1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Eddie Royal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    How about Brandon Lloyd? Dude was beast with Orton throwing him the ball, and could probably be a good replacement for VJ if we can't get him re-signed

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11276/eddie-royal

He had a monster 08, a garbage 09, a very respectable 10, and in 2011 he got Tebowed. I don't think he tailed off at all.

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    He was getting paid 900K. I know it was his rookie contract but a one year 1m-2m is all he's really worth after his downhill year last year.

But your right, I do think however he can do a Steve Smith (PHI) and get a 1 yr/4M contract. I don't think he'll get anything over 2 a year deal.

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    If VJ is gone, I think the possibility of signing Mario Williams becomes very likely. We do something else in the draft like draft Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright. Trade back and take Alshon Jeffery or Stephen Hill. Though I believe Hill's overrated he's just a speedster really.

If we do draft a WR I see us in the market for a slot guy. Someone like Royal or I won't even be surprised to see Seyi Ajirotutu again.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    The trouble with signing Williams and drafting a WR is that Williams will be done in 6 years (or less) and our WR will just be developing in 3. Signing Jackson and drafting a pass rusher gives us 4-6 years starting now with a top WR and (hopefully) a decent pass rush.

Also, drafting a WR in the first round is always a bad idea.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,892 / 48 / -26
    Randy is available. ;)

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    <<<<<<<<Vomits

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,892 / 48 / -26
    Moss workout with Saints “couldn’t have gone better”
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2012, 2:04 PM EST

The Randy Moss Unretirement Tour officially has begun, with the 35-year-old receiver blowing away the Saints.

A league source tells PFT the workout “couldn’t have gone better.” Moss got in and out of his breaks quickly, and he showed great football intelligence.

While we aren’t in the business of contradicting our sources, there technically is at least one way the session could have gone better. Moss could have run the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds. Instead, he didn’t run the 40 at all.

It’s unknown whether he wasn’t asked to do it, or whether he didn’t want to do it.

Either way, it was a success. FOX’s Jay Glazer says via Twitter that Moss “looked like the old Randy” while running 45 routes for the Saints. (Of course, depending upon which “old Randy” we’re talking about, that could be a good thing, or a bad thing.)

The Randy Moss Unretirement Tour continues next week, with at least two more visits.

T.O. says to save him some popcorn.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    The Saints are probably going to crush their division and be a 12+ win team this season. I think the cap on this Charger team is 11 wins, and will be (pleasantly) surprised were we to exceed that. If the team gets off to a slow start, or has trouble in the middle of the season, you have to wonder how fast Randy gets off track.

Moss is doing this for a ring, and nothing else. He doesn't need to get paid, he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, he just wants to play for a championship. I don't know where he's trying out, but I imagine that his other stops include SF and NE.

Even if he did for whatever reason want to play here, Smitty wouldn't offer him a contract that was competitive with NO anyway.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    A guy like Michael Floyd could contribute to this team right away. Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant.. theres been plenty of good first round WR's that have mad imapacts their first year and second year and so on.

Pierre Garcon is out there too.. There are options if we opt to sign Williams and draft and sign receivers..

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Why draft a WR when there's some good complimentary pieces out there like a Meachem or a Royal? Meachem especially would be cheap, has great deep skills and just needs the chance to play regularly which he never got in N.O. I'd rather take the first round pick and use it to fortify spots where the team is weak e.g. Safety, linebacker (even with Williams, I'd draft another OLB somewhere), maybe D-Line or Right Tackle.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Totally agree. We need to spend the vast majority of our picks this year, especially our early ones on the defense and OL. Rivers showed in 2010 that he can even make a bunch of scrubs look good. Get him a few decent WR's (Feel free to count Floyd and Brown if you want), and he will be just fine. He may not lead the league in passing, but he will be good enough that with a improved defense and a couple play makers, this team will have a much better chance at competing for more than a divisional title in a weak division

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Calvin Johnson, 48 receptions for 756 yds and 4 TDs. Selected 2nd overall
    AJ Green, 65, 1057 yds, 7 TDs. Selected 4th overall
    Dez Bryant 45, 561, 6 TDs. Selected 24th overall

Picking at 18, we're a lot more likely to see something along the lines of Dez Bryant production than Calvin Johnson or AJ Green production, and Dez Bryant style production would be a massive dropoff from what Jackson did last season, apparently in spite of being injured.

I'd rather have the team invest in a 60 snap a game, starting immediately OLB than a 5 reception a game (max) WR, who will have to learn to play in this offense. Also, drafting a WR in the first round is madness.

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    If Jackson walks, Meachem might be workable, but I don't think Royal is the type of guy you throw 60+ balls a year to in our offense. Either way, I think you hit our draft targets dead on.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Who gets 60 + rec a year in an offense like this anyways? Jackson was our "number 1" receiver and he scratched 60 rec.

I even think a guy like Tommy Streeter or Stephen Hill can come in here, as 2nd rounders, fully healthy, mini camp and all, and can help us significantly.

Greg Little was a 2nd round pick - 61 catches 709 yards and 2 td's.
    Torrey Smith was a 2nd round pick - 50 catches 841 yards and 7 td's.
    Titus Young was a 2nd round pick - 44 catches 583 yards and 4 td's.
    Denarius Moore was a 5th round pick - 33 catches 618 yards and 5 td's.

Both Little and Smith had inconsistent QB's and still produced as number 2's. Titus Young was a slot/3rd receiver in that Detroit offense and put up good numbers.

And say Nick Perry does fall to us, and we've signed Mario Williams, I still would draft him and possibly ship Shaun Phillips out for some good compensation in return.

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Yeah umm i dont see a guy who had 19 catches in 12 games last year getting 5 mil a year
    I see guys like meachem and Garcon getting that kind of money and they had 900 and 700 yards receptively last year while both having better size and similar speed

AT BEST i see him getting a 3 year 6mil contract, and thats best case scenario

• Like Like x 1
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    I'm really starting to fall in love with Tommy Streeter's play.. kid has ALL the tools, size, speed, leap, and hands.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    That's my point, he had no QB lately. Put him with 17 and we'll see 08 stats again I have no doubt.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't think anyone is going to base contracts for Denver's FAs off their receiving stats while the Tebotomy continues.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Royal could bring a Welker-type of dynamic to this offense with PR throwing him the ball. Not to mention his return skills and, as I previously said, the added benefit of taking him away from a division rival.

The statement about him not fitting our scheme is very short-sighted. There's absolutely no reason that he couldn't be easily incorporated into our offense. The underneath element that he would add with quick slants,skinny posts, WR screens, & drags across the middle would only help to open things up downfield.

Certainly an offensive genius like Norv could find a productive use for him. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I think Lloyd follows McDaniels to the ends of the earth, or more specifically to NE.

22. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    I don't mind Royal. I quite like Robert Meachem too, even Reggie Wayne would be a nice backup plan if we can't keep Vinnie.

Royal as a replacement for Crayton would be decent, I like Early Doucet too, maybe even Braylon Edwards is worth a look at, someone mentioned Steve Smith (PHI) above, or even dare i say it Hines Ward. Plenty of decent 2nd or 3rd WR types.

I wouldn't mind getting Daniel Fells the TE from Denver either, think he's a free agent.