1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Chargers GM Tom Telesco says there are no "imminent" roster moves regarding troubled LT Jared Gaither.
    Telesco spoke to Gaither on the phone a week ago. "I wasn't here last year, so kind of get his side of what happened," Telesco said of Gaither's troubles. "Nothing new with him right now. Nothing imminent." The Chargers would take a $6 million cap hit to cut Gaither. Telesco is clearly keeping all his options open.

Can we please cut Clary if nothing else?
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Please please please make this happen

The Chargers have "expressed interest" in free agent OG Andy Levitre.
    It's an indication the Bolts don't expect to re-sign Louis Vasquez, but Levitre would be almost as expensive, if not more so. If their prices are the same or similar, it would be puzzling for the Chargers to go with Levitre over a known commodity in Vasquez. In addition to the Bolts, Levitre has been linked to the Titans and Bears.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Not only have we gotten rid of any and all offensive coaches that know Vasquez, Levitre is a "known commodity" to our new offensive line coach, and physically a better fit for the classic zone blocking scheme.

The logic is solid, albeit I'd rather spend our FA money at LT or RT.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
  5. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +158 / 2 / -0
    one can only dream... imagine if we substituted reggie for ronnie brown on all those check downs <3
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's possible, but Reggie was a little less productive in Miami's stretch-zone scheme this year than he was in 2011 when they were running power-blocking. Then throw in that the other reports I've read state that there are 3 teams prepared to offer "significant money" to Bush and none of them are Miami. Given what Telesco's said about not making splashes in FA this year, I wouldn't expect us to be players if it's going to take "significant money". Someone in this mix isn't being wholly truthful - whether it's Telescopo, Volin and Kelly, or the folks at the Miami Herald (the article I read).

Meanwhile CBS has noted that two of the teams confirmed to be in for him are Detroit (who is laying the full-court press) and Arizona.
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  9. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Interest rising in Levitre

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT

Getty Images
    The Bills have been unable to finalize a deal with offensive lineman Andy Levitre. And while the legal non-tampering tampering period has resulted in a more restrained land rush than expected, several teams are interested.

The compilation of interest comes from the Bills’ official website.

The teams believed to be interested in the four-year veteran include the Titans, Chargers, Bears, and Colts.

The Chargers make sense, as Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com points out, because Levitre hails from Santa Cruz, California and the Chargers now employ former Bills offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/interest-rising-in-levitre/
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Did anyone post about the interest Cleveland has in DX?

(shakes fist angrily at the sky) "NnOOooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv !!!!!!!!!!!!"
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Clearly the front office thinks of what I think of Danario Alexander. I'm willing to bet he gets hurt in camp, and wouldn't doubt if Cleveland rolls the dice on him.

I guess Malcolm Floyd will be on this team, and with Vincent Brown as the #2, and then guys like Robert Meachem, Eddie Royal, and hopefully Micheal Spurlock coming a long cause I believe they all can chip in for solid production.

If we can get Andy Levitre ($6M) and Chad Rinehart ($1.5M) that's an estimated $7.5M from $16.72M cap space we have. I expect those numbers to go up with 1 or 2 more releases. But that's two OG's, at LG and RG who can play in D'Alessandris' system, and play really well. We can get a LOT in the draft, and if, and its looking likely, Jared Gaither will be in camp, we can move our draft pick to ROT and cut ties with Jeromey Clary.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Just a little Market list, a.k.a. Wishlist: ;)

OG: After reports suggested The Chargers have interest Andy Levitre (who doesn't), He is on the top of my list as guys I would love to see wear blue and gold. Problem is, We're not the only ones interested in his services, and we're probably the only team mentioned about pursuing him that has the least amount to spend.
    Luis Castillo is the second option (more like 1A to 1B) Both guys could get a hefty payday of anywhere from 6-9 million a year. Too rich for my blood, so the next group of guys I'll mention could be obtained at a more friendlier price.
    Brandon Moore would be a great back up plan if Levitre and Vasquez price themselves out of our range, the only thing that concerns me with this signing is his age. Call it what you want, but the Chargers are in somewhat of a re building mode so it makes no sense to pay a 33 year old a deal for a couple years of service, when by the time he leaves is when we'll be ready to take the West.
    And the winner is:
    Donald Thomas gets my nod. while all 4 are on my wishlist I think Thomas would be the best option, while grabbing another Guard mid rounds in the draft

DB: Rumors have us linked to former Colts CB Jerraud Powers as being heavily interested in, He is a young player who has shown a lot of potential and would fit into what we are trying to do in SD. My only concern is his ability to stay healthy, granted they were more of the "freak injuries" type, dislocated elbow, and turf toe that have to require surgery to repair ligaments. still think this would be a great signing being that he's young and would be cheaper than trying to e sign Cason.
    A couple of other players I'd be interested in, Darius Butler, Marcus Trufant, DJ MooreWhile bringing in one or two of these guys it'll give us a chance to have a starter and depth at the position, letting the best 2 players get the job. I still would like to see a player brought in from the draft.

