1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Drew Brees MNF vs. Falcons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 25, 2006.

1. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I do not watch 60 Minutes or read newspapers much including watching the News on TV. I get most of my news from the Internet and that is for the most part.

With what I meant by Welfare State is this:

The State of Louisiana is a Liberal minded state which is all government and very little if any self responsibilty.

There is to me little to no way to prepare for the Katrina Hurricane than the if thing is seeing it happen in the news then it becomes the responsibility of the individual to get out before the thing strikes instead of waiting for any of the governments to tell the person to get out of the town and helping them out except for the Disabled and including incapable physically and mentally for those people, then it falls entirely on the local and State Government to help those individuals out and in this case it was a big F-U-C-K-U-P to the umpteenth degree. that I agree with but on the Local and State Government only none of the Federal Government at all it is not their responsibility.

The State and Local Governments of Louisiana should have said to the Army Corps of Engineering to fix the leeves before Katrina with the State and Local funds to do the job but it was not done and I give you that as well.

Me as an American I am not Ashamed of being an American because of Katrina. I was not there to help so why should I be ashamed?

To add:

I do not blame myself for Katrina because I will not do it due to I was not there and if I was I would help if I could at that time.

The only ones that should be blamed is only the State of Louisiana and the City of New Orleans Governments for not getting out their citizens before the Hurricane struck.
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0

When are folks going to understand the governement isn't here to help us. But only to control us. My guess is it will be too late when most do figure it out. And then theres some that just love to be told what to think and how they should live.
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Somebody else posted they are not controlled by the government and I responded "do you have a Social Security Number ?
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Lead - Follow or get out of the way :yes:
  5. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    :icon_eek:
  6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Heh. Do they stop at red lights?

Do they pay sales tax?

Everyone's controlled by the government to an extent unless you want to run off into the woods in Canada and live off the land... Or do a Tom Hanks and find a deserted island somewhere...
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    It is hard for them to do the job when the money was cut from the funding for the repairs.

The major fault for this colossol FUKUP drops right at the feet of the federal Gov't. Bush with his Upper Crust Tax Cuts and Cuts in Federal spending hacked 500 Mill from the the army corps of engineers budget.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/2329/

Also remember Bush sat on his *** for 3 freaking days on VACATION after Katrina hit. Talk about being asleep at the wheel.
  8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Ok Kwak.

Me myself I do not want my tax dollors spent on things that have pork in it of any kind.

I still think that the State and Local Governments of Louisiana needed to increase the income taxes including sales taxes to help in their own problems in that state with the levees to pay for the augmentations to the Levees instead of having all come from the Federal Government to include the what if the Army Corp of Engineering could not do it then the State then needs to take the responsibilty to protect its state by doing it itself from those taxes from the State.

I am also the type of person that would not want someone else in Ohio to pay for the problems of an earthquake when it strikes here in California except for Californians themsleves with taxes on the State and Local Governments not from Federal Tax money to be used to help with its problem of an earthquake.
  9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Pork?? What are you talking about.

The Army Corps is a Federal not a State institution.

For your argument to be valid, then the Federal Govt should not be taking income tax from me and it should only be a state tax.

FEMA is a federal institution that was put in place for MAJOR events such as Katrina, because no one state has the resources to deal with that. That what the Federal Emergency part means.

When Andrew wasted South FL, the FEMA was there. So you are saying FL should have fended for themselves?
  10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Your income taxes are used for the Government to use and still needs to be paid as part of your State taxes and I did not mean that you should stop paying your income taxes just have more taken from your state taxes is all this is if you are a resident of Louisiana.

The pork was part of the spending for other things to include it for the Army corp to use but a big part was not going to the Corp but to useless things instead of the Corp.

I will applaud the FEMA for that disaster of Andrew but for Katrina they could not do it because the State of Louisiana was wanting more help and more money to help from FEMA and FEMA could not give it due to lack of help that Louisiana wanted and funds on FEMAs end that Louisiana wanted.

FEMA is not an organization to help people stay on there feet just to get back up on their feet from a catastrophe like Katrina but Louisiana wanted FEMA to do more and they could not, to include FEMA to be a permanent Crutch for Louisiana, it just cannot do it.

That is why I am the type that rather do it myself than have someone else help me to do it or do it for me.
  11. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I could not disagree more Trumpy.

The city of New Orleans could NOT "get out of the way" of that horrific storm...yes some residents may foolishly not have heeded the warning but no one deserves their homes and neighborhoods to be completely submerged and devastated by a natural disaster of epic proportions...

The people who did heed the warnings also had their homes and entire lives destroyed...even though they got out. I think they deserve some empathy...as well as some Federal govt funds to help rebuild.

If the levees had not failed this disaster would not have become exponentially worse...no one deserves to have their homes, neighborhoods, cars, pictures and everything they own ruined...whether they heeded warnings or not. And the residents who did get out still have nothing left...

Were they supposed to put their houses on their backs when they got out? Everything they owned? Imagine being left with nothing.

