1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Flying and landing on A WING and A PRAYER-

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, May 15, 2007.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :icon_rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    snipped from another website.....

"Airplane Struck By Golf Ball?"
    Mon, 18 May '09

Should He Have Asked To Play Through?

ALL kinds of things hit the news desk here at ANN (some of them quite literally...), but we have to admit that this is, undoubtedly, a "new one."

It seems that the FAA Incident reports from this past weekend contains a terse but truly unique report of an altercation between a Cessna and a... golf ball.

And get this, if all the details are correct, it occurred in the dark (the reports states 2130, local time). The incident apparently occurred while on Final Approach and unless the Cessna was REALLY low, some poor duffer is having real control issues with their swing...

Additional Details: The FAA's Elizabeth Cory kindly returned our call a few moments ago and has confirmed the published details of the incident. The FAA is inspecting the aircrafft at this time (late Monday afternoon) and she confirms that there is visible damage to the left wing. The accident occurred while N440ES was on Approach to 28L... which is, as one might expect, pretty close to a golf course......"
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    This from a fighter pilot who runs a 2000 acre corn farm up around Barron WI, not far from
    Oshkosh. He used to fly F4Es and F-16s for the Guard and participated in the first Gulf War...

Submitted for your enjoyment, and as a reminder that there are other great, magnificent flyers around.

The Great Air Battle

I went out to plant corn for a bit to finish a field before tomorrow morning and witnessed The Great Battle.

A golden eagle - a big bastard, about six foot wingspan - flew right in front of the
    tractor. It was being chased by three crows that were continually dive bombing it and pecking at
    it. The crows do this because the eagles rob their nests when they find them.

At any rate, the eagle banked hard right in one evasive maneuver, then landed in the field about
    100 feet from the tractor. This eagle stood about 3 feet tall. The crows all landed too and
    took up positions around the eagle at 120° apart, but kept their distance at about 20 feet from the
    big bird. The eagle would take a couple steps towards one of the crows and they'd hop backwards
    and forward to keep their distance.

Then, the reinforcements showed up.

I happened to spot the eagle's mate hurtling down out of the sky at what appeared to be
    approximately Mach 1.5. Just before impact, the eagle on the ground took flight, and the three
    crows which were watching the grounded eagle, also took flight thinking they were going to get
    in some more pecking on the big bird. The first crow being targeted by the diving eagle never
    stood a snowball's chance in hell.

There was a mid-air explosion of black feathers and that crow was done. The diving eagle then
    banked hard left in what had to be a 9G climbing turn, using the energy it had accumulated in the
    dive, and hit crow #2 less than two seconds later. Another crow dead.

The grounded eagle, which was now airborne and had an altitude advantage on the remaining crow,
    which was streaking eastward in full burner, made a short dive then banked hard right when the
    escaping crow tried to evade the hit. It didn't work - crow #3 bit the dust at about 20 feet altitude..

This aerial battle was better than any airshow I've been to, including the warbirds show at
    Oshkosh! The two eagles ripped the crows apart and ate them on the ground, and as I got closer
    and closer working my way across the field, I passed within 20 feet of one of them as it ate
    its catch. It stopped and looked at me as I went by and you could see in the look of that bird
    that it knew who's Boss Of The Sky. What a beaut !!
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1