1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Final Mock Drafts of 2014

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, May 2, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Less than a week away, I think it's time. Lets hear it people.

25: OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, 6'3 252 - I'm going to assume both Fuller and Verrett will be gone, and stick with my BT Mock Draft guy. I think the Chargers are definitely intrigued by his blend of speed, power and intensity, hence the 2 formal meetings they've had with him. His immediate return will be as 3rd down pass rusher, and really I don't think he's poor run defender either. Less of a 1 trick pony than Dee Ford, and more upside as a pure pass rusher than Kyle Van Noy.

57: WR Donte Moncrief, 6'2 221 - I've been on this guys bandwagon a while now, he has #1 receiver upside in the way that Alshon Jeffrey and Anquan Boldin did coming out (also mid 2nd round picks). He explodes off the line, has the size and strength to box out receivers, and does a great job fighting for the ball in the air. He's also a physical run blocker, and very tough to bring down after the catch. Production suffered due to QB play. Needs to work on route running to become a complete player.

89: CB Rashaad Reynolds, 5'1o 190: I'm no longer confident he's here at this point. Known for his scheme versatility and leadership, but he's a seriously underrated athlete and it showed at the combine. Has all the skills to be a starter in the NFL, albeit not the tape of a Jason Verrett. Can play in any strange, sometimes hair brined, scheme of off-man, press-man, zone etc... Pagano decides to put him in and be successful. Does a good job fighting for position against bigger receivers. Needs to keep his hands to himself sometimes.

125: NT Zach Kerr 6'1 323, - Good size, active hands, high motor, high character. Pretty much everything you'd want in a day 3 pick. I like how he fights though blocks, has the quickness (on film) to push through in a 1 gap assignment, and size/strength to take up space in a 2 gap. Needs to improve stamina, probably not a day 1 starter at NT but better than captain roller skates Kwame Geathers.

165: C/G Russell Bodine, 6'3 310: Tough, intense, powerful blocker who reminds me a lot of Kris Dielman. Could start at RG this year, and be the future at the pivot when Hardwick retires.

201: KR/PR DeAnthony Thomas, 5'9 175 : It's time to get ourselves a real return man. End of story.

240: OT Cornelius Lucas, 6'8 320: I'm not sure what the situation is with Becton, but I know what it is with Mike Harris....he sucks. Lucas fits the scheme well and like King Dunlap has the chance to make a viable starter in the future. Much more athletic than strong, but with some NFL training he could be beast.

Of course I'd like to trade back and get some more picks before taking Atta, but this is a mock not a damn circus. In this draft I feel I focused on high motor, high instinct, high character guys more than just athletes...although most of them had better workouts than expected so the secrets are out. Other than Lucas I think they're all guys who stick on the roster, Lucas is more of project.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    I'm interested to know who else was on your board at 25 with Fuller and Verrett off the board. Cus I really think TT is gonna take BPA if the gap is big and there. I like your 2nd pick Moncrief would add the speed we need at WR. I would also like to see as double dip at CB this year. Guys like Aaron Colvin and Purifoy.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Attaochu, Roby, Van Noy, Ford, Nix, Sua Filo, Hageman...all on the board and considered, and that is how I'd rank them.

Of course if one of the other CBs falls I'd take them no question. Barr would be a tough one to pass on if he falls given he wouldn't be asked to start right away. And Cooks is a huge wild card, but I think it's too good of chance they're all gone by 25.

4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    I like the idea of a center/guard in the 5th round but I would bet quite a bit that no one taken that late gets anywhere near Clary's job.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Probably true. I think the Chargers should be looking for any excuse to reclaim Clary's $4.5M cap hit, so they can at least make a roster move between May and September, and mid-season.

Personally I'd get Troutman practicing at RG immediately. He had a very solid 9 starts at LG last year over shadowed by his playoff performance, having never practiced at RG before. I'm not saying Troutman should be handed the job, but even a day 3 pick should be enough to push him, and make them feel comfortable parting ways with Clary.

