1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    I'd contend that we didn't have the luxury at the moment of paying a guard almost $6 million per year. Despite that there are going to be some that will see Garay's release as freeing up $5 million - that's our draft picks right there. If it's between paying a starting guard $5.87m AAV and extending Butler... I'll take extending Butler.

2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    So now we're actually a worse o-line than last year? How is this BS even possible??

I could care less about John Phillips or Fozzy nobody even knows who I am, our best lineman just got away, leaving nothing but scrubs to protect our 90m QB....

3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    While I agree that Butler is an important part of our future, O-line is an absolute necessity. You may argue that we don't have the luxury of paying a guard 6m, but the flipside of that is we don't have the luxury of depth to be able to let him go, and we don't have a line capable of protecting our most valuable player Rivers, or giving us anything that resembles a run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    :coffee: No.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    So that means pay what we can't afford for a guy whose claim to fame is being the best member of one of the worst OL's in the league? Because that sounds like sound logic.

Guards are the single largest talent pool in every draft class and most free agent classes. If this were say us losing a tackle or center I might be more worried. Hell, if this had been Kris Dielman back when Seattle tried to sign him away I might have been more worried. I realize that folks are going to jump to hyperbole with this comparison, but us letting Louis Vasquez go isn't very different from the Steelers letting Mike Wallace walk or the Ravens letting Paul Kruger go - you don't overpay or overextend yourself to sign anything but your superstars and most key cogs. A borderline top 10 (at best) right guard is not such a cog.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Colts just signed RT Gosder Cherilus, Could possibly land us Winston Justice

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Chargers sign king Dunlap to 2ye deal

• Like Like x 1
  8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -0
    I hope this means the beginning of the end for clary... A release of clary would be the biggest addition by subtraction in franchise history ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    You have a got a valid point about the money, but from a team standpoint, look what our o-line is right now. Scrub city, pure turnstile.

Just seen that we've signed King Dunlap, who if I remember rightly, is a RT? Does this spell the end of Clary, or does it mean a move inside to RG for him? Hopefully a cut, because like you say, paying good money to a non-elite guard is not a good idea when you have a lot of needs to fill.

I just so wanted us to get off to a good start and make a positive signing...

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    If its anything over league minimum, we overpaid for both Phillips and Dunlap.

I don't hate the moves, we have to fill out a roster, but I doubt either garnered much attention from other teams the last few days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    More action in Indy... RT @mikerodak: Colts announce they have agreed in principle with former Patriots guard Donald Thomas.

Well Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt!!!!!!!!!!

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    These better be no more than what Novaks contract was, just sayin'

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Don't think I've heard one positive thing about Dunlap.

And he's still best player on chargers OL. Oy

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    After Dunlap and Phillips were signed, Other GM's around the league called Telesco saying "Hey save some for the rest of us" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    Donald Thomas would of been nice .. oh wait too slow. Lol

Not looking too good for us, was expecting much, but wow.

I want..
    CB Jerraud Powers
    ILB Larry Grant
    OG Chad Rinehart

John Phillips was a good move, I'd prefer James Casey, but hey beggars can't be choosers. Don't really care for King Dunlap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Don't care for Dunlap either but as Ant pointed out, he may be the best o line player we have at the moment, and if this move is to kick Clary out Im all for it, Im afraid this is more to what AJ should have done last year, getting some kind of depth behind Gaither.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    Dunlap was listed as the Left Tackle on the phily depth chart.

19. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -0
    Kind of love the king dunlap move as long as the terms of the deal are somewhat what i expect them to be... clary makes 5 million per year as our starting RT and i think we can all agree hes a below average starting RT in the league.. king dunlap obviously is no savior for the offensive line but according to pro football focus he is ranked as pretty much an average starting RT ... he is also younger than clary and is has a lot more potential than clary and i expect for him to have a more cap friendly deal than clary so if this move means we are able to release clary which would give us another 4 or 5 million of cap space im thrilled... this leaves us with 3 positions on the starting offensive line to fill (i think anything we get out of gaither has to be considered a bonus at this point assuming he doesnt get released) and anything more then 2 rookies starting would make me feel extremely uncomfortable so hopefully we are able to sign another quality starter or 2 on the offensive line

20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Overreact much? :laugh:

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Played in both spots. Was originally intended to be a swing-tackle after their signed Demetrious Bell, but then Peters got injured and Bell was moved from RT to LT and Dunlap was started at RT. Then Bell sucked something fierce and got himself benched in favor of Dunlap.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    In other words, he can't be worse than Clary. ;)

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @Manny_Vs_World: Thoughts on King Dunlap signing?” >Creating depth/competition at tackle. Clearly looking to move on from Clary if they can

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Well... anything's possible. But Clary is, sadly for him and for the last several years of our lives, a guy with fantastic drive to succeed and just none of the physical or intellectual tools. He's like the fat kid with down syndrome that wants to be a movie star. He can have all the desire and right attitude in the world, bless his heart, but Brad Pitt (or even David Spade) he's never going to be.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Team spends big money in FA & it doesn't work out. Doesn't matter. We still want them to spend big money again the next year. I love America

25. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -0
    agree 100% on clary haha at least king dunlap has the physical tools to be a top 10 tackle in the league

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    So does Jarred Gaither.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    He would be an even greater liability if we go to the ZBS. The guy's wearing cement shoes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Gaither could be top 3, if he had Clary's toughness, desire, and blue collar attitude. All that talent is being wasted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -0
    Yeah but as far as i know king dunlap actually enjoys being a football player as opposed to jared gaither whos love for the game is factually nonexistent

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. Didn't follow philly much last year. Guess that is a goodbye to the turnstile.