1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Let the madness begin, I can't wait to see who goes where..

Also, where should the Chargers address some of their needs in Free Agency?
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Telescope said that he is not big on free agency. We will have to see if he is more active than AJ was.
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I doubt we go out and sign any big named guys, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went the route of 2004 where we got mid-tier guys who were legit starters, like Goff, Foley, and Godfrey. In reality, i felt like that is what we did last year. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    2 names I'd like to bring in

LB Erin Henderson (only if we don't bring back D Williams)
    RT Gosher Cherilus
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    If I'm doing 2 names...
    CB Derek Cox
    OT Sebastian Vollmer

Just one of these guys would make me very happy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Building through the draft is the right way to go about it, but we simply don't have enough draft picks to fix all our problems and field a better team than we did in 2012.

We need both LT and RT, LG, OLB, and at least one RB, TE, and CB not to mention some depth would be greatly appreciated. Also SS is far from locked down as Taylor's 2013 season is probably going to start on PUP. I would be totally on board if Tebasco wants to fix a problem or two in FA.
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I know Telesco said we will build through the draft and shunned big name free agents, but I don't think he said we won't be active in signing key guys to start on this team in 2013. They won't be the big names, but I think we will sign solid rotational players and depth players who can be starters or are currently starters. Indy had to do it last off season.

Of course I'd like to see us re-sign Danario Alexander, Antwan Barnes (or Shaun Phillips), Ronnie Brown, Brandyn Dombrowski, Aubrayo Franklin, Vaughn Martin, Nick Novak, Micheal Spurlock, and Louis Vasquez. Still on the fence with guys like Antoine Cason, Quentin Jammer (as a SS), and Demorrio Williams.

Given that, I'd like us to sign a few of these guys,

OT - Sebastian Vollmer, Sam Baker, Ryan Harris
    OG - Kory Lichtensteiger, Geoff Schwartz
    DE - Arthur Jones
    DT - Terrance Knighton
    OLB - Quentin Groves
    ILB - Justin Durant, Phillip Wheeler
    CB - Sam Shields, Marcus Trufant, Derek Cox, Cedric Griffin, Cary Williams
    SS - Chris Clemons, Patrick Chung
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    The Chargers have fired their strength and conditioning staff. New hire is pending, if not already complete.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Chris Rainey? the same dude who was released for slapping his girlfriend, and was reported stalking another woman and sent her a text saying "you're dead"
    I dont think so, not to mention his production on the field wasn't very impressive either

Paul Kruger wants 8 million a season
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I didn't even know that lol

And where did you hear Paul Kruger wants $8M a year? Source please..
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    According to CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora, impending free agent OLB Paul Kruger is seeking around $8 million per year in his next contract.
    Kruger fired his agents this week and is expected to sign with a major firm after posting career highs in tackles (42) and sacks (nine) this past season. With Ed Reed, Cary Williams, and ILB Dannell Ellerbe also scheduled for free agency, the Ravens aren't likely to get into a bidding war to re-sign Kruger, and appear set to let him test the open market. Kruger made just $615,000 in 2012, the final year of his rookie contract

I also read that Dan Ellerbee will be another top priority for the Ravens
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am certain that he said they would build primarily through the draft but would use FA and trades as tools also.
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I can't see any scenario that Kruger is back with the Ravens to be honest with you. Believe with Lewis' retirement the Ravens will still only have around $8M in cap space. They also have all 3 TE's on their roster becoming Free Agents, Arthur Jones, and Albert McClellan (they believe sets the edge as good as Jarrett Johnson) all hitting Free Agecnty NOT to mention, their QB Joe Flacco. Who will want atleast $10-15M a year. Even if they franchise him, they won't be able to afford anybody else.

I can see Kruger going to play in Indy with his old DC in Pagano, or we can steal him. I'd much rather pay Kruger $8M then Shaun Phillips $4M. But, who knows what happens. I think Kruger will over price himself, he's had 1 solid season. But, man does he look like the real deal.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Not interested for that price.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    The market will determine what he is worth. If nobody is willing to pay him $8M then he will have to adjust. There is always a team that seems to pay the asking price though.
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    I read today where there are a lot of people speculating that the Chargers will make a play for Larry Fitzgerald... While that would be awesome, the cost for him would probably be prohibitive... Nice fantasy talk though.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Also, Rainey is as fumble prone as Mathews is. Granted, there's still hope that Ollie "Made my name off LT like Shelmon did" Wilson gets canned, but you want to acquire a RB with upside but shortcomings that need fixing you spend a later round draft pick on the guy (with the amount of underclassman RB's declaring these days there will always be options) that has less tread.