6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    I really doubt it will happen. And now that FA is well over, I don't see the value in letting Clary go. What are we going to do with the space now? He's a veteran presence and a good pass protector inside.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Clary is a decent pass protector from inside, but he was one of the worst run blockers in the league last year, and ranked by ProFootballFocus as one of the 10 worst guards overall. Which is not surprising AT ALL considering we moved to more of a zone blocking scheme and physically he's just not an ideal fit (neither is Troutman honestly). And incase you are skeptical of such a ranking, consider that Evan Mathis, Josh Sitton, and Luis Vasquez were ranked 1, 2, 3...deservedly. I'm not one to romanticize the idea of continuity along the O-line, I'd prefer the idea of tangible improvement.

As for $$$, maybe we'd just like to sign a player during the regular season, maybe someone unexpected gets cut in camp from another team and he'd be an upgrade, maybe we'd like to make a mid-season trade like we did with Chris Chambers a few years back. Cutting Clary opens up options.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I don't have the list in front of me and I am a little pressed for time to go searching for it, but it is interesting majority of the OG's the chargers have shown interest in or brought in are RG's, I highly doubt one of them comes in and supplants Clary day one, unless they opt to go Su'a Filo or someone of that stature but they could end up pushing him out come the middle of TC, If nothing more it is a nice bargaining chip to get him to lower his current pay (which is what I heard is the ideal scenario)

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    2014 2-Round Mock Draft

1. HOU. DE. Jadeveon Clowney. Houston lands the player with the highest ceiling in this draft.

2. TB*. WR. Sammy Watkins. Tampa Bay makes an aggressive play for an elite WR to pair with VJ.

3. JAX. DE. Khalil Mack. Gus Bradley gets his future/current protypical LEO LB.

4. CLE. QB. Teddy Bridgewater. Cleveland will take the safest pick at QB, will not gamble on another QB.

5. OAK. FS. Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix. Surprise, Surprise. #raidering once again. Charles Woodson's replacement.

6. ATL. OT. Jake Matthews. Atlanta gets a plug and play LT in this draft. Matthews starts from Day 1.

7. STL*. OT. Greg Robinson. St. Louis gets a powerful run blocker, will be an elite OT for years to come.

8. MIN. QB. Derek Carr. Yes, believe it or not this pick will have Norv Turner written all over it. Great fit.

9. BUF. TE. Eric Ebron. Doug Marrone gets a weapon for EJ Manuel and his offense.

10. DET. CB. Justin Gilbert. Never hurts to grab one of the top CB's in draft when you play in the NFC North.

11. TEN. CB. Darqueze Dennard. Ray Horton gets a his physical bump and run CB for his defense.

12. NYG. DT. Aaron Donald. Losing Linval Joseph hurts, but grabbing a penetrating DT helps the secondary.

13. STL. WR. Mike Evans. St. Louis doesn't have a capable WR1 on their roster at the moment.

14. CHI. DT. Ra’Shede Hageman. Hageman is so versatile and his measurements are off the charts.

15. PIT. CB. Jason Verrett. Pittsburgh needs help at CB and needs to get younger, gets an instinctual CB here.

16. DAL. DT. Timmy Jernigan. Dallas gets a pure run stuffer up front to tandem with Henry Melton.

17. HOU*. QB. Blake Bortles. Baltimore doesn't see anything they like, trade out for a luxury of picks.

18. NYJ. WR. Odell Beckham Jr. NYJ gets an explosive playmaker they can line up wherever.

19. MIA. OT. Zach Martin. Miami continuing their OL repair/restoring the locker room with good character.

20. ARI. QB. Johnny Manziel.OH YEAH. Bruce Arians loves a big arm, but he likes an accurate big arm. That's exactly what Manziel proved at his pro day. He will get a year to sit and learn behind Carson Palmer.

21. GB. ILB. CJ Mosley. Green Bay's ILB core of AJ Hawk and Brad Jones was so poor last year.

22. PHI. CB. Kyle Fuller. Philadelphia's secondary was so bad last year. They've made some signings, but that doesn't mean they'll shy away from a DB, especially one with the highest ceiling of all CBs in this draft.

23. KC. OG. Xavier Su’a-Filo. Kansas City has holes up front on the OL. They kept Alex Smith clean for the most part last year, which led to their success.

24. CIN. OT. Taylor Lewan. Cincinnati lost Anthony Collins in FA; Andrew Whitworth really excelled inside.

25. SD. OLB. Anthony Barr. San Diego really rolling the dice here, but way too much potential as a pass rusher to pass up on.