Continuing on the DB's; I would love to see Adrian Wilson come in as that veteran who could provide depth, leadership, and fill in the starter role until we see what we have with a healthy Brandon Taylor. He could also be had on the cheaper side.

ILB: I would love to see Takeo Spikes come back at a cheap price but, I believe he is not coming back, He will go to a team that could be a contender next year. We could see Rey Maualuga come back to SoCal but I think his price tag may be more than we would like to spend.Larry Grant, Jasper Brinkley are two other names I'd like to see come in but I think we may see this need taken in the draft.

OLB: Luckily for us there is a heavy amount of pass rushers in this years free agency class.Antwan Barnes could slip under the radar back to us if we move fast enough. Other option would be Nick Barnett. Until proven otherwise our two main OLB's are Johnson and Ingram, I see us adressing the pass rush through free agency and not the draft.

OT: And now we get to the position we've all been waiting for. I keep checking every day to see if Clary or Gaither have been cut yet. I see us adressing this need heavily through the draft, but I also see us going at it in Free Agency. Gaither "When Healthy" is one of the better tackles in the league, Im not sure what was talked about in Telesco's conversation with him, but the fact remains he's still on this team for now. Clary on the other hand should have been cut yesterday, a mediocre tackle making roughly 4 million is too much for my liking. The big question was what did Telesco mean when he said "I love the attitude Clary brings to the game, but we also need good players" Is he saying he thinks Clary is as terrible as we all do? Only time will tell.

Assuming Gaither is our starting LT, we grab a guy like Fisher (fingers crossed), Johnson, Watson, or Armstead. We could be set for very solid protection on the outside, but when Gaither decides 4 games is more than enough and chooses to sit out the remainder of the season or if the Rookie struggles. Winston Justice is a player I think could be a great option to have as insurance. I expect us to address another tackle in later rounds as well.

DT/DE's: I would love to see Aubrayo Franklin back as nothing more than insurance, to see if Cam Thomas can be our NT. Other than that I really don't see any known names brought in at the DE or NT spot. We could also see this as a position taken in the draft. For now lets say Franklin is brought back.

I expect TE and RB to be addressed in the draft.

So lets just say:

OG: Donald Thomas
    CB: Jerraud Powers
    SS: Adrian Wilson
    OT: Winston Justice
    OLB: Antwan Barnes
    NT: Aubrayo Franklin

Draft:

OT, CB, ILB, OG, RB,TE, DE
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Only rationale I can think of Gaither being here still is that it camouflages (poorly) what the team might do in the draft and that releasing him now vs later doesn't change the hit (I'm not sure though).

Even understanding and believing that Alexander is an injury risk, I don't understand why the team wouldn't at least put SOME penalty on him leaving. Just based on his season he had, a second round tender wouldn't be a massive drain nor would it prevent another team from grabbing him while still getting us something in return. To tender him so low is putting unnecessary risk on a major component of our limited success last year.

Based on all the team needs I can't see them spending huge on any one position - as much as i'd love to get Levitre I imagine he gets priced right out of the market for us. I could see spending on Rinehart and Thomas instead to fill the two spots at a cheaper price. I get the feeling even with a few additions the goal will be building through the draft; think the 2004 season without the insane feeling of 'we're doomed'
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21

I dont' think camouflage is as important to Telesco as a backup plan should that worst case scenario happen where we don't land one of the top 3 OTs at 11, and Armstead is gone before 45.
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    What he meant, was that if you took Clary's toughness and lunch pail attitude, and put it in Gaither's body, we'd have the best tackle in the NFL. ;)
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    We have two advantages regarding Levitre..... He's from Santa Cruz originally, and we have his old O-line coach. If the money is close enough, those two factors could tip the scales in our favor.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Actually, it's a calculated move that could prove to be exceedingly smart. We have the cap space to match most reasonable contract offers Alexander receives - and it sort of lets DX and his agent do the work for us. If getting paid NOW is of the most importance to him, such that he'd forego large sum guaranteed money, then they can probably coax a fair offer out of another team like Cleveland... and the Chargers have exclusive right of first refusal, which means means if they match he's obligated to sign that same contract with us and Cleveland (or whoever) just has to sit there and watch.

