1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dodgers vs Cubs Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Oct 1, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    I'm pulling for Dodger Blue

Jim Edmonds starts for the Cubs?? WTF??? :lol:

oh, and let's not forger Derrek Lee

Gawd my Pads suck :lol:

:bolt::bolt::bolt:
  2. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Despite loss in opener, Cubs remain optimistic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3621253

CHICAGO -- It's been almost seven months since that peculiar day, seven months since Ryan Dempster showed up for spring training, took one look at the hunger and drive that filled his team's clubhouse and proclaimed the Chicago Cubs were going to win the World Series.

It wasn't a premeditated move or one designed to create headlines or cause a stir, but rather a feeling deep within the right-hander that he couldn't ignore.

But Wednesday night, with the prophet on the mound, the best-record-in-the-National-League Cubs failed miserably in their first step toward fulfilling that proclamation, losing 7-2 to the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 1 of the NL Division Series.

It was the seventh straight postseason loss for the Cubs, who now have not won a playoff game since Game 4 of the 2003 NL Championship Series, before Steve Bartman became a household name. On this night, there were no "Cubbie Occurrences" as Lou Piniella likes to call them, no black cats, billy goats or overzealous front-row fans interfering with foul balls.

Instead, the Cubs were plagued by a complete inability to throw strikes and a lack of power from their three top offensive threats. Dempster, who walked seven batters in five September starts combined, walked seven in 4 2/3 innings against the Dodgers, a bout of wildness he escaped in the third but paid for in the fifth when James Loney belted a two-out grand slam into the bleachers.

And on offense, Alfonso Soriano, Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez extended their struggles from the 2007 postseason by going a combined 2-for-12.

By the time the eighth inning rolled around, when the public address system blasted the new Eddie Vedder Cubs song, "Someday We'll Go All the Way," a sing-along song that has to be one of the most downloaded tunes in Chicago in recent weeks, no one was in the mood to sing.

But after the game, in between apologizing for his inability to throw strikes, Dempster issued another guarantee.

"I feel terrible," Dempster said. "I feel like I let the team down. But we're going to win [Thursday]. You don't have to win five games. You only have to win three. And we'll win this one [Thursday]."

Ryan Dempster, who predicted a World Series title for the Cubs back in spring training, didn't get his team off to a good start in this postseason.
    To save the day, the Cubs will turn to arguably one of the most erratic pitchers in baseball this year, Carlos Zambrano, the man who threw a no-hitter three starts ago but has surrendered seven walks, nine hits and 13 runs over his past two starts. Going back to Aug. 3, Zambrano has surrendered fewer than three runs in only three starts.

But "Big Z" is the guy his teammates want on the hill in such a crucial game.

"[Zambrano] is nasty," Lee said. "I'm always confident with him on the mound. He's emotional, but that's the way he is. I know he'll throw well."

In many ways, the Cubs' season will come down to which Zambrano shows up Thursday: Good Z or Evil Z? Before Wednesday's loss, Zambrano said there is one thing that will determine whether or not he is successful in Game 2.

"Strike on the first pitch," he said. "I need to throw strikes and challenge the hitters. If I can do that and my sinker is working, everything will be different."

If not, the team that was supposed to be the class of the National League, the team Dempster and so many others believed would erase 100 years of misery for a fan base drooling for a World Series like a hungry Rottweiler eyeing a T-bone, likely will be finished.

On Wednesday night, the Cubs were smacked around like a sparring partner by their Hollywood counterparts. The Dodgers hit three home runs, and that doesn't count the two fly balls Cubs outfielders snagged with their backs to the wall. The Dodgers went down in order only one time, in the first.

Before the game, Piniella warned that his pitchers would need to "stay away from the walks," adding that, "walks can hurt you in this type of environment, a heck of a lot." Cubs pitchers not only walked eight, but they walked Dodgers pitcher Derek Lowe twice.

"I can't remember us doing that all summer," Piniella said. "You walk the pitcher to get the front part, middle part of their lineup? That's tough to do."

On offense, Soriano continued to personify the team's postseason struggles. He's 2-for-his-past-18 in the postseason with the Cubs. On Wednesday, he failed to hit the ball out of the infield, striking out twice while popping out to short, second and first.

"I had a game plan against him, but he threw a lot of sinkers and made good pitches to me," Soriano said. "I just need to regroup and get ready for [Game 2]. We need to win [Thursday]."

