1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Drew Brees MNF vs. Falcons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    New Orleans was devastated in the 60's as well and came back and was largely forgotten until Katrina. It will bounce back but it will take a decade.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    Man there are alot of Republican apologists on this board. The citizens of New Orleans were abandoned by the federal government in the aftermath of Katrina. They are still not doing enough to help these displaced individuals. Obviously, the rebuilding of the city is going to take decades, but many homeless people could have FEMA trailers on their property, but their neighborhoods are still without potable water.

I applaud ESPN for their coverage of the game and of the condition of New Orleans. Obviously, the game was shown as a huge positive, an announcement that "New Orleans is back." To temper this notion with the truth, they showed how much of the city is still devastated. I think that was both accurate and responsible of them. To borrow a Fox "News" term, I daresay it was "fair and balanced."

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0

I think rebuilding is the healing process that produces a scar. But not rebuilding leaves an open wound. I will choose the former every time.

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Ugghh. Clueless Democratic Mayor and even more Clueless Democratic Governor were and still are the problem. Dems belong on the Ravens blog.

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Donnie Edwards is a democrat. :icon_shrug:

6. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    It took 5 days before the federal government (FEMA) got help to those poor folks.

Thats Bush's problem not the dems.

7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Good one.

I am not sure though. He is making enough cabbage he may actually like low taxes.

8. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Then again so do all those bleeding heart hollywood types.:yes:

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    In any emergency the following response should be expected.

Days 1-2: Local
    Days 3-4: State
    Days 5 : Federal

Locals also have to arrange & coordinate the evacuation.

Jeb can help these boys out planning for disaster. He seems to get through them pretty easily.

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    In your bolded statement my opinion is this:

I think that The people of New Orleans need to help themselves get back on their feet than have the Governments hand all over it then the poeple of New orleans are going to have so much red tape to go trough including so many hoops to go through with one hand tied behind their back and hobbled to a point that the city will never get built back up and the people will not be able to get back on their feet and have the hand out given all the time to include having us the tax payers pay for the people to get back on their feet if they can get back on their feet.

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Because the less cabbage you make, the more you like taxes?

I know I'm always hoping for another tax to roll around and take up some more of my discretionary income...

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    You are truly clueless. What is one of the primary purposes of government? To provide basic infrastructure for the citizens. If the infrastructure is devastated, the government needs to respond and help them rebuild. The levees breaking was largely a problem of the Army Corps of Engineers. It was their job to maintain the levees. They failed. A small, impoverished portion of the populace should not be expected to bear the entire burden of the government's failure. To suggest that they should is both tremendously callous and completely illogical.

There are people in New Orleans who lost everything. And these are people who had very little to begin with. They aren't expecting the government to rebuild their homes and replace all their possessions. They just want to come home. They want basic utilities, potable water, so they can get their FEMA trailers, which are paid for and sitting unused in a giant field.

The destruction of New Orleans was both predictable and preventable. The government, on all levels, failed to protect the physical safety and the personal property of the city's residents.

Instead of giving the wealthiest people in this country billions of dollars in tax relief, the government should be using that money to help people who, through no fault of their own, have lost everything.

It's sad when political rhetoric and blind allegiance to a prescribed ideology trumps basic humanity.

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I will not apologize for this and here it is:

No tax payer money for the rebuilding of New Orleans.

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    Congratulations for not apologizing for a heartless, gutless and irrational stance. You might be a moron, but you are committed, or at least you should be.

Imagine the horror, if you were not able to Super Size your next Big Mac value meal, all so some family in New Orleans could have a place to live, or so their kids could have a school to attend, or a hospital to go to when they get sick.:tup:

I'm sure you'd have the exact same attitude if it was your family who lost everything because of a natural disaster.

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    No, because the more you dislike taxes (as my boy might) the more you go for the GOP. True whether you have lots of cabbage or not.

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    It's sad when political rhetoric and blind allegiance to a prescribed ideology trumps basic humanity.[/QUOTE]

Basic humanity means you treat grown men and women like grown men and women, not like helpless children.

Do you realize home prices in New Orleans are skyrocketing? These poor people should pick up some hammers and start flipping houses. This is America.

The Turtle rocks.

17. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    My family did lose everything while in Kansas during a Flood that occured because of a Government flood plain failed and we as a family had to get a job minus the kids which I was one at the time where we were and get our selves back on our feet not for the Government to help because it was not going to happen because we were not going to go through the hoops to get the money, housing, food, health care services, and vet care we needed and at that time it would have taken too long also because we would all have died including the 2 dogs if we were given the assistance of the Government so we as a family had to do it ourselves and not the Government.

That is why I am the way that I am.

18. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    I think the citizens of NO needed a hand up not a hand out.

Thats what government should be for. A benevolent government.

A kinder, gentler nation. :)

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    The turtle is a semi-literate boob. Providing grown men and women with the same basic services that all other grown men and women in this country receive is not treating them like children.

I know it's sometimes inconvenient for a government to protect the basic welfare of its citizens, but it's also the purpose of government. If we are all expected to fend for ourselves entirely, then f-u-c-k it, let's become an anarchy. But as long as we remain a representative democracy, I'll expect the government to represent the entire citizenry, not just those wealthy enough to line their pockets with campaign contributions.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    So because the government failed you it should fail everyone? That makes sense.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  22. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    It failed a lot of people not just my family while in Kansas.

If there is something that I can do to get myself back on my feet then I will most definitely will do it.

I do not want to wait for the Government to help I want to help myself.

The only way that I would see the Government to help is if a person is incapable in all ways and facets unable to help themselves like a person who is in a Wheelchair and can not work but function in life as a bare minimum as a person by breathing only then I want the Government to help.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The government should just carpet napalm the area and thin out the population.

If someone is stupid enough to live behind levees which have failed catastrophically before and whose living areas are below sea level - those morons are just contaminating the gene pool so why is anyone biitching ???

Those that move back to those same areas and want the government to spend Billions just to watch it get flushed again ?

Fuc them.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    What about people who don't even have cars being expected to evacuate themselves from a city, when the government had access to all manner of vehicles that could have been used to evacuate the people beforehand? How many of the 1300 people who were killed by Katrina actually had to die? How many could have been prevented?

25. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    ....had the mayor done his job and enforced the evacuation?

to properly complete the question.

27. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0

Any time Turbo. I got your drift no matter which way you wrote it. Its all good. Your concepts are spot on.

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    The mayor's a tool. I don't think the federal government is entirely to blame. But the ultimate responsibility rests with the chief executive. Just like in every company.

29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    They did know Katrina was coming and the people them selves did nothing to get out in time.

The Democrat Government of New Orleans did very little to get the people out I will give that but it was the peoples responsibility to get themselves that were capable to get out not the Governments.

Personal responsibility.

Not someone elses responsiblity.

30. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Hey Trumpy. The same could be said of people who live on unstable fault lines. ;)

On the disaster scale, an 8.0 on the San Andreas fault would make Katrina look like a summer shower.