Regardless of how he looked for the later part of last season, this is a player who hasn't played a full slate of games yet as a pro, and that streak extends some to college as well I believe. No team is going to invest much guaranteed money in a player like that. So realistically, unless a team with some massive brass balls puts a deal on the table with a large sum of guaranteed money (signing bonus as well as other guarantees) Telesco and Co. don't feel comfortable investing in DX (given his medical history) or comes in offering Vincent Jackson money (probably an even less likely scenario), there isn't a realistic contract we wouldn't match and thus we'd be in a position to get him signed long-term under a cheaper deal than were he to go out on the one-year tender, stay healthy, put up numbers, and then expect a contract similar to Meachem's or better.
  18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +158 / 2 / -0
    Not sure I can ever be a fan of Danario Alexander... at least until he takes the knee brace off :eek:
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    On Tuesday, what do you think is going to be the first position we attack?

Personally I think it'll be CB, seeing how that was the one continuous source that kept linking us the Powers. I think for the OG, OLB, Telesco or the players are going to want to sit back (hopefully not too long) and let a market set it self.

I could also see us going SS right away, and I hope its Adrian Wilson. I'm not going to even play the card of "because of Ken Whisenhunt". Wilson has always been a player I really liked. Kind of like Takeo Spikes, he was always one of those players I watched growing up thinking to myself "I wish he was on our team", I was truly sad from a loss side but happy from a money side.
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Whatever we pick up in FA better save us from having to use a draft pick at that position, because I would bet we're gonna have to trade one of our day 2 picks to move up to land Lane Johnson.

I'm think Powers is the obvious one, with Reggie Bush or (small chance) Levitre possibly being the headliner of our free agent acquisitions, any of those guys would save us a day 2 pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    I'd love to see us grab Wilson for a year. Although he's getting up there in age, he's still physically in good shape and could be a low cost pickup that would be a great veteran presence. Also allows us to address other areas in the draft.

I do think the team will have some interest in Reggie Bush, though that will likely depend on if he can be had for a reasonable price, I'd love to see it happen if we can get a good deal, I think Bush and Mathews would be a nice tandem.
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    It would be worth ponying up for Long just so we can take Dion Jordan. He is Aldon Smith + legitimate coverage ability, I'll be amazed if he gets by the Browns.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    If it comes down to 8 or 9 million for Long or 8 or 9 million for Levitre, I'd rather see it go to the former. Not to mention the price of Claray and Garay could buy us just that
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Agreed but I'd be surprised if either get more than 6-7 mil a year. We'd better hope for 2 conclusions...Long ends up here, or he stays with Miami so they don't trade ahead of us.

It's killing me that we can't go defense in the 1st round this year, such an awesome defensive draft compared to last year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    Don't agree........ Levitre can play multiple spots on the line, and Long is long in the tooth, and not worth the kind of money he'll be asking. Give me the versatile guard over the worn out tackle.
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    I don't care if he plays all 11 positions on offense, he's only going to play 1 for us, and it doesn't require blocking Von Miller.

Long is 27 by the way, not 33.
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    Saying that Long is only 27 doesn't tell the whole story. Long may not be "old" in the classic sense, but his play has declined.

Every player has a different clock. LT was a top RB for 8 years...... most guys only last 4.
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Long has been trying to play injured a lot, and it showed on the field the last 2 years, hence his affordability in free agency and why the Dolphins ($33M under the cap) are even willing to consider letting him walk.

I'm not saying I'd take Long over any of the top 3 OTs in this draft if given the choice...but as we don't have much leverage in that regard I would happily accept him for the right price. The upside is still there, and he's never been accused of being Jarred Gaither lazy.

You upset about the position we're in? Look to our wins @ PIT, and CAR, and @NYJ, and OAK to finish the season that you were so happy about.
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    Well, the fact that he's had a bunch of injuries might be telling you that he's wearing down. You don't have to be lazy like Gaither to lose a step or two. We don't know if Long still has "upside"..... it might be all downhill from here on, for all you know.

When did I say I was unhappy about our draft position?........ :confused:
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Or it just says that he's been unlucky recently, maybe you're jumping to conclusions.

Either way the man has been to 4 pro bowls his first 5 years and he's only 27, for $6-7M a year I'm all over that **** as it frees up our 1st round pick. Its the kind of thing that would happen to us, let a player go due to injuries and lower production only to see him return to form elsewhere.