1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN: Te'o one of the NFLs most disliked players

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,824 / 39 / -8
    http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/1176/teo-calls-survey-a-bunch-of-nonsense

SAN DIEGO -- Rookie linebacker Manti Te'o says he is not concerned with the result of a poll that places him among the top five disliked players in the NFL.

“All that stuff doesn’t matter to me,” Te’o said. “If it does matter to me, then that’s my fault.”

Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick was voted the most disliked player in the NFL, according to a survey of the public taken by E-Poll Market Research and released Monday by Forbes.com.

Over half of the 1,100 people surveyed (53 percent) said they disliked Vick, even though the quarterback hasn’t had any transgressions since being released from prison in May 2009 following a 19-month sentence for his part in a dogfighting ring.

Te’o was second, as 48 percent of respondents said they disliked the former Notre Dame star whose story of a deceased girlfriend turned out to be fake, even though no evidence has been presented to suggest that he was in on the hoax.

“For me, I know that whoever took those polls, if they knew who I am they wouldn’t say that stuff,” Te’o said. “The people who know me, they know what I’m about. And that type of stuff, it’s just a bunch of nonsense to stir up things.

“For me, I’m just going to continue to do what I do. And the people who know me, they know me for who I am. They know what it’s all about.”

Chargers outside linebacker Thomas Keiser was surprised to hear his teammate’s name was on the list.

“I don’t know why,” Keiser said. “He’s a nice guy. I’ve never had any issues with Manti. But I guess -- I don’t know if polarizing is the right word, because he’s not causing that much drama personally -- but obviously when he was at college there were things brought up in the media.

“And plus he played for Notre Dame, which is one of the most liked or disliked teams in the nation. So, I don’t think he’s that bad of a guy. He definitely doesn’t deserve to be No. 2 on the disliked (list).”

2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    I can't explain exactly why, but I really can't stand Joe Flacco. I've always thought of him as overrated, actually the luckiest man in America, capitalizing on a Denver secondary mistake and riding it all the way to a 120m contract.

He'd be #1 on my list. To be honest, I just view Te'o as a naive kid who was probably quite embarrassed about what happened to him and tried to lie to hide his embarrassment.

I imagine a lot of us on here probably would put Jay Cutler among our most disliked lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Cutler definitely tops my list of hated players. Part of me really hopes that Trestman drops him after this season (its a contract year) so that I can go back to liking the Bears.

As for Manti, people probably dislike him because of all the hoopla that girlfriend hoax caused earlier last year. The mainstream media gave viewers a very concentrated dosage of that story last year and people got tired of hearing about it.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,824 / 39 / -8
    You are probably correct... But hated more that Cutler, or the other arse hats in the NFL?

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    It's just weird to me, if Manti played for any other team I wouldn't even spare a thought on him, much less decide that I didn't like him. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +901 / 5 / -0
    Don't forget She-Li... Should be #1 on every Chargers fan hate list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Will Rogers said:
    "I would much rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it."

I'd much rather be on the "disliked" list for gullibly believing in a fake girl, than killing dogs.

Te'o is only on the list because of that silly catfishing thing...and only years of solid
    play will make that fade in the public's mind...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Cutler
    ShEli
    Clay Matthews
    Finnegan
    Cromartie
    And all Oakland Raiders alive or deceased.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    In no particular order

Eli Manning
    Jay Cutler
    Ndamakon Suh (refuse to say his name right lol)
    Antonio Cromartie
    Tom Brady
    Any current and former Raiders

And this is what happens when a financial magazine tries to pretend it's a sports magazine and asks a few financial professionals who probably haven't watched a game in three years

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Tim Tebow, a tartuffe if there ever was one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    I think I dislike the Tebow topic, and his apologists, more than the person himself.

12. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Well, since the topic is the most disliked players in the league, he came to mind. His supporters are nearly as nauseating as he is. On that we can agree.

Brandon Meriweather is pretty high on my hate dislike list, too.

(Edited to use a milder adjective. This is just sport, after all. ;))

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  13. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    Why Cromartie? Did he burn a bridge or two on his way out of San Diego?

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    I truly dislike Eli Manning both as a quarterback and a person but on a positive note the Giants are 1-6 woooo!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    There's excuses for hate but then there's the underlying reasons haters won't admit to even if they are aware of them being there.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Cromartie's time in One Direction?
    Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 10.05.13 PM.png
    (All kidding aside, I had a few opportunities to chat with Antonio,
    and found him very likable...if a little slow...I didn't think Cason
    was proven yet, so I opposed AJ letting AC go) AC didn't really want
    to hit anyone, but then, neither did Deion...and he's in the HoF.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +413 / 8 / -0
    As a person, I only hate Vick, if he were to have a career ending injury next game I´d be happy about that.

As players, I "hate" (in quotation marks becuase it´s only football) both Mannings the most

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    I can't say that I hate anyone in the league.
    I do "dislike" the following though (players/coaches/front office):

AFC--
    Tom Brady
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Rex Ryan
    Peyton Manning
    All Oakland Raiders past/present/future

NFC--
    Eli Manning
    Jay Cutler
    Jeff Fisher
    Jim Harbaugh

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +901 / 5 / -0
    I think that ESPN creating a poll to find out who fans hate the most makes about as much sense as putting braille lettering on a drive-thru ATM .

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    I think Forbes Magazine was actually behind this 'genius' poll...
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2013/10/21/the-nfls-most-disliked-players-2/

[ADDED LATER]

Remember, all this talk about football fans & ESPN, etc., isn't really germane to this poll.

Forbes is a financial magazine, and I think they were looking more at brand awareness
    and likability (what Madison Avenue calls "E-Scores"). Basically, Forbes' angle was (in my words)
    "which celebrity brands should you think twice before affiliating yourself with, since a
    sizable portion of the public has a negative view of them?"

