1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Floyd goes down in practice; CB Wright involved in collision

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    [​IMG]
  2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Shareece Wright, the most feared CB in the NFL, just saying...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    Umm, that was actually a pretty accurate comment on M80. He's had difficulty getting back on the field consistently after injury in the past. His "fragility" has always (unfortunately) been the knock on him.
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Time for Allen to make the most of this opportunity.
  5. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Historically, rookie WR's do not make a big contribution. This WR corps is laced with mediocre and unknown talent.
  6. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296 / 7 / -1
    Better Floyd than Brown. It's time he finally gets to step up and show us what exactly it is he's made of. I'm still convinced that from the brief flashes we have seen of him that he could be our future #1 in the years to come. Might as well start this season.

Honestly, I'm not worried about our WRs yet. We have a lot of young potential talent, and, if Rivers can have a rebound year, they should all see a lot of growth under him this season.

Allen should have no trouble, and Willie and DePalma have both shown talent and have an actual shot to make the team now. Then there's always the off chance the Meach and Royal can find something and pull out a performance of seasons pass.

I honestly think that the Alexander injury and now this one with Floyd (let's all be realistic, he's gong to be out till at least week 3, he heals slower than molasses moves) are blessings in disguise. Because our WR are going to be an unknown quality even to us, think about how that's going to affect defenses. They can't really gameplan for any of them. It could lead to some very efficient spreading the ball around.

Whatever goes down, it's certainly going to be an interesting first few weeks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 5 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,773 / 47 / -26
    If Floyd isn't available until the 1st game, then that's fine. It's not like he needs the practice that bad..... he'll adjust fairly quickly once he gets back. More reps for the youngsters isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Rumored sightings of Shareece meeting w/ Mike Ehrmantraut & Shawn Eckhardt, behind Sports Authority Field... :cautious:
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I was unaware that being realistic is tantamount to idiocy. Pretty sure the opposite holds true. But feel free to sling mud.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Pretty much. The realist in me says we're a 9-win max team this season, and that's if we catch some breaks that have been uncharacteristic for this team in recent years. I think we're building a strong foundation, but AJ's drafting and Norv and his staff inability to effectively develop players left us bereft of quality depth. And I'm not even talking high-end, "they could possibly be starters on other teams" depth, I'm just referring to "it's obvious they'll be career backups, but they're consistent and dependable at what they do" guys. We went from having one of the oldest on-average teams in the league to one of the youngest, and we should expect growing pains.

That said, I think we're capable this season of being similar to what Cincinnati was to us a few years back and San Francisco was to the NFC a few years back as well - likely not a team that's winning their division or even a wild card berth, but the players buying into the new culture change will show signs of things to come and notch some "upset wins" against teams the media will heavily favor to "wipe the floor with us if they play their game". We're a year and another good draft away from making noise right now.

Fortunately, I'm also pretty confident that even another 7-9 or 8-8 finish (and 6-10 isn't out of the realm of possibility for us either) will probably still be good for 2nd in the division because Andy Reid is as stubborn as a mule and is probably going to piss away whatever is left of Jamaal Charles' prime in KC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I thought they were a 8-8/7-9 team before the DX injury. Now it is a crap shoot.
  13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Honestly, with all the panic in this thread regarding an injury to an important player, goes to show how important it is for our team to stay healthy. It's not a good sign when we all panic that Malcolm, yes Malcolm Floyd, who'd be a #2 WR on half the depth charts in the NFL, goes down with an injury.

We might be able to sign someone when cuts take place. A.J. Jenkins is coming to mind.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I still think this team is a 9-7 team. They will be a surprise team in the NFL this year I believe.
  15. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 4 / -0

Maybe He's one of those who don't take "ROIDS" #justsaying
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Maybe. I'm fairly certain that (by staggering margin too) more players than not are using some sort of "performance enhancing" substance - largely because that term is so broad (they lump "recovery stimulating/expediting" in there as well - and that goes beyond just HGH). Then you throw in that Adderall has been in use by players since it became so readily available in pharmacies. And then you've got the "designer" PED's that the guys that make a quality "2nd contract" can easily afford and which are designed to escape detection by standard league tests.

And that's where I really don't have an answer. In a sport like baseball where there is far less blunt physical contact between players, I have no qualms with PED's - if guys want to run the risk of shortening their lives by doing damage to their bodies in the long-term in order to perform at a higher level in the short-term... that's their decision. So long as the rules are clear and unilateral, more power to them. In football, the amount of physical contact can make certain PED's much more harmful to the game - because the game survives largely because of marketable stars. And if stars end up only having a career less than 7 years, which is certainly a distinct possibility if everybody in the sport is "bigger, faster, stronger" than nature is equipped to handle, not to mention there are "more stars because everyone is bigger, faster, stronger" the luster can begin to fade.

I don't want to steer this discussion off-topic. If someone has interest in discussing this tangent further, feel free to PM me or start another topic in a forum nonspecific to our Chargers and I'll be more than happy to continue discussion.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    What do you think about this AJ Jenkins chatter? He could be released, have a hard time believing it. But, I think the Chargers should make a strong push for him. He is a YAC guy, well at least he was a Illinois.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Chargers could look for veteran receiver help

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT

Last week, the Chargers lost starting receiverDanario Alexander for the season with a torn ACL. This week, the other starter at the position — Malcom Floyd — injured a knee and could miss Week One of the regular season.

So what will the Chargers do?

