1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Did we just suffer our biggest blow of the year? Acee says Norv and AJ may be safe...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Would you rather have...

1. Beat the Raiders, and have Norv return for 2012?

35.7%
  2. Lost to the Raiders, and have Norv fired.

64.3%
  1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
  2. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings Received:
    +61 / 8 / -0
    I don't put much stock in what Acee says.
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    If so it could be the absolute finish of the Chargers for the next 3 to 4 years. But that's Acce and he's kissing *** to AJ and not reporting objectively.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Hopefully not 3 to 4 years, one more year of missing the playoffs should be enough.

But I don't even want to sit through that, we're pissing away the entire Philip Rivers era becauase the idiot players approve of a coach who doesn't demand accountablity or discipline.

Although you gotta think keeping Norv won't exactly help ticket sales or stadium support. I sure as hell am not cool with an owner who is happy with 8-8......just as long as we tried really hard in week 17.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    COACHING: A

If this was Norv Turner's last game, at least it ended with a victory lap. Turner convinced his players that not having anything of substance at stake in the season finale wasn't an excuse to punch out. Instead, the Chargers punched the Raiders and made team president Dean Spanos' decision on Turner's job status more difficult. In Turner's final game as a Raiders coach, Randy Moss left the locker room before Turner could address the team. There were no bolting Bolts on Sunday. They spoke of their fondness for the embattled coach.

Jay Paris
  6. JohnnyX

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    No no no if he comes back I'll literally flip out. The entire week I've been yelling and enjoying the end of Norv. Please don't ruin 2012 for me by bring back this loser again.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Also...we'll be picking 18th instead of 11 because of this win.
  8. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    and to think i was screaming score oakland score
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I wonder how many season ticket holders like that idea?
  10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    As if they can do something about it? I'm renewing whatever the outcome.
  11. JohnnyX

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    Probably not but if season ticket holders go down(which is bound to happen if Norv does come back) Spanos will suffer a lot more in he's wallet than cutting losses with Norv and AJ.
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We never had a shot at 11, the highest we could have picked if we lost was 13. Because the Chiefs drew the Colts this year on their "1st place in the division" schedule and they had two of the three worst teams in the league on their schedule whereas we (and the rest of the division only had one)... and when you're talking a team that was perennially a 10-win team that turned into a 2-win team overnight, that's a massive boon in Strength of Schedule (which is the tiebreaker for draft pick placement). Whereas we also got to enjoy drawing the Ravens in the one year where they finally decided to actually not roll over and quit at the end of their games against the Steelers and swept Pittsburgh for the first time in forever (further adding to the strength of our schedule).

We might have stood a very slight chance of sliding into #12 if the additional win that Seattle gave to Arizona, along with the extra wins of other teams on their schedule today (SF, PIT, ATL, NYG, BAL, PHI, CHI; +8 wins by opponents factored into their SOS compared to only 5 losses by 2012 opponents), but they also had us in strength of schedule going into this week by a -.125 which is pretty substantial a difference.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    No he won't. Unless they lose like 10,000 season ticket holders. That ain't gonna happen.
  14. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    OK, I'm going to look at this from a director's viewpoint, which parallels that of the Chargers' top brass in more ways than one.

I currently have an employee who is reliable, hardworking, and obviously likes her job, but over the 8 months or so she's been in the position, she has been unable to put all the pieces together. Everyone likes her; but she misses crucial details and her critical thinking skills haven't caught up to the level of responsibility she has in this position. My department managers and I have tried everything we know to help her be successful; we've worked closely with her to try to identify weaknesses and shore up her confidence in the areas of the job that challenge her, we've even threatened to demote her.....all for naught. She keeps making the same mistakes, over and over again.In the meantime, it's affecting morale among her peers, and our error rate is going up. From a low of zero errors in two consecutive months, we've gone to two, then four, and then last month we had FIVE errors---all of which were attributable directly or indirectly to this one worker.

