1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's a shame there aren't waivers anymore. I'd take him back happily on the contract he signed with Miami - that was a bigger "unforgivable non-resigning" to me because of how horribly reasonable the contract was than VJax was.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Safe to say we 100% agree on this one LBC :tup:
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    There was a great quote that was re-tweeted by one of the bloggers/online scouts (guy works for NFLDraftMonsters with a friend of mine) that I think is fittingly indicative of today and why no one should be going into panic mode:
    We were going to be a team that really only had the capabilities to be signing 2nd-tier free agents or players who were (or their agents were) overestimating the market for them and will become more amenable to 1-2 year "show me" deals with likelier starting opportunities to try and boost that value. I see people griping that we're not shoring up depth right now - this really isn't the point in the process to be doing that - the only 'depth caliber' guys that are getting signed right now are the ones that teams are overpaying for with the likely intent of starting them or giving them more prominent roles.

I've really only seen about 3 or 4 signings today that I'd call truly "great" signings in terms of matching both value and need for the contracting team.

Also worth noting. For all the blustering we heard about Jimmy Raye instilling this great interest in our free agents with the Indy staff, Cason sure seems to have been passed over for two other free agent corners in Indy... and I'd wager he's probably either Arizona, Carolina (if Rivera actually likes him and he's not that hung up on getting a huge pay day), or Detroit (if they don't re-sign Chris Houston) bound.
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
  6. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Go on...
  7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Out of the current class of FA safeties who would excite you guys the most (out of the somewhat affordable options) with guys like michael huff, laron landry, kenny phillips, adrian wilson, and louis delmas all available
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Still waiting to see the money on Bradley Fletcher but that could be a 4th or 5th. Vasquez made sense for Denver, but I think a lot may come down to how the deal's structured; made more sense for them to sign him for that AAV with Peyton's 2-year window than for us when we're at least a year away from any kind of Super Bowl contention that isn't heavily influenced by luck (and we're who we are... luck isn't something we should expect).

Kruger at $8m per year is a good deal for the Browns (I may need to look back over the guaranteed money) but they didn't pay franchise player/premier pass-rusher price for him, he comes with 3-down player type experience that can float between OLB in base and DE in nickel/dime. At any sort of price he wasn't in our realm of affordability, but as deals of the day go this was one of the better ones.

The Ravens got a great deal on Chris Canty at a little over $2.5m per year and minimal guaranteed money.

The Eagles' signing of Sopoaga looks liek a good one, but I've yet to see the numbers.

By comparison there were some eye-rolling deals handed out today (Bushrod, Bennett, Wheeler, I'd contend Levitre but depends on the TEN offensive scheme, Wallace - and his limited skill set).
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Phillips, maybe Landry (but not for the price he's likely going to demand coming off a Pro Bowl bid). Wilson fell off last season, he was never great in coverage but always an ultra reliable tackler - that waned last season. Huff is, sadly, probably second-best in that group. And Delmas has never been able to stay healthy.
  10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Id like to get your opinion on us signing Huff... would I be the only one sort of excited about having 2 free safeties or coverage safeties which is sort of unconventional but in todays NFL I like the sound of that a lot... will our run defense take a hit? probably, but the road to the playoffs and ultimately super bowl is gonna go through denver and new england... id lose a lot less sleep at night having ridley or mcgahee beating us then seeing brady and manning torch us
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I'm pretty sure not 1 DB came off the market today, well besides a few re-signings.

Guys like Ty Green, Rex Hadnot, Leroy Harris, Chad Rinehart, and Geoff Schwartz are the guys we're likely to sign as OG's. Can't see a Matt Slauson or Brandon Moore here.

Miami spending all this money, and not at least engaging in talks with any ROT's, they'll most likely address their need for an OT in the draft, which means they might trade up and take Lane Johnson.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Some of the dumbest spending I've ever seen has come from Jeff Ireland in the last few years. They tried the flashy receiver + overpaid ILB thing a couple years ago (Marshall and Dansby), and now they're doing the same thing again while letting their LT and best CB walk out the door.

I expect they'll trade up and steal our left tackle in the draft, but because its what I'd do tells me it probably hasn't even crossed that dumb shits mind yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Among the non-resignings: Bradley Fletcher (STL -> PHI), Greg Toler (ARI -> IND), Pat Chung (NEP -> PHI)

At OG's: Levitre (BUF -> TEN), Vasquez (SD -> DEN), Donald Thomas (NEP -> IND)
    At OT: Bushrod (NOS -> CHI), Cherilus (DET -> IND)

Things really aren't bleak at all. Winston's still out there. Jammal Brown - who is being underrated because of recent injuries - is still out there. Sean Locklear's still out there. Geoff Schwartz and Matt Slauson are still out there. Plenty of CB's. Plenty of "competition" safeties.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Doesn't help that he's paired with the "new Jerruh" in Stephen Ross. Their fans (I'm literally watching them write it) are trying to justify it as they're "using their immense cap space to eat dead money hits so they can get younger at positions with comparable producers, but that's just dumb to me. Lock up your own stars long-term, maybe sign one true game-changer (or use the money to get really favorable back-end contracts from more proven, versatile vets - i.e. Greg Jennings over Mike "one dimensional" Wallace).