If it had been an ESPN poll of NFL fans, the results almost certainly would have looked very different. Hence this quote from the Forbes article:

"...while Vick scores well with hardcore NFL fans, casual fans
    still identify him mostly with the legal woes of a few years ago."

(that's why Vick was "worst" in this survey...while football fans largely think of him as a guy who
    can still scramble at his age, the general public thinks of him more as "the dog fighting guy")

p.p.s. I first heard the "list" over the radio, and kept waiting to hear Rivers' name...
    plenty of NFL fans can't stand our boy Philip. But that's because--at the time--I didn't know
    the origin/point of the poll...Te'o, Vick etc., are infamous for stuff off the field,
    widely known to the general public...

I'm betting most of the U.S.'s "soccer moms" have never even heard of PR.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  21. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    ESPN readers would likely list any west coast team high on their "hate" list, so there's that to consider too.

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Seems like a small sample size to get a feel for what "fans" feel.

For me - football fandom-wise

All Raiders (except Marcus Allen)
    All Donks
    All the 49er's from 1994

oh, and Norv

:bolt:

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    Why all the hate in this thread, isn't there already enough in the world to go around?????? Damn, they're only football players.:confused:

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,824 / 39 / -8
    So if we did a poll of the most hated poster here, think I could win? Can I campaign without being banned? ;)

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 11 / -0
    underlying reasons? please do tell - what are these underlying reasons?

I can tell you why I "hate" him. It's simple. Because of the ole~

I was a staunch apologist of Cro until that point, but in football terms that bullshit was unforgivable.

As a side note, imo there's a big difference between "football hate" or "sports hate" and true hatred. I hate the Raiders, hate their fans, etc... but as a human being I don't truly have hatred for them or wish anyone harm. Like when they had 3 players get lost off the coast after their boat sank and 2 died - yeah I wasn't celebrating that - it was a tragedy. Their QB gets sacked? I'll be dancing around and celebrating his "getting destroyed".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Syd, like virtually all Charger fans, I share your distain for the olé. (Looks so much nicer, though, with the accent, yes?)

But do you really think that, overall, the Chargers have been better off having let Cro go?
    Has the average corner play, in San Diego since 2010 been better than what AC has done in NY?
    I think even his reduced (10) INT count would look good here.

As I said in an earlier post, I opposed AJ unloading Cro, because I didn't think we had anyone better
    (an argument that still looks decent, to me, 3.5 seasons later)...and I think Deion is the AC prototype:
    not as much hitting as fans want, but makes up for it in sheer speed and athleticism...
    I'll never forget watching AC pick Peyton 3 times, leading an amazing 6 INT Charger night. :)

The main thing that makes me question my initial negative reaction to letting Cro go,
    is that I think that occasionally some guys need a change of scenery to get re-focused...
    and maybe without that big jolt, Cro wouldn't have been as good here, as he's been in NY.

On average, though, I'd say he's played much better over 3+ seasons than what we've had instead. Thoughts?

27. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 11 / -0
    I NEVER want someone on my team who gives up like that. NEVER. He quit on this team and IIRC had some conflict with other players in that locker room - not a good combo. I was happy to see him go. He also made other serious bone-headed plays (like vs the Colts when Peyton quick-snapped and he was caught staring at the stars :p) the ole was just the icing on a ****-filled cake imo. I'm glad he wasn't given any more chances - he didn't fit here anymore and it was time to cut ties.

AJ being unable (or unwilling) to find a suitable replacement isn't a good enough argument to have kept the guy imo.

I'm interested to see how TT handles the position's needs in the next few seasons and based on what he's been able to do so far, with limited resources, I'm not too terribly worried about it.

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    I totally understand your feelings on this, but I think we have a fundamental difference of perspective
    on the "replacement" part. For me, you only get rid of a guy to upgrade a position
    (unless the guy is a known as a horrible cancer in the locker room...which I don't believe was the case with AC) .
    For me, virtually any time you deal a guy and end up worse off, that's pretty much a bad move by definition.
    My guess is that yours is the prevalent view among Charger fans, though, but I didn't care for it in 2010
    and I still don't like it. A team that lost so much talent in a short time
    (LT, Merriman, Jammer, Sproles, VJ, Dielman, etc.) didn't have the luxury, in my opinion,

of unloading a guy as gifted and talented as AC. Again, I understand and respect your view...
    but I still think the Chargers would've been better since 2010 with AC than without him.

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 11 / -0
    I agree with you in principle on not just cutting people without a proper replacement but I also believe there's exceptions to every rule and he was certainly one of them. Once a guy shows he's willing to pull that kind of crap, he's going to do it again, his talent does us no good if he's not willing to tackle :p

I know what you mean about us losing a lot of talent seemingly all at once but Cro was gone before those other guys (only Cro and LT left in March 2010, everyone else was in subsequent seasons), it's not like we lost all of them and tossed Cro aside on a whim ya know? We also got a 3rd round pick for the guy. For me what it comes down to is that keeping Cro wouldn't have helped make this team better in the past couple of years - the problems we have had run much deeper than a single primadonna cornerback who was (and still is) afraid of contact.

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Well, we probably will just have to agree to disagree, re. the "principle." Overall, I think AC
    (including the "crap") was a plus. I know that some of those guys left after Cro, but I was mostly
    speaking from the "3.5 years later" perspective on that...though, with some of those guys--and others--
    the handwriting was on the wall. We lost a LOT of talent between 2009 and now.

You did make an excellent point: I totally forgot about that 3rd round pick, and was not
    considering it in the equation. You can do a lot with an intelligently chosen 3rd round pick.
    Okay, that makes me feel a bit better... :cool: