1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

F O O D ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chispa, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    I am eating a cold bean burrito from Taco Bell, and some chicken alfredo from Olive Garden, whilst hung over.

After that, I will take a dump that will smell up my house as well as my next door neighbor's.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    You nasty boy!!! :icon_tease:

Had country ham & fried eggs instead of juevos rancheros. Maybe next week .....
  3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    making the wife breakfast in bed for her birthday.

turkey bacon, eggs over hard, toast juice & tea.

oh and flowers from the boy:flowers:
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Don't post that out loud, Mr. Nice Guy!!! :icon_tease: :tup:
  5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +961 / 2 / -2
    Saw this one way late last night, (actually early this morning), from Bobby Flay on Food Network. Gotta give it a try - making a green chili sauce from grilled poblanos and onions with a little honey and spices just sounded GREAT to me!

Green Chile Cheeseburgers
  6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Flay would be working at McD's if it weren't for chili peppers. :lol:

He bugs me ever since he stood on the cutting board after his original "Iron Chef" appearance in Japan. They were so insulted they could barely shake his hand. Cutting boards are SACRED there, and Flay moon walked across his. :lol:
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    http://www.burgerlounge.com/

For those San Diegans looking for another good burger, i've been addicted to this place, as has my girlfriend, for a few months. It is so damn good, the salad's awesome, the onion rings are great. They also have teh best turkey burger I've ever tasted, highly recommended. And the servers are all big charger fans! :tup:
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    As good as Hodad's?? :icon_shrug:
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Hodad's and Burger Lounge are different

Hodad's has more variety, has bigger burgers and is just funkier
    Burger Lounge is more of an 'upscale diner' type place

I love them both, just depends on hte mood. And I can get good caesars at burger lounge but they don't have bacoin cheeseburgers or as big onion rings as does Hodads
  10. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +961 / 2 / -2
    Slow cooked a London Broil on the grill today "brisket style" using a Char-broil "O-2 Smoker Box" with soaked mesquite chips in it and offset heat, (only the burner under the box was on - set to medium heat). Worked great but there really isn't enough difference between that and putting them in aluminum foil and poking holes in it to justify buying a smoker box IMO. (The meat turned out great BTW).

Speaking of Aluminum foil I FINALLY tried the trick of cleaning the grill by placing a layer of aluminum foil over the grill and turning all (4) burners on high for about 10 minutes. Was amazed at the result - all of the residue had turned into a fine white ash that could easily be brushed off with the wire brush. No extended scraping and scrubbing for me in the future. ;)
  11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Hitler never planned to invade America or Asia plus the Russians and Germans would have just destroyed each other without allied infiltration from the west and southwest. What do we know about Huevos? What do you know about the history of the third reich?
  12. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Hey Ant!
    I have eaten at the Burger Lounge in La Jolla a couple of times. Awesome burgers.....:yes:
    I seriously HATE 1000 Island Dressing tho....I just ask them not to get any of it anywhere near my food. Works out great!:icon_banana:
  13. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave!
    I have never heard of the Aluminum foil trick! I will be trying that for sure.....Thanks!:yes:
  14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Its more upscale burgers, but hey a turkey burger and a salad, we got a somewhat healthy dinner :-p. But yeah that thousand island dressing does make it very messy, its still good. And besides i've been eating that stuff since i was a kid :-p
  15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Got any good ant recipes?

[​IMG]
  16. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Next time I will try the turkey burger!:yes:
    What IS 1000 Island Dressing anyway? Tastes to me like catsup and mayo mixed together with sweet pickles! Sort of like that "Secret Sauce" crap on JIB burgers..........:no::tdown::no:
  17. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +961 / 2 / -2
    According to Wikipedia you got most of it:

Thousand Island dressing is a salad dressing (a variant of Russian dressing), commonly made of mayonnaise, ketchup, and a mixture of finely chopped vegetables, most often pickles, onions, bell peppers, and/or green olives; chopped hard-boiled egg is also common. Essentially, it is a mixture of ketchup and tartar sauce.
    The dressing is used both in salads and as a sauce on sandwiches, especially in fast-food restaurants. It tastes (and appears to be) very similar to fry sauce (called burger sauce in the UK), a 'simpler' version of thousand island dressing commonly used in fast food outlets. Fry sauce is made from similar ingredients: generally tomato ketchup and mayonnaise.
    In many areas of Europe, it is known as "American Dressing."