A few names I'll throw out there who are probably more realistic (and by that I mean folks need to not turn their nose up at 30 years olds - because we're not exactly in a cap position to have our cake and eat it too in terms of bringing in starting capable guys who also have youth on their side):
    OT Sean Locklear - The guy is the definition of a swing-tackle, in that he's not an outstanding run-blocker or pass-blocker, but he's highly-serviceable at both. At 31, offering him the clearest path to a starting opportunity may well be highest on his list of priorities. He can play either the left or right side, and saw action at both last season for a Giants' line that gave up among the least sacks in the league. Played on the vet minimum for NY last season, would command around the same if not a tad bit more in 2013 - probably still doable at no more than $1.5-2 million per season.

CB Sheldon Brown - Another in the "likely to be unpopular because of his age" category. Is he long in the tooth? Yes. Has he shown to be able to still hold down as a boundary corner at serviceable level as a stop-gap? Yes. This season Dick Jauron elected to push Buster Skrine into a starting role, after Brown had returned from an injury, in spite of Brown outproducing him - and Cleveland's secondary suffered. He's a guy with likely on ly another season or two left in him, but he can still go and at worst is a suitable nickel. This is a signing no unlike when the 2011 Niner's brought in Carlos Rogers as a short-term fix while they developed long-term replacements.

CB Chris Gamble - Another Rogers type scenario - possibly closer to the actual case Rogers was in. Gamble is around a 60-70% likelihood release (unless he restructures) for the Panthers because of their limited salary cap availability and him being due ~$8 million in 2013. He's also coming off of shoulder surgery and turns 30 in March. That said, when healthy he's still quite an effective cover corner and one whom - granted on opposite sides of the ball - McCoy has some familiarity with.

ILB Larry Grant - I've actually had my eye on this guy since he was a very late round selection by St. Louis. He was picked up by the Niners and moved from 4-3 OLB to 3-4 ILB and has shown a lot of promise, just is buried on the depth chart behind two of the best in the NFC in Willis and Bowman. He's rangy and reminiscent of Kevin Burnett.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I read that too, I will say Fitz is probably my favorite non Charger player in the entire NFL, Given our cap space and need of O line we can't even afford to think about something like this. Not to mention if Telesco and McCoy both agree the WR's on our roster are just players with not clear cut "Go to Guy" I would welcome the idea of spending a 3rd round pick on Cobi Hamilton if he should be available there. I really like this kid, he possesses some of the same skills as a Eric Decker

But like I said we have some other pressing needs before we can spend on luxury

A player I see possibly getting cut after trainning camp which I can see us jumping all over is Ryan Lindley. If Whisenhunt see's any kind of sign of development.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    It makes for good fantasy talk, but man would that be something. I don't know what Arizona would want for him that they already don't have, most likely a whole lot, and Arians won't give him up easily at all, probably one of the main reasons why he went there. There pretty much just a QB away from being a contender.

They already have Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts. So I think they would be okay at WR. Maybe throw in a guy like Robert Meachem or Malcolm Floyd, but they would definitely demand draft picks. And possibly an OL. Draft picks would definitely be demanded, I'm not willing to give them up.
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, aside from the fact that Hamilton is rail-thin by comparison to Decker. Decker was really solidly built coming out of Minnesota, Hamilton is really slimly built. Not to say that that kind of receive can't succeed, he's just built a lot more like Reuben Randle.

As for a mid-to-late round guy I like who doesn't fit the prototype but I think has a lot of Steve Smith (the Carolina one) in him is Steadman Bailey from West Virginia (cue Buck, wherever he disappeared to, telling us how anyone from WVU is crap).
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I would take a flier on Chris Gamble. I would like to know the progress of his rehab of course. And like you said a Rogers scenario, that means he signs probably half of what he'll make in 2013 with the Panthers and on a 1 year deal. Rogers played on a 1 year deal, and got rewarded with a 4 year $31M deal. I could live with Cason and Gamble as corners, with Gilchrist, Wright, and possibly another FA nickel CB signing like - Chris Owens, Glover Quinn or Elbert Mack.