Tennessee, I kind of get. Bud Adams is old and frankly doesn't care what state he leaves his franchise in when he dies so long as he sees another Lombardi before he kicks the bucket. That and Reinfeldt (their GM) is willing to go along with it because he's tied to Jake Locker at this point, and if Jake continues to bomb, Mike's out of a job. In other words, Bud Adams is the new Al Davis.
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I liked Bradley Fletcher, its too bad the guy hasn't been on the field much. Had a great 2010 year I believe it was. I really like some of the moves Chip has made over in Philly so far.

Hopefully, with the deep DB class, it drives down the prices for guys like Cedric Griffin, Keenan Lewis, Chris Owens, Jerraud Powers, and even an older vet like Marcus Trufant.

I'm hoping at ILB we can sign a guy like Larry Grant, Brad Jones or even Kevin Burnett.

I have confidence we'll get the deals done wit Aubrayo Franklin and Vaughn Martin.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    If Heyward-Bey came cheap, I'd take him. Can't teach speed, and he'll be able to stretch the field.

Too bad Nate Washington is over priced, I'd like him here, currently placed on the trading block. I just don't like Alexander due to his very checkered injury past, and Floyd is in that same boat.
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    I hope Ireland is really this stupid...although it could be disinformation for the draft.

A source tells the Palm Beach Post that the Dolphins are "pretty set" on moving Jonathan Martin to left tackle.
    The Dolphins have blown the majority of their cap space on Day 1 of free agency, so they're almost certainly moving on from free agent Jake Long anyway. This should confirm it. Although Martin struggled mightily after moving to left tackle late in the year, the staff apparently sees room for growth. Pass protection could be an issue for the Dolphins in 2013. At least they have receivers now, we guess.
  18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    lets not forget about brian hartline with his 5 years 31 million for a wr that quite frankly doesnt strike fear in a single cb in the league and could have had the least impactful 1,000 yard season in the history of the nfl... 12.5 million guarenteed dollars to somebody with 6 career tds in 4 seasons is a real head scratcher to me
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Just a matter of whether it actually fits what Pagano wants to do. Do I think it's largely beneficial to what he seems to want to do? Yes. Both his scheme and Wade's seemed more apt to using do-all safeties versus strict free and strong molds. Huff's a bit more in the Bernard Pollard mold, but would pair well with Weddle, I believe - he's certainly no Roman Harper for anyone worrying about that. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a minimum-type flier on Mike Mitchell either - the guy had potential but Oakland's defense was always hapless: When they had good pass-rush their secondary was poor, when they had a good secondary their pass-rush was non-existent.
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Didn't I call this from the onset?
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I liked Fletcher a lot, but I'm not sure he really fit our scheme all that much (same reason why St. Louis wasn't making much of an effort to hold onto him). Despite the fact that everyone covets these tall, big press-man corners those aren't really the guys that are succeeding in a Pagano-run scheme (if we're to assume - because in many regards it has - John's is similar to Chuck's). We play a lot of off-man, and thus instincts over size is really what should be emphasized (and hence why Cason was such a poor fit - his instincts were God awful). Fletcher is the type of CB that needs to play in press-man in order to really excel. He'd have been wasted with us.
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    If we're gonna go at a safety, I kinda like Glover Quin. He likes contact, and he can be a serviceable man to man guy in the slot.
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Free agent CB Derek Cox has lined up visits with the Saints and Chargers.
    It's the first time he's been linked to the Saints. Cox is also expected to draw interest from the Redskins, and hasn't been ruled out in Jacksonville.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    So Telesco said there's about 7-8 guys he has lined up, so far it's John Phillips (signed), King Dunlap (signed), Jerraud Powers, Derek Cox, Eric Winston and I'm curious to know who the other 2 are. I hope there's an offensive guard somewhere in there or an inside linebacker. I'm sure that number has expanded, with some releases.
  25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    CB Jerraud Powers loves Bruce Arians & arrives in AZ tonight. But told he's "100 percent" committed to honor planned Chargers visit tomorrow
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    You saying he's going to sign with us?
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Browns landing Kruger improves the chances of Dion Jordan sliding.

If we do miss out on the big 3 OTs, I would be fine with Jordan.
  28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    Where would you rather live? ;)
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    HAHA Im not the one to ask seeing how I lived in SD for 26 years but now live in AZ.
  30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    First, you express disappointment in the Chargers not going after either of the top 2 guards available. Then, you say you know that they aren't going to "compete for biggest" FAs. 6-8 mil a year is a lot of money for a guard. A team with as many holes as the Bolts does not have that luxury. Plus, if we are truly going to a ZBS, then paying top dollar for a power guard like Vazquez does not make the most sense, anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 1