1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dec. 11-Peavy to Cubs Deal is OFF

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Dec 11, 2008.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    12/11/08 1:25 PM EST
    Peavy-to-Cubs deal is off

Padres GM Towers will meet with club officials to decide next step

By Corey Brock / MLB.com

LAS VEGAS -- San Diego general manager Kevin Towers told reporters Thursday that a proposed deal to send pitcher Jake Peavy to the Chicago Cubs was dead.

"It doesn't look like anything is going to happen with the Cubs," Towers said.

Towers indicated that Cubs GM Jim Hendry pulled out of the deal.
    "He said he's got other things going on. I respect his position," Towers said of Hendry.

Towers said that he will meet with team CEO Sandy Alderson on Monday and speak with Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, in the coming days to see where they go next.

Towers said one option is pulling Peavy off the trading block and going into the 2009 season with him at the front of the starting rotation.

On Wednesday, Towers had said that in all likelihood a fourth team would need to be involved in a deal with the Cubs and the Phillies to ensure the Padres got the package of players -- Major League-ready pitching as well as prospects -- they wanted for the 2007 NL Cy Young Award winner.
    The Padres have been looking to deal Peavy's $11 million salary in 2009 and the remaining four years on a contract he signed a year ago that totals $63 million.

Towers said on Wednesday that he thought the only thing holding up the deal was the need for the Cubs to move one or two contracts -- namely pitcher Jason Marquis and his $9.875 million salary and possibly second baseman Mark DeRosa and his $5.5 million salary for 2009.

The Phillies were said to want DeRosa and were thought to be willing to trade left-handed pitcher J.A. Happ, 26, who was 8-7 with a 3.60 ERA at Triple-A Lehigh Valley a year ago. Happ profiles as the kind of pitcher the Padres like -- a strike-thrower with strong control -- and one who could slide into the starting rotation in 2009.
    There were some reports that a deal would include 24-year-old Kyle Kendrick, who was 11-9 with a 5.49 ERA with the Phillies last season.

Let's Do It.:icon_toast:

edit: Let's get Trevor's fine self back in here, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I'll say this much, the deal was there and it looked decent with KT willing to pull the trigger. The fault is with the Cubs

But can we please start picking up other players to improve the team??
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what to think about our Pads anymore.

I wish I could be excited about April, but I fear another 99 loss season

:icon_sad:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Someone will sell their soul to get him at the trade deadline next year.

Its not a big deal now, but wait until teams like Atlanta and Chicago have unnexpectadly poor records come July, and they'll be clamoring to get a difference maker like Peavy.
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Just sell the team and move out of SD

Put me out of my misery

:tdown::tdown::tdown:
  6. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    LOL. Since Peavey and Giles alone will take up 50% of the entire payroll, good luck with getting any players that will actually improve the team. But hey, we did draft two SINGLE A rule V players to help us out! OMFG, this team has sunk so low it's just pathetic. You think Jake is frustrated now? If he doesn't widen that 5 team list, he's going to have one sorry team behind him.
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    They were going to do that, then John Moores stepped in.

I won't defend the state of the team right now, though.

With as much as I've defended Moores to this point I think it's a crying shame that an owner can be allowed to slash payroll just to diminish the value of his team just because he's going through a divorce.

The only redeeming factor is that at least this time around the GM isn't getting rid of players just for the sake of getting rid of them, but is instead trying to get top value for the players he's trying to trade in order to cut the payroll.
  8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I just dont really care much about the Padres anymore. Its not just them tho, ..its baseball in general. I just dont pay atention to it nowhere near what i used to.
    I want the Padres to be good but they just wont with Moores as the owner and teams like the Yankees , Mets and Dodgers buying up the great players and giving them these salaries and just killing the game where nobody else can keep up.

They need a cap or something. You cant blame teh teams like the Yanks for dishing out money when there is no restrictions but why offer so much more than they have to? Sabathia is a good pitcher but he hasnt been that great to command what he got and the guy is a fat turd. Look for his body to start failing him down the road since he isnt in very good shape but yet he gets a 7 year deal for 161 million.

AJ Burnett is a mediocre pitcher who got 82.5 mill for 5 years? Are you kidding me? I mean the guy is 87-76 in his career and this was the first season he EVER won 3 games more than he lost and he only did that once prior to this past season(won 3 games more than he lost)
    Dude was 10-8 the past 2 seasons each. I hope he stinks it up for the Yankees while they pay through the nose for him.