1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Either AJ is really sneaky or we're in trouble

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Had a great time with the Seahawks staff. Incredible place and good people, heading to SD now to visit the Chargers ✈

Brad Smelley

So far along with Smelley our draft visits have been

Tavon Wilson
    D.J. Capbel
    Ronnell Lewis
    Ronnie Cameron
    Donavan Robinson

I know AJ most likely has His first 4 to 5 rounds lined up and is probably just looking for late gems but, we also know in previous drafts there is always that "Who?!?!?!" pick

would anyone really be surprised if AJ drafted all of these guys??? Passing over Perry, Smith, B.Moseley, B.Taylor type picks
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Exactly how many of the guys who we've actually had in for visits have we actually drafted in the first 2-3 rounds under AJ's tenure. From what I can recall it's not too many - we worked out Cameron Jordan last season and passed on him when we had the opportunity to select him. We went to visit Mathews, I don't believe he ever came in to visit us.

No one had any clue we had any remote interest in either Buster or English prior to the draft based off the visits. I think what this tends to sum up is that our scouting department goes A LOT off of what they've already seen and doesn't let things like the combine and pro days confirm or deny what they already suspected.
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I would not. I would be even less surprised is Perry, Smith, Moseley and Taylor did not light it up in the NFL. The draft is a crap shoot, it is gambling. Every year players who should be stars end up being average or less, and unheard of players end up being stars...
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Another silly thread.:sleep: First of all pre-draft visits are almost completely meaningless at this late point.

Second of all Smelley is not a bad player, he's a very intriguing H-back/TE prospect to replace Hester. He's a good blocker in space, he has very good hands, and I hear he's a very hard worker off the field.

This is AJ doing his due dilligence on 6th round - UDFA prospects.
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    This was all meant to be a little joke based on our draft visits, but y'all needs to lighten up:)

Maybe if AJ actually brought in players or went out and had contact with them he'd actually have a real feel for them instead of just picking them off word of mouth (Liuget for example) nothing against Corey but he even said he was shocked he had never talked to them before they selected him

Very true, who ever said Kerrigan, Watt, Green, A. Smith, E.Thomas, E. Berry, R. Mathews, J. Jones etc. would be good should be taken out back and shot. I know every year there is that high drafted guy who doesn't live up to his prospect, just as most of the people you DON'T see in the NFL are the late round guys , the guys who don't make the teams, ask Gartrell Johnson how his NFL career is doing, Crompton, or that TE Epps kid we drafted. Sure you find value in every round but more times out of not the lower the player is ranked the riskier they get just like the one in the 1st round, they're the ones you invest the most into so you gotta make it count.

See that's where you're wrong, this is the time where the game is played, find out where that player has visited, find out who wants them and then what round they might take them. I figure San Diego is going through all their notes finding out what players they want and who might be a snake and swoop that player before them
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If you're writing these threads as jokes then you really need to work on your tone, because the original post (and even some of your response quoted herein) comes off as someone bitter and looking for any excuse he can to shake his fist at AJ.

As to the quoted part... you do realize that by and large a player's agent is attached to his hip for all of these visits. Agents aren't exactly going to be all that willing and forthcoming with who they've visited, where that team has discussed taking the player (teams don't typically make promises like this to players anyway because there are too many rogue elements out there). And in the event you find an agent that is forthcoming with that, perhaps for one of the mid-round or under-heralded prospects, a simple phone call will suffice.

By this point with the Shrine, Senior Bowl, and Combine all passed (which we sent multiple coaches and scouts to), our staff has had the opportunity to meet with a good many guys. We just don't seem to be a team that places a ton of need to run players through our drills on our stopwatch; we appear to be more willing to trust the tape (that's, believe it or not, actually an extremely smart thing).

Finally, I really wish people would stop dropping the names of "Oh well we could have had..." prospects that we had no shot at getting in position to draft like Eric Berry and Ryan Kerrigan. but more to your point, the bust rate on 1st round picks is much higher than you're intimating (2-3/32 for a less than 10% bust rate), it's closer to 1 out of every 3 1st round picks fails to live up to his draft position (are some of them serviceable starters? maybe, but they certainly don't touch the ceilings you'd expect to have been the reason they were tabbed in the 1st to begin with).
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I never said "I wish we had these guys" if thats what you're hinting at, thats why I included Mathews on the list. I'm even one of the few on here (that I've read) who defends Cason saying we need him when most are ready to "Throw the babies out with the bath water".

I believe most of the players who are labeled "BUSTS" are more or less busts based on their own mind set and not the talent they have to become successful

Ryan Leaf may have been successful if not for his lifestyle around him. Peyton Manning said when he was drafted something along the lines of "I'm going to dedicate my life to becoming one of the best QB's in this league" Leaf "Im going to for party with my friends in Vegas"

Jamarcuss Russell same thing, could have been really good if he wasn't lazy, unmotivated in meetings and if he wasn't in Oakland with the mess they had around him, may have been really good. Look at DHB everyone was ready to label him as a bust until he actually got a somewhat good QB throwing him the ball.

Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Leinart let his celebrity take over and was too busy living in the limelight to actually try to put his talent on the field, once he did he got hurt and after that was afraid to take a hit. VY dude has talent but his head is a mess, at one point reports circled he was depressed and contemplating suicide, was ready to walk away from football, finally walked away from his team.

The other half is injuries, Buster, English to name a few. We may never know what these 2 could have been if they could stay on the field. Both have flashed promise when their time to shines were there but soon followed by injury.

Now I know you can't read tone on text, but please know this is not attacking anyone in any way. Not meant to be bitter in any way. I myself just like all of you, am a passionate Charger fan and care about my team. We all may make our AJ this and that comments which my original post was suppose to jokingly be a sarcastic "Typical AJ" post. I would never use the word "Sneaky" unless it was a joke
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    And if my silly threads do bore people next time I'll be sure to post about the Jets signing rugby players or Tebows likes and dis likes :tup:
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,379 / 36 / -16
    Ouch! No need to get sensitive...we're all friends here. :)

I admit, the "joke" did not have me rolling on the floor with laughter...
    I took it as semi-serious, so I'll offer a semi-serious response
    (that Jack can later complain about) ;)

I think AJ actually tries hard to NOT bring in guys he has his eye on,
    for fear of showing his hand...if he thinks he can get away with not
    bringing a guy in--or viewing him in a public forum--because he already
    feels comfortable with that pick, I think he'd rather keep his preferences
    on the dl...which is probably a pretty sensible strategy.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Nothing in the OP conveys humor. This could very well be because the entire post is in bold typeface.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I didn't intentionally mean to type in bold face it did it off a cut and paste, But I'll admit my 12 o'clock before I go to bed post wasn't as funny as I had planned:)