26. CLE. C. Marcus Martin. Losing Alex Mack creates a huge hole for Cleveland’s OL. Enter Martin.

27. NO. OLB. Kony Ealy. Nice toy for Rob Ryan and his staff to use and develop.

28. CAR. WR. Brandin Cooks. Losing their most reliable target for over a decade. Cooks is the playmaker they need and a piece Cam Newton needs.

29. NE. TE. Jace Amaro. Bill Bellicheck loves his TEs. Rob Gronkowski isn't the most durable and we've seen how different their offense looks with him out. Amaro is very Aaron Hernandez-esque, potentially better.

30. SF. OLB. Jeremiah Attaochu. Aldon Smith’s option wasn’t picked up for 2015, he might not even make it to Week 1, enter Attaochu.

31. DEN. CB. Bradley Roby. Denver running very thin at CB. Made the move for Aqib Talib but he isn't the most durable and Chris Harris is recovering from an ACL.

32. SEA. WR. Kelvin Benjamin. Benjamin is a willing run blocker and has underrated strength and hands. Good enough route runner to be installed in Seattle's offense.

33. BAL*. FS. Calvin Pryor. Matt Elam will be the starter at SS which leaves a hole at FS.

34. WAS. ILB. Ryan Shazier. Washington needs an WILB to pair with Perry Riley.

35. CLE. OG. Gabe Jackson. Little high for an OG, but Jackson will be a starter Day 1 at RG.

36. OAK. DE. Dee Ford. Oakland continues to build their defense, targeting Zach Mettenberger in the 3rd round.

37. ATL. DE. Demarcus Lawrence. Atlanta could trade up, but expect them to target a pass rusher in rounds 1-2.

38. TB. OLB. Kyle Van Noy. SLB for Lovie Smith's defense is needed.

39. JAX. WR. Marqise Lee. An explosive playmaker falls down some boards after his 2013 season, Jacksonville's WR corps has some question marks with Justin Blackmon suspended. Expect QB to be addressed in the 3rd round.

40. MIN. SS. Jimmie Ward. Minnesota needs another safety to pair with Harrison Smith.

41. BUF. OT. David Yankey. Yankey can play all over the line and will improve Buffalo's run blocking.

42. TEN. OLB. Kareem Marin. Ray Horton get's a rangy OLB/DE prospect to groom.

43. NYG. TE. Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Eli Manning actually gets a target at TE and compete with Adrien Robinson.

44. STL. CB/SS. Lamarcus Joyner. St. Louis gets a nice chess piece, Joyner is very instinctual and versatile.

45. DET. DT. Stephon Tuitt. Detroit’s patience with 'Dom Suh is running thin, Nick Fairley has been disappointing.

46. PIT. WR. Paul Richardson. Richardson is a guy that will stretch the field for Pittsburgh.

47. DAL. DE. Will Clarke. Long and lanky DE for the Dallas to use situationally for now.

48. BAL. NT. Louis Nix III. I do believe Pittsburgh will end up taking him at 46, but good fit in Baltimore.

49. NYJ. CB. Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Rex Ryan disguises players' weaknesses so well, gets a fluid athlete here.