The options are simple: (1) rely on other guys on the roster to step up; (2) wait for other teams to cut players; (3) swing a trade; or (4) sign a veteran currently on the market.

As to the last possibility, the cupboard is largely bare. Choices include Brandon Lloyd, Laurent Robinson, Terrell Owens, and Chad Johnson.

Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego believes the Chargers should pursue veteran help, and he discussed the situation in an entertaining visit to Tuesday’s PFT Live.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

19. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 4 / -0
    I wish we had Andy Reid... He only answers to the OWNER (LOL) Those guys are all CANCERS ....... Laurent Robinson <-- could be productive AJ Jenkins Hmmmmm Man that looks better than some of the others.... I know McCoy wants to be win(Quoting from Last week) .. But, I don't think Sponos would go it... Chargers = Good Ole Boys Clubs "If you have any issues, we'll cut ya!" unless your Gaither LOL
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,773 / 47 / -26
    I believe Robinson had an issue with concussions....... one hit is all it takes to put him out of action.
  21. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 4 / -0
    With any luck, we wont have look... Wasn't that like 3 years ago where Rivers was tossing rock to anyone? I think both VJAX and M80 out from time to time. (2010)

Robinson tried out for the Pats late last month. Robinson has visited seven teams this summer, but beat writer Ben Volin reports teams are "scared" of his concussion history. Robinson was allowed to suffer an unfathomable five concussions last season. The fact that he's yet to land a contract despite making seven visits is an ominous sign for his NFL future.
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I would give only Chad Johnson and maybe Brandon Lloyd a shot. But then again, Lloyd is most likely out of our $ field.

Ocho still has the feet, quickness, hands. Its just learning the playbook. TJ Houshmanzadeh helped him throughout his career.

Since the Niners are "looking to cut" AJ Jenkins, I'd offer something like Mike Willie or a draft pick for him. 6th-7th rounder. Since waiting til August 27th or even September 1st might be time we don't have.

Look at our WR corps, all suspect to injury, Brown and Allen have already visited the trainers room on a few occasions. Meachem and Royal aren't the healthiest guys either.
  23. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    I think the wins comes down to health more than anything. Our defense can be really special if all the starters stay healthy (I know its not gonna happen). I think this D has it in them to be the top 5 in rushing D and top 12 in passing D, making it a top 6 or 7 D over all. With a slight improvement in the offense we could easily put 9 wins up and with our schedule which I think is very favorable, we could win 10. That being said, if our health issues continue then we could easily go 5-11. One more draft, with a monster pass rusher, some receiver depth, and some more beef for both lines and this team could be really good.
  24. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    I say we try and sign concussion boy Robinson. He knows the team. He plays well when not concussed. By the time he is concussed, Malcom should be back.
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'm not sure I'd pick him up off waivers (that means claiming him on his rookie deal which is potentially more expensive than the league minimum), but it's a definite maybe. The guy has literally proved nothing in the NFL at this point and has had plenty opportunity and it's not like San Francisco's coaching staff are slouches. Typically when 1st round WR's fail to make any kind of an impact with the teams that drafted them they're pretty well lost causes (Buster Davis, Devin Thomas, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Chad Jackson, Michael Clayton, Reggie Williams, Troy Williamson (who Jenkins reminds me eerily of), Ted Ginn Jr... sadly it's a position that has easily as many 1st round busts as successes - if not more).
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Honestly I think the guy I'd roll the dice on would be Mike Sims-Walker. Is it a reclamation project? Sure. Are we going to find a potential or future #1 sitting on the unemployment line right now waiting for a call? Hell no. Sadly, the chances are we're probably going to end up bringing in Early Doucet because he already knows Whisenhunt's offense; the issue with Doucet is he has a terrible case of the dropsies. Breaston would have been an interesting pickup if still available, but these injuries timed themselves rather poorly. Also, I love how everyone seems to bring up Ajirotutu and gleans over the fact the Naanee is on the market as well.
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Early Doucet had the "failure to report a physical injury" tag to his release. Lasted only 5 days in Seattle. He wouldn't be a bad option. I like Legedu Naanee too.

I just feel like with AJ Jenkins, he has too much potential and talent to be a 1st round bust. Do I think he was a 1st round talent? No. But he wasn't too far off. He was a 2nd rounder at least. Maybe the pressure is getting to him in San Fran. Maybe he hasn't been embraced by the coaching staff. I would roll the dice on the kid. He's only been in the league for a year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Potential is a dangerous thing. You could literally say the same thing about Jonathan Baldwin (thus far a 1st round bust), Devin Thomas (officially a 1st round bust), and several others... Jenkins is just fresh in your mind because he was drafted last year. Wait till you see him when we play San Francisco in the annual SoCal/NorCal preseason contest... you'll see how just utterly lost on the field he looks (literally, he looks like Meachem out there). With Crabtree not available until likely Week 11 if his rehab goes well, Jenkins is presently struggling to beat out the likes of Lavelle Hawkins, Mr. Concussion Austin Collie, Ricardo Lockette, Chad Hall, Marlon Moore, and rookie Quinton Patton not just for touches... but for a spot on the roster. Look at those names again. Him and all his "potential" can't show enough to merit a roster spot over Ricardo Lockett, Chad Hall, and Marlon Moore?!
  29. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    obviously the big Fella upstairs isn't an Aussie then ..... :(

They are a bigger loser than the Chargers these days Lancelot ......

You may want to consider taking up Quilting or Needlework instead.
  30. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    My my, haven't you done a complete 180, that a charging Ryno would be proud of !!!! :p