1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Draft Time

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Showmeyourbolt, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    K, all you draft gurus. Would one of you college football honks give me a list of beef to watch at the combine this year? Screw Muaulalguuagulaualggauglaugalgua or another runningback. Beef is needed on the offensive and defensive line, and we can't settle for guys in the sixth or seventh round this year.
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    AJ doesn't usually go after lineman in early rounds. You'll find some gems down in the later rounds. Got to go after skill positions. Nothing wrong with Maleauga. Dude is gonna be real good, but then again we need somebody to replace Hart at safety. Dude just tanked today and previous games. Still pissed but I'm over it now. Maybe this beer Im drinking has something to do with it? :icon_toast:
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    BEEF in round 1 or Taylor Mays PLEASE
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Unless the player is a knock down drag out superstar lock, I can't see AJ drafting beef in the 1st round. Michael Oher if he falls that far maybe.

Also I think Willie Moore is a better cover saftey than Mays.
  5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0

You don't have to go after skill positions in the first round. Many teams get their best lineman in the first couple of rounds, and it is imperative that we do as well. Bad safeties and runningbacks can be hidden by dominating play up front, and we have lacked in that area the entire season.

Goff and Clary are routinely shoved aside on passing plays, and look just as pathetic on running plays. The offensive line gets no push against even the weakest of teams, and games where our running backs had actual room were the exceptions not the rule.

The defensive line had very very few games where they left a positive imprint on the game. Igor is useless at everything, and Luis can't seem to get to a QB unless he has Merriman next to him. You need DT(or de's in a 3-4) that can get to the QB in todays NFL, and we don't have them. WE never get pressure up the middle, and that can be explained by having too many lineman who play patty cake at the line of scrimmage.

AJ get us some Grade A beef this year in the draft, not some seventh round scrub with "upside."
  6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 1 / -0
    I believe we are drafting in the number 16 spot and are done after that on the first day. we will probably have 4 of 5 picks on the second day, so we are going to have to hope the scouts can find real value in guys most of us have never heard of. Overall, AJ and company have done a pretty good job at this plus scoring big on undrafted players.
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +387 / 6 / -0
    I want beef also, and no more physically inferior overachievers (in college)
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    somewhere between 16-20 i'd bet and yeah we don't have a second but we will probably get another third (michael turner) and probably a fifth/sixth (Drayton Florence) in compensation.

Lots of options from there and if one of the big LBs like Malauga or Laurinitis is there, i think theyd be great additions. You could trade down and shoot for someone like BJ Raji later in the first (for now) or Duke Robinson, the mammoth guard.
  9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    BEEF Jihad 2009
  10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
  11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    denver was lucky to get the 12th pick, chargers pick around #20 i think

i think even laurinaitis will be gone by then, cushing will be there but hes not a first rounder imo, so forget a lb in the first round

if (probably) mays is gone then either cody or mccoy will be there at DT

3rd rd pick up curtis taylor from LSU, an oliver/taylor tandem in the future would be a huge upgrade

imo weddle would be better as a nickel/dime back
  12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    Chargers have pick 16 period.

I wish people would stop debating it and focus on who might be there at 16.
  13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    this was before they made the playoffs, im pretty sure they lost a few spots because of that
  14. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    sombody in another post said that your draft pick doesnt change unless you make it to the SB, it is set in the regular season and doesnt take play off games into account....

I dunno if thats true, but if it is then we should focus on who we can get at pick 16
  15. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    What about that Safety from University of Oregon: Patrick Chung?
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    We pick 16th, in front of the Jets and behind Houston. Not a bad spot.

We don't have a second, we will in all likeliness get a third (michael turner) and probably a fifth (drayton florence) as compensation picks

http://footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html
    Also a look at some of the people who will be avaliable in FA too
  17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Rey Maualaga or Brandon Spikes. Wouldn't mind trading a other draft picks for Bennie.
  18. clontarf_bolt

Ratings Received:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    hah Brandon Spikes, that'd bring some fire to our pass rush!!

and by Bennie did you mean Beanie?? as in Chris Wells from Ohio?
  19. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +836 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean- Spikes has had 3.5 sacks over his career at florida but he's a tackling machine
  20. clontarf_bolt

Ratings Received:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    yeah Im a florida fan so its always gas watching him goin mad!

he has few interceptions and what not too
  21. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    With the Bronco's at #12, I think its a pretty good bet they go with Raji....they need a 3-4 nose with Nolan switching to a 3-4.....so that is a bummer, but next year's draft may be the best for a 3-4 in the HISTORY of the draft.........so I'm confident if we baby Jamal again for 2009 (light training camp, etc) we will have to wait another year for this CRUCIAL spot for our club.

Ron Brace is a possibility, but he is not nearly as talented as Raji.

My Easter present would be Micheal Oher, the awesome story from The Blind Side would be IDEAL as a second legit bookend to solidify our Oline. Tackles are more important than guards to get talent........and if Big Mac ever went down Oher could be a legit Blind side protector for Rivers. He could fall to #16, as the two draft analysts I trust (Mayock from NFL Network, and Scott Wright from Draftcountdown.com) have him as the third or 4th tackle behind Andre Smith and Monroe.

Problem is The Rams, Chiefs, Raiders and Jacksonville all need OTackles.....so he may not slide to #16.

This leads me to believe Maualuga may be more realistic....and would certainly beastify our ILB crew, after Wilhelm's caper, I say hit the streets Buckeye...and hello second coming of Seau!!!!!!

The other need is safety, William Moore is the best safety in the draft, but he struggled this year and put on some weight....if he shows up at the combine in shape and runs well his numbers and Junior production may merit a look.

The other obvious choice would be Duke Robinson, he could play tackle or guard.....since we need both, this may be where AJ Smith goes.

I would be thrilled with any of Oher, Maualuga, Moore, or Duke....to be honest Duke may fill the biggest need.

Any way you slice it AJ will hit another Homer at #16. The real test becomes what does he do with the 3rd rounders. I am hoping for Chung, Levitre (admit it you want a Levitre on our team!!!) and another Olineman!!!!
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    We'll see about that part.

I like your choices except for Maualuga. He's no Junior & don't expect him to be. Now that Spikes isn't coming out I don't see an ILB with our first. Oher at 16 would be a steal, IMO. Robinson is a bit of a reach but we have a glaring need for guys on the right side. Moore is a good safety & I could get on board with this pick if he has a good combine.

My thinking has us taking BPA at 16 excluding QB, WR, TE, kickers, and FB. Any other positions are fair game. I know the trenches are where the war is won, so I hope that BPA at 16 is a top-notch fat guy. :tup:
  23. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204 / 2 / -0
    If you mean Beanie Wells, most likely he will be available when we pick since Knowshon is making himself eligible this year. I'd rather not have Wells though. He's a great bruiser, but I don't see him having a long career, he's injury prone and he's not even in the NFL yet. Wait till he has to run against huge fast D-linemen and he'll be getting hurt a lot more.

It's probably not going to happen, but if Knowshon drops to 16 I see AJ picking him up as the heir apparent for LT. That guy is crazy.
  24. pure-sol

Ratings Received:
    +204 / 2 / -0
    Link
    facts for this guy
    This guy could be exciting!
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Not much of a right tackle, very finese like
  26. pure-sol

Ratings Received:
    +204 / 2 / -0
    20 knockdown blocks doesn't tell me there's a ton of finesse there! :lol:
  27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    His reports, his body types and watching him suggest a very 'D'brickashaw Ferguson' style player