50. MIA. ILB. Shayne Skov. Dannell Ellerbee has been a disappointment, Skov has a nose for the ball.

51. CHI. CB. Pierre Desir. Chicago needs CB help after 2014, with Tillman and Hayden FAs again.

52. ARI. OLB. Scott Critchon. Arizona gets a SILB that could develop to be a complementary OLB.

53. GB. FS/SS. Deone Buchannon. Green Bay getting a versatile safety who has a nose for the ball.

54. PHI. WR. Donte Moncrief. Chip Kelly needs some depth at WR. Moncrief with good strength and speed.

55. CIN. DE. Aaron Lynch. Cincinnati gets a pass rusher with high risk but high reward.

56. SF. WR. Jordan Matthews. Knows how to block, which is key in SF, just not as physical as you'd hope.

57. SD. CB. Rashaad Reynolds. Very instinctual player, experience in off-man and plays it very well.

58. NO. C. Weston Richburg. New Orleans has a huge hole at C after losing De La Puente.

59. IND. WR. Davante Adams. Indianapolis gets a raw WR, but with huge upside.

60. CAR. OT. Morgan Moses. Carolina needs to continue to protect Cam Newton.

61. SF. OL. Joel Bitonio. Possible move to center, but can play OG for a year in San Fran.

62. NE. DE. Trent Murphy. New England get's their situational pass rusher across from Chandler Jones.

63. DEN. OG. Cyrus Kouandjio. Offers insurance at OT as well, but believe he'll be an OG at the next level.

64. SEA. TE. CJ Fiedorowicz. Seattle gets a very good blocking TE with exceptionally soft hands.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    My 7 round mock for SD..

1.25. OLB. Jeremiah Attaochu. Georgia Tech - ACC.
    2.57. CB. Rashaad Reynolds. Oregon State - PAC12.
    3.89. WR. Paul Richardson. Colorado - PAC12. - Gambled on a WR in the 3rd last year that slipped due to injury concerns and durability in the NFL. Get a field stretcher here with speed to burn over the top.
    4.125. NT. Zach Kerr. Delaware - CAA. - Big, gap-shooting NT who actually knows how to play the position.
    5.165. DE. Brent Urban. Virginia - ACC. - Rotational piece here, has a very high ceiling.
    6.201. C. Corey Linsley. Ohio State - BIG10. - We're pretty high on this guy, can see him being taken in the 6th.
    7.240. OG. Kadeem Edwards. Tennessee State - OVC. - Edwards will be able to come in and play 4 out of the 5 OL positions. He's that effective and good. Joe D will love his versatility.

• Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Cleveland didn't lose Mack, they matched the offer.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Martin is truly the only OG worth taking in the 1st round, even though I'd be really annoyed if we spent yet another 1st round pick replacing Jeromey Clary...Martin might be worth it.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Yeah sorry, that mock is a little outdated. Too lazy to update it lol

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Agreed, especially if he still manged to remain on the team when all said and done.

I see us picking up a player late day 2 or early day 3 like a

Spencer Long, Nebraska

Garrett Scott, Marshall

Kadeem Williams, Albany (Who I've heard teams are showing interest in due to his size, strength and athleticism)

15. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    The option of cutting Clary will always be there. There's no added value in doing so before there's someone they want to sign to replace him.

His run blocking was bad all year, but it got better late. It was his first year at guard. I'll take the pass pro for one more year rather than try and start a late round rookie. He gives us the opportunity to draft and develop.

As for scheme fit... it's overblown. If there was one prospect last year identified as NOT being a fit in our new scheme, it was Fluker.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Listen we can go back and forth about how Clary may have gotten slightly better at the end of the season, at the end of it he's still not worth his $6M price tag, and never has been. I'd rather have a 5th round guard, making 500k, who may not be ready to start any day.

But that's just where I stand.:coffee:

17. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    He's definitely not worth it even if I could prove that he improved dramatically. But you're saying that you'd rather have a 5th round rookie taking his lumps and getting whooped trying to protect Rivers than just overpay Clary one more year and keep the pocket clean?

I was all in favor of cutting him and signing Schwartz or a good vet. We didn't. Now there's no point. We'd be cutting him just to save the Spanos family some cash. I'd rather they have lighter pockets and keep Rivers upright.

I mean no disrespect, but the "cut Clary" mentality seems to be fueled more by annoyance/bitterness at this point than by any plan to actually make the team better. Am I missing something?

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    That sounds about right.:tup:

I honestly don't think it would be much worse, guard is not like WR, CB, S, TE etc... where you have to learn every play in the book + motion calls and hot routes all while getting used to the speed of the game. They basically hand you a play book defining terminology and your assignments, which is not vast because less than half the crazy terminology actually refers to the O-line. And lets be honest pass blocking is pass blocking, you don't really care about the details of what the X receiver might do or who's going in motion and you're not going to pull across the formation. SO basically your only job is to learn the run plays and occasional timing screen plays where you block down field, and letting the center identify the MIKE backer. All of this should be sunk in by the end of training camp and daily doubles.

The fact that Clary struggled so much so consistently in his move to RG tells me that either tells me he's not physically strong enough to handle interior blockers (despite his 330 pounds of girth), or he's an incredibly slow learner. Either way I'd sooner take my chances with a Bodine, Steen, Watt, Urschel etc...

