1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Any honestly if we're gonna do something at RT, go cut Clary, forget about Winston, he's not that much of an upgrade anyways, and throw $5M annually at Loadholt's face.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Antwan Barnes among Chargers who won't be re-signed today, per source. Solid free agency market for OLB, who led team w/ 11 sacks in 2011.

3. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I don't know who we plan on having at OLB. JJ can't rush on 3rd downs, English is injure-prone despite not being IR-ed last year, and Ingram is being moved to LOLB, Phillips' position, who knows what happens there.

I'm guessing that will be a draft need. So I expect us to sign 1 or 2 OG's, a RB, an ILB, and a CB or two. Then of course players of our own, like Vaughn Martin and Aubrayo Franklin.

But then again, I'd let Barnes test the market. He's not going to get the money he wants here in San Diego.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,210 / 37 / -21
    Terrible decision IMO. If the best we can do is Ingram, Johnson, and English we're gonna have one of the worst pass rushes in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Word is there is a running back they really like that is perfect for the system they want to run, and his name isn't LSH who was with Whisenhunt in AZ. Im curious who it may be.

I would also like to see them at least sure up the right side on the line with Winston and an OG

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Beanie Wells, he was released yesterday. I'm not a big fan of him, he's been a bust he was a 1st round pick.

7. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Via Adam Schefter's Twitter acct:

Anyone see us making a play for Winfield? He's still got plenty of gas in the tank imo!

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I'd love to have pick him up if we add another DB as well, But I also see this more as a youth movement and not just a band aid

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,849 / 48 / -26
    Did you not get that this is a rebuilding year?

We ain't "reloading" were bringing in the demolition crew. ;)

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    The point is still to build on your previous year. The defense is on the rise, wouldn't you want to to keep a key rotational piece? Rebuilding or not, you don't want to regress from last year, defensively.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,210 / 37 / -21
    Even so there is no reason to let Barnes go, he's still an effective pass rusher.

Particularly against the Ravens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Unless barnes is somehow gonna get 5+ million per season i dont understand our lack of interest

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,849 / 48 / -26
    I don't think the youth movement is just in the front office and HC...... Rivers and Gates will among the few "old men" on the team. That said, I'm sure Telescope has some plan regarding the defense. He won't just be concentrating on rebuilding the O-line.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,849 / 48 / -26
    But..... the more he played, the less effective he was. Barnes is the kind of guy who shines when you limit his snaps. That also limits his value to the team.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Unless they're saving up for a run at Elvis..........................................One can dream right?:D

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    No way, I'm guessing he thinks he can get $2-3M annually, when in reality he really is only valued, at least to me, near $1-1.5M.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Garay still hasn't been cut yet? I'm very surprised, also Whitehurst as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Winfield and asomugah both being released today... This has to be the deepest class of secondary free agents in recent memory hopefully we can obtain both a starting quality cb/ss ... Also seen that bucaneers are the leaders for revis which would likely take them out of the hunt for derek cox

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    Barnes wasn't very good at all last year, didn't look like he fit what Pags wanted to do on defense. I think we're looking for the development of Ingram and another OLB or two brought in from somewhere, either FA or the draft. We need a few too many positions to fill this year, i think we're looking at finding BPA this year, and go from there. I'm thinking that we may actually have a very upside filled draft (guys like Mingo, Carradine, Watson, Lattimore, etc etc) to try to get star players on this team, rather than more depth players, since we've turned so many of our early round picks into depth guys.

20. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Yeah to me he'd be worth that 2-3 million a year though i know he is sort of a 1 trick pony but that 1 trick of getting to the quarterback is one of the most important in football... 2-3 million to retain what would currently be the best pass rusher on our roster doesnt seem like to steep an asking price ... Or maybe me being an antwan barnes fan clouds my judgement idk

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    It's insane to me that we keep hearing Garay's going to be cut, yet he hasn't. I'm assuming Franklin is the key part to that and may be one of the first signings for that reason

• Like Like x 1
  22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Yeah the garay thing is starting to scare me i hope your right and hes only on the roster until they secure somebody else

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,849 / 48 / -26
    Probably the case...... he fits the scheme well, and should've be as expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    Winfield is a Nickel at this point, very physical but not fast anymore, cant stay with deep receivers. Asomugah is the same as Jammer, as LBC has said, ailing from the same "i'm not fast enough to play man anymore" disease.

25. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Im not saying i want either of them im just saying the deep class will hopefully result in an inflated db market which will allow us to grab a derrick cox or chris houston without paying the premium

26. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    Agreed, there's a lot of decent options out there, so hopefully it will push the need down the pipe a little bit.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Assuming we sign one, would you guys rather have Cox or Powers? Im a little torn on both

28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Id
    Id deff rather cox ... Powers to me seems like more of a tampa 2 type cb while cox is more of the prototype nfl cb

• Like Like x 1
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    It's almost certain we can mark OG Andy Levitre, TE Martellus Bennett, TE Delanie Walker, TE Jared Cook and possibly LT Jake Long off of our want list

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Nfl Newtwork just said Jerraud Powers is on his way to visit AZ and then SD