which would have kept the Hornets more competitive than the package they did receive - the majority of the NBA owners weren't in favor of it. That league (the team owners as a combined entity) owns the Hornets and is trying to sell for the most money possible to a new owner. The product is less attractive if it comes with a ton of strings tied to its immediate future (which is exactly what guaranteed contracts are) because new ownership typically has a profound desire to put their stamp on the franchise ASAP.
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    They still need to wait until the Environmental impact report is completed (Scheduled for June) before the downtown stadium can move on, so he won't buy out anything until that report comes back. If the EIR comes back negative, the project is dead in the water, so there is no way Dean would commit to moving and selling shares knowing that is a possibility.

There is no way he is moving next year, which is a huge reason why I don't get why he won't just commit for next season
  21. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Here's another thought, entertainment is the fuel it runs on, without a good product people won't ultimately pay lots of money to watch it or associate with it by buying merchandise.
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Simple minds are entertained simply.

My point remains... larger market in Los Angeles (along with still probably maintaining a foothold on the San Diego market they're currently in - because who else is going to have any kind of a claim to it? Arizona?) = more money to be made. It's a great pool to draw from of people to buy the product(s), the merchandise, etc.

Also, I go back to my original underlying point... no team gets into that Farmer Field stadium unless Philip Anschutz is in ownership of its controlling stake. Philip Anschutz is the type of owner that does spend, and who presses aggressively, to put a highly-competitive product out there (he does it with the Galaxy, does it with the Kings, does it as a minority stake owner in the Lakers).

The fact remains that even if the Chargers were consistently selling out the Q, the chances of getting fully public-funded new stadium would be pretty low given who holds the political power in San Diego, and without that brand new stadium (and possibly even with it) they wouldn't make as much money as they would in LA.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
  25. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159 / 3 / -0
    I heard that interview on 1360, so it is settled, the bolts will never leave SD! :rolleyes:

On another note, I heard them ask about the Air Coryell jerseys for next season, and he passed it off to AG "buffoon #2" Spanos, who has already said it aint happening. Seems like they have tried to distance themselves from that era, but from a pure marketing standpoint, you'd think they'd pimp those Uni's...