I don't feel any hate for Clary, I just think he's not good enough to justify his pay day. If he were making $1.5-$2M this year I guarantee we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Going back to my original roots on this one

25) Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St.

If this was the 2013 draft, we wouldn't even have this conversation because this wouldn't be an option for us at 25, but after a shaky start to 2013 season people are so easy to forget what they saw the year before. With Roby's athleticism, he has the potential to become one of the top corners in the NFL is he can refine his skills. His only really bad game (terrible in fact) was against Wisconsin, after that the remainder of his season before injury got a lot better. I think his floor could be somewhere between Quentin Jammer (of old) and Ladarius Webb but his ceiling potential could be way up the.

"I think I had obvious shortcomings, on and off the field," Roby said. "I naively thought that I could just show up and play well. ... Being fundamentally sound, lining up right, all the little nuance -- I got away from that. You could see my play was slacking. I got away from what got me here."

57) Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech
    This is me hoping he's still available when the Chargers pick at 57, I love JA's ability to put speed to power when attacking the ball, plays to the whistle. One of my favorite prospects in this years draft, and loved his interview on the Darren Smith show, lets get this poor kid a home in SD so he doesn't have to live in a hotel room anymore.

89) Davante Adams WR Fresno St
    Pairing up Adams and Allen would be an ideal scenario, although neither one is truly a burner but both do posses quick straight line speed. Adams reminds me a lot of James Jones with better hands, as stated in forums above, all we really need is a threat opposite of Allen to take away his double teams.

125) Brandon Thomas OL Clemson
    This pick is too good to pass up, just picking him up and stashing him for a red shirt year so we can use him next year when 5 of our 8 o line men are FA's

169) Corey Linsley OC Ohio St
    As stated above, the Chargers have shown a ton of interest in this kid, could be developed into Hardwicks replacement

201) Zach Kerr NT Delaware
    A small school standout who would be a good rotational piece with Sean Lissemore

240) Kadeem Williams OT Albany
    a late round prospect with enough potential to develop, well worth a flier

20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    For being that easy, rookies from the 4th round and down sure do seem to struggle a lot when asked to start right away. You just look at this last year, guys like Brian Winters, Dallas Thomas, and Hugh Thornton spent their time on the field looking lost and getting whooped.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Well the first thing I would say is we're getting the same or worse from JC, for more than 5x the price. You think any of those teams would trade those players strait up for Clary? Doubt it.

I find it interesting what all those guys have in common, with Clary too, is that they all played OT the previous season. Maybe we underestimate how easy it is to just slide inside and play guard for OTs who can't cut it. I do like Winters and Thornton going forward, Dallas Thomas is too finesse for me he's a lot like Rodger Saffold.

I wasn't saying OG is easy to play, that anyone could step in and be Steve Hutchinson, just relatively easy to learn compared to other positions. As long as the player has the strength and short area quickness to handle NFL DTs he should be at the very least be an adequate starter, along with that lunch pale mentality. Which is why I like Bodine, who I kinda see as a poor mans Kris Dielman. If he's mobile too that's what boosts the value, and those are the only guys I would ever go out of my way to select high in the draft.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Of course not. Clary is on his last leg. Those players all figure to get better in the future. But we're talking about one season here. Clary is gone after this year per his age and contract. The question we're discussing is whether it would be of value to the team in 2014 to cut Clary and start a later round pick in his place.

As to sliding inside, I think we do tend to oversimplify how hard it is. But that kind of ties in to why I thought it made sense that Clary got better later in the year. It's logical to think that he got more comfortable as the year went on.

My argument is that we'd be much better off taking that late round OL and letting that player marinate for a season while Clary finishes out his deal. Because Clary, for whatever he was in 2014, was much better than what you get out of 4th+ rookies that are asked to play a lot. He may be overpaid, but if we don't have value to spend the extra space on, it still doesn't do us any good to let him go. I'm only into saving money if that money can then be used to make the team better elsewhere. In my opinion, Clary's contract will expire before that opportunity arises.