As her supervisor, what do I do here? It's crystal clear to everyone below AND above me that this gal can't get it done, even working at her full capacity and trying to improve. She's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and she isn't the most talented employee we have, but she certainly isn't stupid, and she was great in the position we promoted her from. I don't want to have invested this much time and effort in this employee only to yank her and then have to train someone else; I like to see my people succeed. And she has some stellar days on the job---when she brings her A game, she catches some things that others miss. But with our overall error rate going up, and productivity going down because others are having to pick up her slack, I think the time has come for me to pull the plug and try out someone new.

So it is with Norv Turner. Yes, today's game was a triumph. Yes, we've had some great wins and some very close losses that could have just as easily gone the other way. But when you look at the big picture, the proof is in the W/L column: he has been at the helm for the past four years, and guided a 14-2 team into the irrelevance of being 8-8.

That alone provides all the evidence anyone should need to let Norv go, IMHO. Today's win is vastly overshadowed by the mediocrity his tenure as head coach has produced. Like my soon-to-be-demoted employee, the man is a decent sort who just happens to be in over his head, and is drowning in his own foolishness. There's no justifiable reason for Chargers management to let him take everyone else down with him. Pull the plug, turn him loose so he can be a good OC somewhere. It's time to try out someone new.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    I hope Acee is wrong. I also think he's an *** clown for calling me out on Twitter twice. But that's just me.
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    He did???
    He better not mess with Rexy!
  17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 8 / -0
    If Norv stays I'll be pissed but come September I'll still be cheering for the Chargers
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    Yeah.......dammit, so will I. After 42 years of living and dying with this team every fall and winter, I'm too old to change loyalties now. :bolt:
  19. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I'll be so pissed if he stays.. **** what Acee says, its all about what Spanos thinks, and his *** better fire Norv come Monday Night or I'll be pissed.. two straight years of no play offs, 9-7, 8-8, so if we keep him whats next year? 7-9? GET OUT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL - Just read that Rex Ryan will be interested in Norv as the OC in NY if he is fired.. watch Norv turn Sanchez into the next Brady.. SHAKE MY HEAD
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    I read that Rex said Brian Shottenheimer has ZERO chance of getting fired.....so....gonna be a bit of a log jam. haha
  22. San Diego Football Fan

San Diego Football Fan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I believe its time for a change. This team has done nothing but regress since their genius idea of firing a 14-2 coach and replacing him with someone who is only fit to be an OC. Do we have to go 0-16 for the people on top to realize this GM & Coach isn't gonna get us anywhere?
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He just finally started ignoring me because the few times he did respond I showed him that his fact checking was actually faulty and he was in fact wrong in the comparisons he was making. I don't think he likes me anymore. Then again, the fact that I took probably too much pleasure in rubbing his face in that he was wrong (mostly due to the smugness of his initial responses to me) probably factors into that too.
  24. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Most eloquent and precise post Ive seen written on the subject, nicely expressed LG !!! :tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    If this 1 victory is indeed what keeps Norv his job, then we sure paid a hell of a pricing for winning a game.

Dropped 5 spots in the draft, got a tougher schedule next year as a result, and kept a losing coach with no fire who will never lead us to anything good.

I don't mind dropping in the draft, or getting a tougher schedule, but what I do mind is letting 1 meaningless game decide the fate of a coach who has spent years proving to us that we can't win with him in charge. It would be a Spanos fail to keep him based off of how he coached when he'd already let us down and failed to get us to the playoffs for the second season in a row.
    • Like Like x 3
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    well if we fire AJ, Norv, and Manusky we'll start off the year with a 4-0 record! Oakland yesterday, and these three account for wins :tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Now apply this to ownership and/or AJ & you'll be on target.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I don't think his firing will come as quickly as we all thought, looks like Spanos will ponder the season, look and make some evaluations and make his decision..

Lot of things he has to take care of, The coaching staff, GM, and these stadium issues and possible moves to LA, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't wait til after the Super Bowl to find Norv's replacement.. surely Norv's firing should be in the coming days let alone weeks..
  29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +810 / 5 / -0
    A report from the local mall says that Norv was spotted shopping for suitcases this morning. Hmmm, I wonder what color choices he is going with?...
  30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Polian is done. And he's won a Super Bowl.
    Let's hope AJ is next.