1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Chargers Special Teams Issues

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 12, 2010.

1. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    This is true.

The the NFL is fluid. I cannot imagine that the Chargers STs can be this abysmally bad over the course of the season, but I also think we have seen enough to understand that it most likely will not be GOOD this year either. Now, if the defense and offense continue to play as they are now (especially the offense), I can see even an improvement to simply not historically bad as enough to win several games.

However, I think the defense is a little softer than the rather meaningless stats show so far, but the offense may even be better than the stats currently show. I believe that both are good enough that an adequate special teams unit and better care for the football will make this team a contender until the end.

By the same token, the current pattern will leave it in the basement most of, if not the whole, year.

Before Mateo and the rest of the decepticons freak out ane pretend like I am preaching that the Chiefs are worldbeaters, I have done a similar breakdown for my team. The gist of it is that IF our defense can come close to being an elite level defense (which it has shown flashes of already), we can overcome below average offense. If our offense is HISTORICALLY bad (which it has not been so far), even the defense and special teams wount save us. If our Defense is just one of the better Ds in the game, we will need a little more offensive production from the Offense and continued dominance in special teams (by special teams I am not talking just return yardage of course).

2. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Oh, but Matty did say it was easy. He also has said in multiple threads here that the Chargers have lost not because of paying worse than their opposition, but because of rain/easily fixable special teams mistakes/refs/insert excuse of the week here.

Only one? /golfclap. Congratulations lol.

Last I checked that still falls under the category of special teams disaster

If it's so easy, why don't they, you know...DO it once in a while? lol. Are you saying the chargers do not have talent? Perhaps special teams should have been addressed in the off season? Just a thought.

This one gets extra points for cramming both non performance-supported arrogance AND multiple excuses into one post! That takes skill.

Again, why have they not been fixed if they are more fixable? Our offense put up 31 points on a highly rated defense. Sure it took a step back against the Colts, but its shown far more improvement than the Chargers Special Teams. Moreover, other teams have seen more improvement in either their defenses or offenses while the chargers STs have remained historically awful. Perhaps STs aren't as simple as you seem to think?

I added this one in just because it makes me chuckle.

You're right, that Peyton Manning clown is a bum lol. I can't believe we didn't crush him at home like EVERYone else does.

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I think we all can agree that the Chargers ST play has STUNK this season in their 3 losses.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,210 / 37 / -21
    Sucking at special teams is like sucking at baserunning in baseball, it might cost you a game or two but you can't count on mistakes like that to cost you an entire season. Espescially when all the other teams in the division have much bigger issues.

5. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    You heard it here first Bolts fans. There is nothing to worry about. Matty says STs will only cost you "a game or two." Guess you already got those out of your system, so your problems are SOLVED!

Who needs special teams anyway!? They're totally overrated...like...baserunning in baseball.

Oh man, Matty, you are a funny kid. I am glad you're here :)

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    IF

If seems to be the word of the week for right now.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    And IF I was the manager of that team, those that make those errors would be held accountable IF they continue to make them. IF they learn from them then we move on.

8. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Still think all the teams in the division have "MUCH BIGGER" issues than the Chargers, Matty? What is your excuse this week?