For many years I was comfortable with Catalina dressing, but now lean toward Ranch dressing most of the time.

We use cheap Italian Dressing as a marinade for beef - occasionally I'll add some lemon or lime juice to it if handy... Works for me! :)
  18. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Here is a recipe I found in the May 26, 2008 Sports Illustrated mag. I thought maybe Chispa might like this.
    RANCH STEAKS WITH CITRUS-JALAPENO MOJO
    Total prep and cooking time: 40 minutes
    Yield: 4 Servings

4 beef shoulder center steaks (ranch steak), cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
    Black Pepper
    Salt

Citrus-Jalapeno Mojo:
    3 cups bottled fresh-squeezed orange juice
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
    1 small jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    Salt and black pepper

1. To prepare Citrus-Jalapeno Mojo, combine all mojo ingredients except salt and pepper in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups. Strain and discard solids. Season sauce with salt and pepper, as desired. Set aside.
    2. Meanwhile season beef steaks with black pepper, as desired. Place on grill over medium, ash covered coals. Grill covered, 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.
    3. Carve steaks into thin slices. Season with salt. Drizzle with some citrus-jalapeno mojo. Serve with remaining sauce.

Four beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 6 ounces each) may be substituted. Grill tenderloin steaks, uncovered, 13-15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
  19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    americans eat too much
  20. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to add this to my last post but it wouldn't let me!

I have a Weber gas grill and pretty much have my timing down pat for medium rare meat. I would probably burn the livin chit out of the meat on a charcoal grill. Also, I would go with the filet cuz' I don't think I have ever seen a Ranch Steak!:lol:
  21. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave!
    I detest ketchup, tartar sauce and sweet pickles. Guess that is why 1000 Island dressing turns my tummy. I am a Ranch, Bleu Cheese or Greek Vinaigrette kinda gal!:yes:
  22. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I just had fries with tons of ketchup. Here in Canada we use real sugar while in the states ketchup has glucose frucose crap in it :yes: Everyone knows the ketchup here is 1000 times better :icon_banana:
  23. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    I was way turned off by ketchup after visiting the Del Monte factory back when I was a kid. The stench was unbelievable. Don't know if it was sugar, glucose frucose crap or what was creating that smell!:no::no::no: I prefer my fries with lots of malt vinegar and tons of sea salt!:yes:
  24. TheLash

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    I really like a mix of 1/2 ketchup & 1/2 HP sauce
  25. TheLash

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    I still have that (& 48 other episodes) on tape. one season food network did this live triva game/chatroom thingy during american IC and one guy used to always log on as FlayLovestehCock:icon_rofl:

I hate Flay too Chen Kenichi Rules:icon_banana:
  26. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    vinegar is good too :yes:

we had this swiss restaurant back in the day and they made the best fries in the world. they used yukon gold potatoes and cooked them in peanut oil and lightly salted them. peanut oil is the best for cooking fries and yukon gold potatoes make for outstanding fries. the smell of these fries alone was enough to get me to salivate all over myself :lama they used to cook each batch fresh and they would be served hot as hell with a crispy exterior and very soft interior but not to the point that they were like mashed potatoes inside or anything. just cooked to perfection.
  27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Yukon Gold is a cultivar of potato closely akin to the Yellow Finn. Unlike the Yellow Finn, Yukon Golds are larger, with golden, buttery-tasting waxy flesh.

[​IMG]

:yes:
  28. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    NOOOO ketchup! That stuff is nasty!:lol:
  29. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    HP Sauce?