1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dolphins sign OT Clabo

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, May 5, 2013.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    He's not that bad either. You gotta remember, our OL coach made something out of Demetrees Bell, and i guarantee the hell out of you when Buffalo fans saw they were going into the year with Demetrees Bell as they're starting LT....its possible they got a little concerned just like we are with Dunlap, and it turned out well for them. We dont know if he'll perform the same or better, or worse. But here are a list of things we do know...

Demetrees Bell was a above average to good starting LT with our OL coach before
    King Dunlap beat out Bell for the starting LT spot in Philly last year
    PFF rated Dunlap as a plus pass protector last year
    Dunlap will be moving from one of the hardest QB's in the league to protect (Vick) to a much more stable QB (Rivers)
    King Dunlap knows our OL coach very well, since HS at that
    Joe D has known, and has been very close with Dunlap ever since he was in High School, and Joe D has wanted Dunlap playing for him since he was in High School...

I dont think we're going to see any spectacular transformation of Dunlap into one of the best OT's of all time. But with a good scheme fit (which this is) and good coaching/development (which Joe D has a track record of), i dont see any reason why King Dunlap can't be just as much, and honestly more than what Joe D got out of Bell. Fluker is a very high floor player, who's a dominating run blocker (i liked calling him Instant Run Game in the draft), and has very good coaching in a scheme that we will run something similar to in the power zone that Alabama runs. He's got a higher ceiling than some might expect because of how he looks on the field (as opposed to how he actually moves when you watch him, what i've seen, feet are actually better than advertised, but footwork stops on first contact with defender, and tries to stand still, good coaching can, and will fix that).

Our interior OL will be interesting. We have a bunch of un-athletic, but hard working, HIGHLY technical players at OG (Clary, Molk, Schilling, Troutman etc etc) so we'll have to see how that works out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    Wow has this thread moved on from Clabo or what. I agree with this, Clary can get too upright and can be knocked back on his *** far too easily. I don't see him translating to Guard to be honest. I'd much prefer to see Troutman and Rinehart become the Guards.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    He's been in the league awhile...
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I like you're optimism Duff, but I'm not holding my breath on the guy. We'll see how TC goes. I'm a bit more excited about Starks as a starter and Dunlap as a backup. But time will tell.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Fluker will be a guard soon enough, don't worry about that position.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0

oh, ok, if you say so :rolleyes:
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    By John Gennaroon May 29 2013, 4:12p

Kevin Acee co-hosted "The World of Sports According to Chris and Ben" this morning with Ben Higgins. I listened to about 10 minutes of it, and Kevin sounded sleepy but was making solid points.
    The thing I like about Kevin is that he never goes quiet. He's always talking, even if he's not saying much. That's a good quality for radio, I think.

That's not the point. The point is that Kevin said that, after OTAs, many are concerned about D.J. Fluker as a Tackle and think the team might need to play him at Guard. That is terrifying. Did the San Diego Chargers use the 11th overall pick to select a Guard when their #1 priority was fixing the passing game?

Anyway, this is nothing new. I bitched for days after the Fluker pick about how they basically just replaced Jeromey Clary with Jeromey Clary and expected the offensive line to get better. They're stuck with him now. Moving him to Guard and having Max Starks/King Dunlap as the team's Tackles is not a move for the future, it's a move for the present that arguably hurts the future of the offensive line.

Kudos to Kevin Acee for creating something for us to talk about in the middle of the offseason doldrums, though.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21

Yep, I think its a safe bet that he won't finish his rookie contract at RT. He didn't have the feet in college, he sure as hell won't have them in the NFL.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Could be the reason they were recently talking to Winston Justice????
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Unfortunately I think you right. I knew it as soon as we made the pick. Then I hit denial for a bit, tried to block it out once I heard all the good things said about him, but you can't block out tape, and its clear, he got beat a times in college, he'll sure as hell get beat even more in the NFL.

Though early, this could be something major or minor.