1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Floyd takes pride in being consistent

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,573 / 42 / -25

SAN DIEGO ---- Malcom Floyd is a quiet, humble guy.

That's how many describe the Chargers' receiver, and first-hand experience corroborates those accounts. He's not a fan of talking about himself. He'd rather win than pad stats. He'd rather stay home than search for riches.

That's what Floyd has said with actions and, more than ever, with words.

None of that sounds like the No. 1 receivers you're used to.

His stats can look that way. When he's healthy and not smothered by double coverage, Floyd posts five-reception, 108-yard performances like he did Sunday against New Orleans.

Yet he cared far more about the team score than his own numbers. He cared far more about staying in San Diego with a three-year contract extension than maximizing his market value.

"I think Malcom deserves more, but don't think he wants it," receiver Robert Meachem said. "He doesn't want to go anywhere else. I doesn't care about being on the highlight shows. He cares about the guys in the locker room, about standing up for them.

"He's so loyal, especially to his quarterback and his fellow receivers. You can't help but enjoy working with a guy like that."

Big numbers don't matter. Single drops will stick with him for weeks. That's because of a role that Floyd has defined for himself.

"My only focus is on being reliable. If I'm in the right spot at the right time, Philip will get me the ball. I don't want to fail him or fail my team by not doing the right things to prepare and be ready to make plays. That's just my style, to stay the same every day. It's what I think my team needs."

With so many new receivers, Floyd considers himself the group's big brother. That's why he never shied away from helping Meachem or import Eddie Royal learn the scheme. That's why he doesn't mind helping young players during training camp, even those unlikely to make the regular-season squad. That's why he makes sure the practice squad players are well treated and well fed.

"Look at how a family works," Floyd said. "The oldest sibling has to take care of the younger guys and be a role model for them. They look up to me. In my mind, it's an honor and a privilege to be in this position. I want to set a positive example. Even if it's on a simple reception in practice, I don't ever want to let them down."

Floyd has been a consistent presence in this offense, which comes at a cost. He's a known commodity in NFL circles, with an uncanny ability to run precise routes and corral deep passes in the air. That also means, especially without a consistent playmaker on the either side, that he sees significant double coverage.

With Meachem getting into the flow on Sunday with 66 yards and two touchdowns, it should open up more space on the outside and help increase his individual numbers.

The average fan may not recognize him as they do others of his ilk, but those in NFL circles certainly do. Floyd has steady influence in the Chargers still-evolving offense, a presence they desperately need.

"We all know what a humble, quiet guy Malcom is," Rivers said. "I think he's got the respect where it matters, which is in the opposing locker room and with opposing players and coaches. I think that's really what matters.

"He's off to another great start, but I think this is a lot of what we have seen from Malcom over the last three or four years and even the nine years he has been here. Nothing he does is surprising to anyone anymore."
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Love Malcom's attitude. Selfless team player. and he's always had the best hands of our WR group.
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    What's funny is, Floyd's putting up good games and many were saying he couldn't replace Jackoffson. As soon as Meachem and Royal get rolling Floyd and gates will be unstoppable. Throw in a side dish of Rygina, Battle and McClain and all hell will break loose on the field. The only thing holding them back of course will be the blocking up front, and that's a big concern of mine after the hapless Saint's defense recorded 5 sacks.
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    And don't forget - Brown should be back & fresh for the second half of the season. Hopefully that ankle knits well.