Here are some other draft classes (small groups because not many teams are putting late round rookie offensive linemen on the field):

2012:
    • B. Brooks, #76: Struggled mightily in spot duty.
    • T. Bergstrom, #95: Struggled mightily in spot duty.
    • J. Troutman, #149: Didn't play til year two after injury, but in his "rookie" year was a clear step back from Clary.
    2011:

• J. Moffitt, #75: Had a lot of issues, especially in protection.
    • W. Rackley, #76: Absolutely demolished.
    • C. Boling, #101: Was a mess as a rookie.
    I'm struggling to find any guard taken outside of the top ~70 who was anything other than really bad as a rookie.

If we want someone to step in and immediately upgrade the RG spot, I think we'll need to spend a top 2 pick on a guy.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Yeah 1 season where we have no cap space. Cap casualties happen all the time to players much better and to teams just as intent on contending.

Sliding inside: I don't agree that Clary did get much better, I think he's weak for his size, and too slow to play OT. I'd rather give it to a young guy who's been playing interior line his whole life than continue to overpay Clary while he slowly (if at all) improves on the job. I think it was Greg Cosell who said the other day, "if you're gonna stink, you would rather stink and be young." Why? Because young players are cheap and they have developmental upside.

Now if Clary was a middle of the road OG, you might have a point. The dropoff might be too steep for a team looking to contend. But as we've established that's not the case. And if we're making a case for improvement why not give it to Troutman who started 9 games last year and was no better or worse?

24. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Don't know what you guys think of him, probably know better than I do, but I like Marcus Roberson with a mid round pick.

I also wouldn't mind a 6th or 7th going on Vinnie Sunseri from Bama.

Who would you guys like as the dream first round pick?

25. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    We don't have any cap space, but there's no one left to spend that cap space on. So what are we going to do with it? Sticking an extra 4 million dollars in a late round rookie's pockets and putting him at RG isn't going to help Rivers any. The UT suggested that he could be taking a pay cut anyways.

I don't disagree with what Cosell said, but I don't think you're fully understanding how much better Clary was in 2013 than your typical mid-late round rookie who gets stuck in the lineup. He is a middle of the road guard... a good pass protector and a bad run blocker. You could find a lot of starters who are better run blockers, and a lot of starters who are lesser pass protectors. The drop-off from Clary to what I saw from those guys I've listed in their first seasons is enormous.

I'm all for letting Clary and Troutman and whoever else compete in camp. Maybe Trout's pass pro will have improved and he wins. That would be great. If we want to draft a 5th rounder and let him compete too, then cool. But history says he won't come close to winning that competition. And even if Trout won, I still wouldn't be in favor of cutting Clary. I'd rather keep a backup who is serviceable at two positions than cut him so we can spend the money on the non-existent market.

26. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    Sammy Watkins for me. Paired with Keenan Allen would be something to watch.

The other would be Khalil Mack. He would get a year to learn from Freeney and then omfg watch out.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    At the moment, there is nobody left to spend it on, but that will change as the offseason continues. And like I said during the regular season it is important to have the space to sign players off the street as injuries happen. Hell moves like that (trades included) have saved our season a few times in the past.

It's fine, we don't have to agree on this.

28. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Nice to know we disagree on something.

• Like Like x 1
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    My dream is perhaps also borderline delusional because it wouldn't just require someone who should have no business falling to us do so, but also for our coaching staff to go against what has likely been type - and that would be us landing Aaron Donald. I know what people are thinking - Donald... in a 3-man front? WTH, LBC?! But I view him as a player that is so scheme diverse that you literally can scheme around him. His best fit is likely as the RDE in a 3-man front, Liuget's position... but Liuget also played the 1- and 0-tech's at Illinois. He's stout at the POA, and while it is, yes, an "undersized" front three, if all three guys are capable of individually jumping the snap-count and getting quick penetration if an OL fails to get a quick double-team on them, you force lines to constantly play from their heels - meaning a lot more false-starts and overthinking by the offense. I'm also not convinced that Donald can't be used with the kind of versatility that JJ Watt has been and could be - lined up as a linebacker on occasion to really create mismatches (Dude has the 3-cone time of most 3-4 OLB's, his hip flexibility and change-of-direction ability is pretty damn sick).

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Yeah I have a similar man crush on Dominique Easley, if not for those damn knees. He's like the Denario Alexander of DTs.