1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

F O O D ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chispa, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Great Italian food restaurant in San Francisco: Mona Lisa in North Beach.

Having my son for such long stretches while my wife travels for work has made me quite creative in the kitchen. :lol: I'll post my next creation when it happens.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Great idea, Chippie!! :tup: :icon_toast:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :icon_eek:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :icon_eek:

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    I have 28 hours of the original japanese Iron Chef on tape. I freekin loved that show! the new one is weak but still watchable.

My fave restaraunt http://www.edwards-steakhouse.com/
    good food & really good prices. they decorate for all of the holidays and I mean every square inch.

I'll post my recipe for grilled asparagus this weekend

man now I really want some scallops:drool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    I love Japanese food, grilled asparagus and scallops...almost anything seafood. I would not willingly eat a bunny or a beet (or a pea) under any foreseeable circumstance. :icon_eek:

I like food, try not to eat too much, don't really like cooking but do it if I have to...baking sometimes is fun though...I love banana bread if it really turns out good...

Happy Easter weekend everybody...have fun and be safe. I am eating one (or two) Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs since I gave up candy/chocolate/goodies for Lent...2.5 more days. But the Easter Bunny is safe in my house :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 2
  7. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Well i don't know about all of you but summer time is on it's way here. After having a miserable 5 months of winter I can't wait to grill. I know San Diego is nice all the time (I really miss it). But if anyone has any good grilling recipes i would live to see them. The carne asada and fish tacos are not that good here so any of those would be great.

PS here is a great recipe for some excellent Blue cheese burgers if anyone wants to try. Go easy on the jalapeƱos if you don't like hotness.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jalapeno-Blue-Cheese-Burgers/Detail.aspx

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLash

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    sure:tup:

bring a pot of water to a rolling boil

make a marinade with olive oil, garlic salt, pepper, minced garlic,
    minced fresh cilantro, lemon pepper, whatever you like.

break your asparagus to length

parboil your asparagus for about 3-4 minutes depending on size

blanch in ice water and put on paper towels to dry.

open your package of bacon (gotta be real bacon, turkey bacon
    experiment failed) and slice them in half

brush asparagus spears with marineade and wrap with the bacon along the shaft. take aluminum foil and wrap the tips of the spears or they will burn

if you have one of those cage things that holds stuff from both sides for grilling thats ideal but if not just be careful

use a semi-low flame if you grill w/ gas, I use charcoal and do this after I've grilled fish or chicken and the coals have burnt down some.brush on any leftover marinade, it'll help get the bacon going

it's mostly a judgement call as to when it's done, but shouldn't be more than a few minutes each side. basically when the bacon looks like you would want to eat it.

it's kind of a pain but usually pretty tasty. its adapted from something I saw Morimoto make once.

Have a great party!:icon_party::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    First You Get Some Brownie Mix, Then Some Vegetable Oil, Then A Fat Bag Of......:icon_high:

Ah Nevermind....
    [​IMG]

11. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Don't you have to do something to the vegetable oil... when you use it to make "special" brownies?

Ya, I need the recipe... I'd like to make some weed brownies. :nana_rasta:

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0

Great call. I went to Mona Lisa's my list trip to Frisco. The Italian candy was awesome. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    That's the best way to do it. Heat the vegetable at medium heat and place any herbs whose properties you want infused into the oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, the oil will turn green. Cool the vegetable oil and add to the brownie mix as instructed. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. I'll try that tomorrow. I picked up a couple of filets and asparagus for tomorrow night.

The chilean sea bass with a avocado/cilantro butter with roasted brussel sprouts rocked tonight. Might have been the best sea bass I have ever had. :abq2::abq1::abq2:

Do they have Fresh Markets in California?

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheLash

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    yours sounds awesome as well. I love sea bass.

is Fresh a chain? if so I don't think so.

however get this. I live in a pretty aisian neighborhood, and a live fish market just opened.:icon_eek:
    it's full of giant aquarium tanks full of about evry kind of fish and shellfish you can imagine. you can get it in a bag of water to go, or have it killed and filleted there. I haven't worked up the nerve yet.

16. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hands down, the best restaurants I've ate at:

7th straight year for Valentine's day - Saddle Peak Lodge in Calabasas, CA [very highly rated by Zagat] Game, Game and more game, best Elk I've chowed down to!

Fourseasons, Maui, Wailea, Breakfast in room, terrific, Wolfgang Puck's and the Fourseason own restaurant fcing the ocean at sunset, brings a tear to my eye. [unfortunately I don't recall the name of the place]

Stan :rivers17:

• Like Like x 1
  17. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    The Fresh Market

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/

:tup:

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    No, we don't. :no:

19. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    That is a great looking chain store.

