1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Melvin Ingram says he's out vs. Chiefs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,757 / 39 / -8
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/1988/melvin-ingram-says-hes-out-vs-chiefs

SAN DIEGO -- Outside linebacker Melvin Ingram said he had a good week of practice, but will not be added to his team’s active roster for the San Diego Chargers" target="_blank">San Diego Chargers' game at Kansas City.

“I’m not playing this week,” Ingram said. “They’ve been through a lot more stuff than I have. I’ve just been through rehab, working out and conditioning stuff. But they’ve been through training camp and almost three-fourths of a season. So I just need to work on everything, and I’m just trying to get better every day.”

Ingram remains on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, but practiced for the first time this week, moving fluidly and showing some explosion through individual drills during the early portions of practice.

However, Ingram still is a little over six months out from having surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. The Chargers have until Dec. 10 to add Ingram to the active roster, or place him on the reserve PUP list for the remainder of the regular season.

“Until you practice enough and do certain things, you’re not going to be in football shape,” San Diego coach Mike McCoy said. “You’ve got to get out there and put the pads on, and do things a certain way before you get in football shape. He’s worked extremely hard, and he’s in good shape right now.”

McCoy on if Ingram will play this season: “I think that he’s got a very good chance. But it’s also something where we’ve got to each day pick it up for him, and see how his knee responds. He’s done a great job with it these last three days. So we’ll take it week by week and see how he feels.”

Outside linebacker Jarret Johnson (hand), left tackle King Dunlap (neck) and receiver Eddie Royal (toe) did not practice on Friday. Dunlap is listed as out. Johnson is doubtful, and Royal is questionable.

McCoy said that Johnson played with a similar hand injury while with the Ravens. Johnson's left hand is in a soft cast after having surgery to fix the issue on Monday. Johnson's already missed three games this season due to a lingering hamstring issue.

“I’m always hopeful, yeah,” said Johnson, when asked about the prospect of playing this week. “Any injury slows you down and limits you, but everybody’s dealing with stuff, especially at this point in the season.

“This is a very important game for us and everybody needs to carry their weight. I’ve struggled with that this year with all my injuries. That’s not something new, but that’s something you’ve got to deal with.”

San Diego’s nickel cornerback Johnny Patrick (concussion) was cleared to practice on Friday after sitting out most of the week, and was a full participant. Patrick is questionable for Sunday’s game.

With Johnson and Ingram likely out, the Chargers likely will go with Thomas Keiser andTourek Williams at outside linebacker, with Reggie Walker and Adrian Robinson serving as backups.

Center Nick Hardwick (neck), receiver Vincent Brown (shoulder), safety Jahleel Addae(ankle), receiver Keenan Allen (knee), running back Ryan Mathews (hamstring), defensive end Lawrence Guy (toe) and linebacker Manti Te'o (elbow) were full participants and are probable.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,757 / 39 / -8
    Is anyone as non-shocked as I?

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 48 / -26
    Maybe Jack. ;)

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +886 / 5 / -0
    He's on my fantasy IR squad, so I'm good with it...

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Honestly... good. We're a longshot at best to make the playoffs. And a long-shot isn't worth rushing him back and risking him re-injuring himself (be it the ACL or another lower-body injury resulting from him being overly cautious trying to protect the healed knee).

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Agree about not rushing him back. But if/when he's cleared hell yes - get him some reps.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,757 / 39 / -8
    I am 50/50. I want to see him in the heat of the game, but I want him to be 100%....

8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I want him fully healthy first of course. But he needs game reps. Didn't get many last year either so he's way behind where we need him to be.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,757 / 39 / -8
    True, I am not suggesting you want him to rush back early. Just the history of the NFL, coaches seem to, at times, be more concerned about playing players than protecting their longevity.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That's because of sad inverse curve (of sorts) that exists wherein the coaches are trying to protect their own longevity.

• Agree Agree x 1