1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Does drafting a QB mean bye bye Whitehurst?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Apr 29, 2013.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    IMO, it should. He is taking up a lot of cap money to hold a clip board, and having 3 QB's on the roster is a waste
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    Having 3 QBs I agree more often than not is a waste but having Sorensen as backup in case God forbid anything happens to Philip I don't think so. We could probably pick up another vet QB for the year and try and hide Sorensen on PS. Mind you look how that turned out for us with Tolzien.
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I just figured it meant Telescopo was exhausted and drunk at that point.

Can't imagine trusting Sorensen any time soon--if ever--to run a team if PR got hurt
    (the closest to "He looks like an NFL qb" I can come is: "He has a Matt Hasselbeck hairline.")

Why a super-longshot QB project over adding another promising OT like Summers-Gavin is a mystery to me.

telescopo.jpg
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    To me, if Rivers goes down, I have zero faith in this team to win even with Whitehurst behind center. If Rivers goes down for an extended period of time, our season is over no matter if we have 2 or 3 QB's on the roster
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Well, that's probably right. But I think it's more like:

"Well, if I die behind the wheel, I don't have much faith that my 3 year-old or my 12 year-old
    can safely bring the truck to a stop...so I really have no preference re. which one were to try..." :whistling:
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That's fine, fact of the matter is, the rookie will make league min while Whitehurst is making $2+ mil that could better be used finding another pass rusher, NT, or OL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I "get" the argument...I even think it's reasonable.

But my thinking is, PR's games-started streak is on borrowed time: It's unusual for a QB to take as many hits as he has, without missing games. Would that mean that the Chargers--and their fans--would be royally screwed?
    Absolutely. But...if Sorensen is Plan B, I think the season is over that day. If Whitehurst is Plan B,
    the odds still suck...but I don't think you necessarily have to write off the whole season immediately.
    (I'm getting to the age that it doesn't seem like there's unlimited chances anymore...I want every season to count)

Again, I'm not arguing that the difference between Sorensen & Whitehurst is JaPorkus vs. Peyton...
    but I do feel that having a less desperate back-up plan is worth one or two million dollars of a
    $123,000,000.00 salary cap. Plenty of other places on the roster I'd try to be frugal.
  8. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    Probably means Sorenson will be the QB on our practice squad
  9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    Let them all complete and let the chips fall where they may. Not a big Whitehurst fan but I've never understood carrying just two QBs...could lose them both in one game or back to back weeks. I also agree with one of the posters above that PR is riding a very long starting streak...too long.
    BTW: Sorenson looked pretty good on his YouTube highlight tape. Worked out of the pro set too, which is unusual for Mount Grunion Community College or whereever he came from. :)
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    So you are OK with 2 players holding a clip board and never seeing the field, and limiting the depth at another position that will actually contribute to special teams or in a rotation?
  11. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I don't agree. Frank Reich and McCoy did there due diligence with Sorensen. Reich practiced with him multiple times, took him out do dinner ect. There's something they obviously really liked about Sorensen; Dysert and Bray(supposedly this guy doesn't have it up stairs) we're still on the board when they took him. I think we just got to trust them on this one, they know better than we do, and we weren't there during these interview's.

Also drafting a new backup QB in the late rounds for the regime makes perfect sense. They want to have there own guy, that they handpicked, to groom behing Rivers. Not Whitehurst, Norv turners little pet play caller.

I also was curious why we didn't sign Summers-Gavin in UDFA, but we signed Nick Becton instead, who played LT in college. They probably rather decide to groom a future potential LT than G, but it would of made sense to take both of them. Do we know if Summers-Gavin was signed by someone else? I thought I remember seeing the Bills tied with his name...
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Speaking of Tolzien and granted Norv's not here anymore, but it could really come down to who scouted him (if it was John Spanos then there's perhaps hope). With San Fran trading for Colt McCoy, and drafting a QB (who is likely to be converted to RB but could still likely serve as the 3rd QB), there's a decent chance he gets waived at some point in the preseason.

Sorenson smacks of a Whisenhunt project. So we'll see. If he shows well in camp, we could see Whitehurst released to free up cap space to be put towards a Butler extension. If not, well... we shall see.
    • Like Like x 1