Chicago's only runs came on Mark DeRosa's wind-aided, opposite-field, two-run homer in the second. From that point on, only three Cubs players reached second base.

"You have to put pressure on the opposing pitcher, and we didn't do that at all," said center fielder Jim Edmonds, who went 1-for-4. "But this isn't over. It's the first to three wins; it doesn't matter if it's the first three or the last three. We just need to get three."

Edmonds, Lee and everyone else in the Cubs' clubhouse knows Thursday is a must-win. They simply can't head for Los Angeles down 2-0 in the series. And even though their paranoia-filled fan base might be searching for the nearest skyscraper and pondering whether or not it's time to jump, the team that has won 11 of its past 14 series dating back to Aug. 1 still is supremely confident.

"We're going to score a bunch of runs, Big Z is going to throw a gem and we're going to head back to Los Angeles tied 1-1," DeRosa said. "That's what I believe is going to happen."

Wayne Drehs is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at wayne.drehs@espn3.com.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Walt, you must really hate Cubs fans to actually be rooting for the Dodgers.

:lol:
  4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    That pitch that Manny hit for a HR last night was down around his ankles. Dude is hands-down the best right-handed hitter in MLB.
  5. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    :yes:

:lol:

and, since my Pads can't be there, I'm glad to root for your's and Kimmie's Dodger Blue

:tup:
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    The MLB playoffs are in vBookie!
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Him and Vlad. Vlad hits some crazy pitches, but he was a bonehead last night on the base paths.
  8. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:tup::tup::tup:
  9. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    you are awesome! All I can say right now watching game two is just...wow.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thread_Killer

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    All good, Walt.

FWIW, I'm not popping the champagne just yet. Haren is a beast, if the Cubbies get a win this is still a series.
  11. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    BTW,

Did I say that Cub fans SUCK!!!!

booing in the 3rd inning, :tdown::tdown::tdown:

the wind was blowing out, had the fans not jumped the bandwagon and supported their team they might have been able to come back.

just sayin

:tdown:
  12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Vlad has been as big or a bigger bust than A-rod in the postseason.

Manny has the most postseason hr's and counting......

jes sayin.....:icon_tease:
  13. Thread_Killer

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0

Most of the "elite" hitters have trouble maintaining their production in the postseason. Probably due to the better quality pitching and the pressure of the playoffs. That is why Manny is worth whatever it takes to retain him, he plays his best when the stage is biggest. In addition to the playoffs, he KILLED the Yankees when they would play the Sox.
  14. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    It's not just me,

Cub Fans SUCK!!!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/page2/20081003-9999-1s3mediacol.html

Tony Gwynn has seen the ugly side of Wrigley Field, like the day Eric Show beaned Andre Dawson and all you-know-what broke loose. He also saw the classy side of the venerable ballpark, like the day he went 5-for-5 there and the same fans who hurled so many insults his way gave him a standing ovation.

So Gwynn's familiar with what happens at Wrigley, is what I'm trying to say. But what he saw Wednesday during Game 1 of the NL Division Series game between the Cubs and Dodgers surprised him.

“I thought it would be electric here, and they were kind of sitting on their hands most of the night, even when they got the lead,” said Gwynn, who is working the series as a TBS analyst. “I really thought it would be electric here, and it really wasn't.

“It was not at all like 1984.”

Oh, yes, 1984. You might remember Gwynn and the Padres went to Wrigley that October, got whacked in two games, but then came home and swept the Cubs back into misery. Do Cubs fans remember?

“Do they remember me?” Gwynn said. “Oh, gosh, they were so (ticked) off (Wednesday) night as I walked out. They remember me, no question.

“I couldn't tell you if (1984 was the reason). I just know there weren't a lot of happy campers. ... They got beat and it's the announcer's fault, I guess,” he added with that familiar laugh.

“Some people said, 'Hey, congratulations on the Hall of Fame' and stuff, but they were few.”

Gwynn, who had been to Wrigley only once since his retirement a few years ago to do a game for ESPN, expects a different atmosphere tomorrow when the series resumes at Dodger Stadium, regardless of what happened last night in Game 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    They just showed Orel Hershiser's last pitch in game 5 of the 1988 World Series.

I can't believe the nostalgia it just brought up, considering how much of a non-fan I am of the Dodgers now.

(I used to be a Dodgers fan, 1989 was the year I switched to the Padres...I was 8 years old then.)

Orel is still one of my all time favorite pitchers.