This was a natural disaster of biblical proportions compounded by man-made error in not properly maintaining vitally important levees.

New Orleans is still a disaster area...and I feel for those who call it home. I hope they can rebuild their lives. I know some people who went down there to help and they said it was the worst thing they ever saw...

I am the poster person for preaching not to rely on the government in your personal life, but this was one of the worst disasters ever to hit the United States...it wiped out an entire city...whether you stayed or whether you evacuated. The hurricaine did not care.

And for suffering though that, the people of New Orleans deserve some consideration and empathy. No one deserves to go through this kind of human suffering.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

Yes these people were failed at all levels of government starting with their idiotic mayor, Mr. Blame Everyone Else and Pass the Buck as Long As I'm Re-elected Nagin, as well as their clueless governor....

I know there are different opinions on Katrina, but the they "deserved" what they got is just not right imo...no one deserves having their lives, homes, schools, jobs destroyed by a natural disaster.
  13. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

What about us stupid Californians who live KNOWINGLY over major earthquake faults which could swallow all of us right up in a moment's notice and liquify the areas of those living by the beach...it's no different. Everywhere you live there is something: earthquakes, tornados, snow, hurricaines. You just hope you pass under the radar.

New Orleans didn't.

Maybe I'm contaminating the gene pool by living in earthquake country! All of us! :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
  14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Well said Kim :tup:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

Thank you Thumper. :)
  16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    Solid post Kim. :tup: :yes:
  17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I think you are missing the OBVIOUS picture. If you see and know a tidal wave is coming - RUN. Move your ***.

Earthquakes are not seen and forecasted events like a Hurricane.

Earthquakes can happen in areas that were not even known seismic areas so California is not alone.

There is a difference.

You can build structures to withstand most earthquakes but not a flood of biblical proportions.

Think of the little dutch boy with his fingers in the dike and everyone tells him a wall of water is coming yet he does nothing.
  18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    First of all I find it very disturbing that a MNF thread has turned into a geo-socia-political discussion. I almost think this thread should be moved to a different forum at this point.

Second of all Trumpie... whoa! I've got mad respect for taking a hardline stance, but god damn hommie, that's pretty brutal! There is no denying that there were some people that probobly could have left but didn't. But I don't know that we're really taking all the intangibles into consideration. I mean I can almost kinda relate to the whole "going down with the ship" mentality that some people expressed. But anyone thinking nothing bad was really going to happen definatly demonstrated the highest form of ignorance. I will agree that any able body with access to news and transportation that chose to stay got what they deserved. My feeling, however, is that we're talking about an extrodinarily slim minority of the people who were actually effected by the tragedy.

Now for my ******* opinion. I think the fact that we're pooring tax dollars into fixing New Orleans rivals only the Iraq war in terms of frivolous government spending. We're going to spend billions of dollars to fix a city that will be destroyed again within a century or two and require trillions more to fix again (accounting for inflation). Turn the whole town into a freakin' lagoon and let the Mississippi flow free again!

PS... I wondering if anyone from the Saints message board (assuming they have functioning internet in NO) ever cruises this board for interesting info?
  19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    If you are dumb enough to purchase property behind a levee system which has failed catastrophically prior - I am not losing any sleep over stupidity.

It is the same as Californias who build their houses on the edge of a cliff. Stupid is as stupid does. These people are rolling the dice.

Most do not know the difference in a "cut lot" versus a "fill lot" for foundations and which is better when buying a home for earthquake safety. Common sense but do most people ask? Nope.

I am not doing cartwheels over anyone losing a home but if you are dumb enough to build in areas known to be catastrophically hazardous - too bad. You were warned.

This is why it is next to impossible to buy flood insurance. Any property I buy is well outside any 100 year flood plain study. This is just common sense again.

I know this will be turned into "but they didn't deserve the suffering" or "don't you feel sorry?".

There are government disaster loans and hopefully most of these people had insurance. If the insurance companies would not touch a residence, this should tell you something about the person(s) who are rolling the dice with their lives and property and life savings.
  20. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Can I just say WOW and leave it at that?
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I do not mean to sound callous or insensitive nor am I trying to stir the pot :no: but it is what it is and coincidentially why I get some dandruff riled up on occassion. :)
  22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. :icon_banana:
  23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    I was just waiting until we start talking about Drew's weak arm again.
  24. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    I'm still more interested in that thing on his face

:icon_rofl:
  25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The Legend of the "Moled One" will be sang by the camp fires. :icon_mrgreen:

AJ Smith at Dave & Busters got a mole placed on his cheek as part of the brees-a-mole-lay ceremonies at 7 am .... right before the Jets playoff game. Classic.
  26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    And they don't win more than 5 games as well. :icon_mrgreen:
  27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Football, what a concept. ;)

After the emotional high they were on during MNF, I see a letdown coming in Carolina.

I will be keeping an eye on that game to see how Reggie does for my FF Team.
  28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    There could be a let down, but Drew wont quit trying to win, it will not be a blow out like the Saints fans are used to.

I call for the Saints win.