For fresh seafood in San Diego, I like Point Loma Seafood.

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
  21. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    No Bullshit...I Love You Guys....This Thread Is Gonna Earn Me SOOOOO Many Points With My Chick....:yes:.....Ah....The Power Of The Internet...[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. DefenseWins

DefenseWins New Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 0 / -0
    They do have some nice cuts of meat, fresh fish, and great fresh veggies - but are a tad high on prices for some things. Good place to go when you want some goodies for a special dinner.

I personally don't like lamb - my great-grandmother use to fix it and my tastebuds always went :crying:... but the seasonings in the recipe posted from the local Fresh Market sounds really good. If anyone likes eating poor wittle lambchop[​IMG]

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="460"> <tbody><tr><td class="deptbody" align="left">Ingredients:</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodytext" align="left">
    • <table cellpagging="0" border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>4 lamb chops </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>1/4 cup Dijon mustard </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>2 garlic clove, finely chopped </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td> all purpose flour, for dredging </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>2 tablespoons TFM Olive Oil </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>1 cup Rex Goliath Chardonnay </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>4 cups chicken stock </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>1 1/2 cups Rice Select Original Orzo </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>3 green onions, minced using both white and green parts </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td>1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">

• </td><td> salt and pepper, to taste </td></tr></tbody></table>
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="rightColumnLinkRed" align="left">Preparation:</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodytext" align="left">Spread lamb chops with Dijon mustard and sprinkle evenly with rosemary and garlic. Dredge chops in flour and shake off excess. Heat olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Add chops and cook until browned on both sides. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn chops over then deglaze skillet by adding Rex Goliath Chardonnay and scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook to desired degree of doneness (see chart below). Remove chops from skillet and keep warm.
    To the same pan, add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add Rice Select Orzo and cover with a lid. Cook for 8 minutes and drain off excess chicken stock. Fluff Orzo and let cool. Just before serving, stir in green onions, mint and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve Dijon Rosemary Lamb Chops over top Green Onion Mint Orzo.
    </td></tr></tbody> </table>

23. DefenseWins

DefenseWins New Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 0 / -0
    Nooooooo[​IMG] you have to let the poor Easter Bunny lose so he can go and deliver all those Bunny Eggs:yes: Speaking of which... you won't eat a bunny, but you'll munch on the poor wabbit's eggs?:icon_huh:

Hope you have a great Easter too - and everybody!!!

[​IMG]

No candy for me... just thanks.

24. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0

I love to eat little lambs. Thanks DW. :tup:

25. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Hi EsDee, when we aren't RV Camping somewhere in SoCal - more often than not I am either grilling something out back, cooking in dutch ovens with coals, (or both), at least one day each weekend. We usually invite some of the relatives and friends over to share "whatever old Dave is burning this week". ;) Having resurrected our old propane grill several times with parts from Home Depot, we just up-graded it to a new medium-priced Char-broil unit about 10 days ago. (Warning - associated "BBQ assembly language" would make a Navy Chief blush).

Nosing around their (Char-broil) web site, I found a recipe for carne asada tacos that I'll be trying out real soon. Of course, I have to mess with the recipe in a couple of spots... First, I'll lay out the flank steak, cover it with plastic and pound it a bit with a flat iron. (Just like you would do with a London Broil). THEN proceed with the marinade. After the meat is done to your liking, I would recommend letting it set about 10 minutes (or at least 5 if you can't stand it) then cut it into strips across the grain of the meat. For tacos I like to then dice the meat strips into chunks about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. Otherwise, I'll try going along with their recipe. :D

Want to make some killer beef fajitas instead? Do the same thing with the flank steak, but cut the strips to about 3 inches long - mix with sauteed onion and bell pepper - place mixture on a pre-heated (I like iron) fajita "plate" (I use these round griddles), top with a grilled green onion and possibly a pair of 1/4 slices of fresh tomato on each side. Serve with flour tortillas, refried beans and possibly some Spanish fried rice. (Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is!). :tup:

~~~

I am DYING to try TheLash's grilled asparagus - that is GOING to happen real darn soon! THANK YOU!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

"Want to make some killer beef fajitas instead? Do the same thing with the flank steak, but cut the strips to about 3 inches long - mix with sauteed onion and bell pepper - place mixture on a pre-heated (I like iron) fajita "plate" (I use these round griddles), top with a grilled green onion and possibly a pair of 1/4 slices of fresh tomato on each side. Serve with flour tortillas, refried beans and possibly some Spanish fried rice. (Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is!). "

The power of beef. I may steal this Dave! What do you marinade the fajitas in?

Stan :rivers17: