1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Draft Day Rounds 4-7

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 28, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I'm thinking Josh Chapman could be available in the 5th, he'd be a good addition who could basically redshirt the first year
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    I liked Nick Toon as a 4th rounder.

And I didnt notice that Massie is off the board. Glad we passie on Massie.
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Chris Polk anyone?
  4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    was just thinking that
  5. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Maybe Rainey..... That would give us the "Sproles type" player.
  6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3

Nah forget a Sproles we need another Micheal Bennett like back that can go in if Matthews cant. Also be nice if this Bennett has catchablity to do the third down sproles impresion.
  7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    im thinking cyrus gray, chris polk, or rainey... id be happy with any of the 3 .. although with rainey we would probably still need a back to take the pounding consistently if mathews goes down to injury because i cant see rainey being more then just a change of pace
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    BLASPHEMER! BURRIS GOES TO THE RAIDERS!
  9. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Yeah Rainy can't pound it. If AJ would select him then a big FA RB would be needed.
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If my predictions hold he'll be our guy.

We traded our 6th, right?

Micah Pellerin with 1 of the 7's. ;)
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Well they do need alot of help and shafted theirselves all over this years draft. Hes one of THOSE players now. ;./

Hope he fakes his way out of the organization fast.
  12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    yeah id be shocked if AJ picked rainey but safe to say i have a man crush on the kid so ill be praying :D
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Damn, Denver gets Hillman, Oakland gets Burris, now KC just has to get Lindley and the clean sweep is finished.
  14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Top Guys on my board

Josh Chapman NT Alabama
    Josh Norman CB Coastal Carolina
    Josh Kaddu OLB Oregon (I swear I'm not doing this on purpose)
    Chris Rainey RB Florida
    Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy
  15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Ok I can see why you all are likin This Zebri Sanders guy

Overview

Sanders is a quick athlete for his size, though he could stand to put on more weight. He excels in the pass game, where he uses his size and does not allow defenders to get by him. He is a smart player who rarely gets out of position and projects to be a reliable option for teams at the next level, with the potential to creep into the first round.
    Analysis

Strengths

Sanders is an athletic big man. While he holds his own in the run game, he is a great pass blocker who knows how to use his hands and size to stay productive. He has good feet and is very smooth in his movements and pass sets. He has good agility and can get his body on defenders upfield in the run and screen game.
    Weaknesses

While Sanders is a smooth athlete, he does not necessarily display the strength and explosiveness that is evident of most first-round-type linemen. He will not wow anyone with his ability to knock a defender off the line.

Sounds like a great pulling G.
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    This guy? Really?

Positives: Nice-sized, athletic tackle who comes with upside. Patient in pass protection, works to stays square and keeps defenders in front of him. Strong at the point and uses effective body positioning to seal opponents from the action. Quickly gets his hands up and knocks pass rushers from their angle of attack. Bends his knees and blocks with leverage.

Negatives: Lacks smooth footwork sliding out to protect the edge and does not show top lateral blocking range. Struggles handling quick, speedy opponents. Lacks blocking balance. Strong but not dominant.

Analysis: Sanders is highly thought of in some scouting corners yet is an overrated lineman in need of work on his overall game. He has the body type to play at the next level but must improve his overall mechanics, balance and strength before he'll break into a starting lineup in the NFL.

Projection: 4th

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/82300.html?sct=dt-ba#ixzz1tMHTgkZG
  17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Ok if not Sanders, lets take James Brown with the 5th.

projected to the 1st round and is still available... Another steal imo.

Overview

Brown excelled at the left tackle position at Troy, allowing very few sacks. But he's not quite tall enough to stay outside in the NFL, and is a better run-blocker than pass-protector, so he projects as a guard. He will likely be taken toward the end of the second round by a team looking for depth on its line.
    Analysis

Strengths

Brown has the initial quickness to jolt defenders back off the snap. He is solid in the run game, able to clear gaps and keep his man near him once engaged. Defenders rarely fall off his blocks. He is a good athlete when moving upfield, able to sink his hips to fit on a block, which should serve him well when pulling. He is competitive and works until he hears the whistle.
    Weaknesses

Brown didn't play guard in college, so he will face a learning curve as he transitions. He is only an average pass blocker. He has adequate footwork, but he can become too aggressive once in his set, causing him to fall forward and lose his balance, allowing defenders to beat him. If he were to try to play tackle in the NFL, he would run into trouble against the bigger, more athletic ends he'd face.
  18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Im reading whats on NFL.com site.. Not sure I like that SI ranking system.

NFL.com says he can pull same with Brown. I just want a guy that can fit in a G and pull for toss plays.
  19. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    hey guys stop it were taking a RB!!!!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    If I am going guard i would prefer Brandon Brooks from Miami or Ryan Miller from Colorado based on their side and talent
  21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Also I do like Brown over Sanders even tho hes rated behind him on NFL.com.
  22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Also NFL.com you may have noticed, Clusters the O and Dline players. So im lookin at best of the rest OTs and Gs. Havent check out Brooks or Miller yet.
  23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Also yea go for Miller if we are gonna address the position in the 7th. I like takin a guy thats rated in the 80s in the 5th round....
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    You kno lookin at Miller and his 6' 7 stature and all the talk of he should be moved outside to T... he just doesnt have the arms of a prototypical Tackle. Armspan is a issue with Tackles unlike OLBs.

And we dont need a G that is 6'7 and cant get lower than his lineman.
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    After our fifth round pick, i'm heading out for a little. It's too nice to be here all day
  26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    The Vikings are snatching up those Hogs wideouts.

Maybe they'll fire Fraizer and replace him with Petrino next.
  27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Well there went Josh Chapman to the Colts, they got a proper nose tackle
  28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Luke Nix

6'5" Height
    • 33 1/2" Arm Length
    • 317LBS. Weight
    • 9 3/4" Hands
    Overview

Nix was a starter for three years -- one at right tackle and two at right guard. He is a very strong player when run blocking and pass setting. He is technique-savvy, and it shows when he uses his hands to keep defenders at bay and employs a strong, powerful pass set and solid anchor. Nix has third-round value, thanks in part to his versatility.
    Analysis

Strengths

Nix is fast off the snap to get into a defensive tackle's face, and he displays the same speed when pulling around to get to linebackers. He keeps his feet moving when he engages and can drive defenders backward. Nix is able to keep a steady balance and sustain his blocks despite the wide base he falls back into when contact is initiated. He can handle strong defenders and is one of the strong anchor-type guards who can sit back and absorb a heavy rush without getting blown back.
    Weaknesses

While he does possess good footwork, Nix has a tough time breaking down in space to fit on athletic linebackers once he reaches the second level. He has decent hands when working blocks, but stronger players can beat him. Nix relies on a sturdy base with much of his blocking and that could get him in trouble against more powerful players at the next level.

Id take this guy too in the 5th. AND hes got that Magic ability to slide to RT....
  29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    I think I like this guy with our 5th too.
    Senio Kelemente

6'3" Height
    • 33 1/2" Arm Length
    • 307LBS. Weight
    • 9 5/8" Hands
    Only put up 21 reps tho.... so clearly not the strongest
    Overview

Kelemete has been a steady presence for Washington for four years who has shown versatility across not only the offensive but the defensive line throughout his career. He started at defensive tackle in 2008, then switched to offensive guard for the 2009 season before starting the past two at left tackle. He is an athlete for such a big body. Teams will debate whether to leave him outside or move him in to guard, and he could project better there as he is a bit short for the tackle position. Look for him to be taken in the fifth round to a team in need of line depth.
    Analysis

Strengths

Kelemete is an athlete, especially for a lineman who could potentially be playing on the interior. He comes off the ball fast and consistently puts himself in good positions for blocks. He is able to stay with his blocks for the duration of running plays and is good to use his feet to maneuver himself in the right position when pulling and sealing. Working up to the second level, Kelemete gets in good position to get his big body in front of linebackers. He uses his hands well.
    Weaknesses

Kelemete still has technique issues with his pass set when working from the tackle position. He has shown a tendency to set his base a bit slowly and get off balance and beat to the outside. This could be yet another reason to move him inside.
  30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Admittedly Chris Polk really really is falling, I don't know why and I'd prefer to go defense but yeah he might be too good of a value to pass