Larry Grant, I didn't even know was hitting FA. I remember his MNF game against Pittsburgh last year. What a performance and finished off the year strong against Seattle and St. Louis I believe as well. Too bad he's behind Bowman and Willis, I'd like to take a hard look at him. I think he's far more explosive that Burnett though, and pairing him with Butler I think could do some damage, along with Gachkar, who I like. Mouton has been very disappointing and who knows what the case is for Demorrio Williams.
  22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I'm predicting Shareece Wright wins the LCB spot in camp with Cason on the other side and Gilchrist and a FA backing them up.
    Is it August yet?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You don't want Glover Quin playing CB - the Texans tried that for years and he got worked. Now him as a FS is a different story - though it's difficult to gauge what Pagano's preference is with how he positions his safeties. Wade always staggered them a bit (enough to where there was a definitive "free" and "strong"), both Rivera and Manusky played a 1a/1b approach where both safeties were expected to be able to do a little bit of everything (man-up, play centerfield, and blitz) and we operated out of a lot of Cover-1 (particularly under Rivera) just not always with the same safety playing deep. Where I can't get a read on Pagano is that I'm not sure we've seen what he can do with versatile players (Jammer wasn't going to be running stride for stride on the boundary with any #1 and was often passing his man off to his cover, and Bigby couldn't cover an anthill with a 50-foot tarp).

But I digress... yes, Larry Grant is a UFA this year (he was a special circumstance RFA last year because he hadn't played enough games in one of his previous years to accrue a season of veterancy) and probably at the top of my "realistic" wish list. Realistically, unless Phillips is re-signed, we're going to need someone else to pair with Butler that would ideally stay on in nickel situations (we got caught with our pants down way too much when teams went hurry-up on us with TKO on the field and a TE or RB stuck us for a big gain on a reception), Grant alleviates that. And I was drawing more the Burnett comparison in terms of a guy who was starting-capable but stuck behind two very talented guys on his current depth chart.

What I'll be interested to see is if McCoy uses the traditional approach in terms of a fullback. In a way it's a boon having McClain who has seen starters minutes in the past as both a FB and a HB, so worst case scenario he can see his snaps as a HB (power-back option) and short-yardage lead blocker as need. But I wouldn't be shocked, particularly with the fact that we're likely undergoing a major OL rebuild that isn't likely to be accomplished in a single offseason to see us make more use of a 2nd TE more often than a FB.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I think thats what makes Pagano unique at this point, intriguing and worthy of keeping. If we can get improve at the CB position and SS position, I think Pagano will do wonders. I almost feel like we need a more aggressive safety. Look at the two teams in it right now, Reed & Pollard - Goldson & Whitner are playing safety. Both are hard hitting, and receivers tend to get "alligator arms" when crossing their paths.

Weddle by any means, isn't a 'hard hitting' safety. He reads plays and attacks well. I'd like to look at a SS in FA who compliments his game well. I don't want Bigby back, I'd rather throw Taylor out there in crutches than Bigby, and Lynch is my last resort as well as Jammer.

Agreed on the Takeo stuff, we definitely need a rangy ILB to pair with Butler. And Grant, being a former OLB has that 4.4 speed, covers very well and closes in when he blitzes very quickly.

I think we might see a new LT and LG, but I'm not expecting many changes after that. I still think Clary will be given another year until he forces McCoy to bench him. So seeing the extra TE might be more likely.
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We had the aggressive safety - he got too aggressive... that was Bigby to a "T". I could care less if a safety can lay the wood or not if his instincts suck and he bites on play-action every time out. Not to mention, Pollard and Reed are getting lit up for personal foul penalties for those hits at least one apiece per game. The "hard-hitting safety" is going to be a breed slowly driven out of the league if the league itself has anything to say about it - need proof, refer to the defenseless receiver rule. I'd be more concerned with finding a S capable of dropping down in to the slot and covering the more athletic TE's 1-on-1 that with finding someone who hits hard enough to give a guy alligator arms. The combo of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor is what we should be aspiring towards. Weddle can be the Thomas (CB-converted-to-S), we just need to find our Chancellor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Darrelle Revis to be traded?
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Woody Johnson's a moron if he does it. Revis wants to be paid like a franchise QB ($15-18 million per year). About the only thing that would work in our favor us is that he can't be traded until after the draft because the cap-hit would wreck any cap space the Jets have to sign free agents.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I mean the Jets are pretty fcked when it comes to cap anyways.

LBC, say we cut Bigby, who would be a safety you'd pursue in FA?
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Assuming Brandon Taylor is viewed out future SS
    I'd say we do a one year rental on Melvin Bullitt assuming he's fully recovered from his shoulder issues, other than that Jim Leonard would be a nice addition
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Can't see those guys being an upgrade over Bigby to be honest.. I don't think Taylor will be ready for the start of 2013 season, and missing that much time out of camp won't give me much confidence he'll be consistent and a staple in 2013. 2014, very possible, he can be a starter.