1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I kind of like it, Only for the fact that He fills that depth position in case of injuries. I'm sure it cost them nothing to bring back also. I think they really like Mathews and feel the help of Woodhead taking that 3rd down role will help Mathews be more productive.

What I don't like is that they could have used what ever money they spent on a different position.

As I said earlier it'll take away our need at finding a RB through the draft this year, so we can focus on more pressing needs. RB, like WR is a luxury pick. I would rather role with Mathews, Woodhead, and Brown and focus on fixing our O line and Defense. Then in a year, worry about what to do with Mathews

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Chargers re-signed RB Ronnie Brown.
    No third-down touches for you, Ryan Mathews. With Danny Woodhead's signing and Brown back in the fold, Mathews will almost certainly be a two-down back. Both Woodhead and Brown are solid pass catchers, and Brown can pick up a blitz. Brown, 31, caught a career-high 49 passes for 371 yards out of the backfield in 2012.

3. hash_tag_nat

hash_tag_nat KISS THE RING.

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    oh, i couldn't agree more with what you said. i like having these receiver-backs. just interested in how these touches are going to be shared.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Realistically, St. Louis doesn't need a LOT, they just saw themselves as getting a better LOT than the one they had, and Saffold is going into a contract year having had recent injury woes. Les Snead was part of the administration that was doing a ton of due diligence on Jake Long when Long was a top draft prospect and Snead was in Atlanta (the year they drafted Matt Ryan... and later traded back into the round for Sam Baker). Saffold's fit is supremely better at LOT than ROT (he's just not that great of a run-blocker - which I'm sure was Long's allure to Fisher).

I agree, it's in our best interest that Miami re-sign Long over say St. Louis, if for no other reason than I think it makes Miami more likely to trade up to try and acquire Milliner (as Stephen Ross seems to think they're in "win now" mode for some reason... with New England still looking strong as hell in their division and no picnic schedule next season).

I do think some folks are letting out "need" overvalue Rodger Saffold in trade if he came available. Player with an injury past, who is under contract cheaply but only for one year at which point he'll want a big payday... he'd be acquirable for more like a 3rd or 4th round pick if they did sign Jake and he made it clear he intended to sit out rather than play RT and devalue himself in a contract year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Brown being on a one-year contract is telling. He's probably no lock to make the final 53 man roster coming out of the preseason, but that would require the backfield looking like it can survive through an injury or two without him. I think this may be McCoy and Whisenhunt's influence on the front office in that they're not overly impressed with the long-term prospects (i.e. "might have starter potential") of a number of the RB's in this draft that would be valued late Day 2 or into Day 3, so better to at least ensure Ronnie's there to carry the load. Denver did it with McCoy there, Carolina did it with McCoy there, we're going to be a RBBC team... it's the trend, but McCoy's teams have been some of the ones that were the trend-setters.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Yeah, just look at the RB's on Denver's roster last year, McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman.

They didn't have to draft a RB in the 3rd round, but they did, knowing McGahee and Moreno's injury past. I still say we draft one in the 3rd-4th round.

Brown will be a camp body for sure, seeing how both Brown and Woodhead do the same thing as 3rd down backs.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Except Woodhead is a better pass receiver than a pass blocker......... Brown is bigger and a better option as a blocker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Agreed but Woodhead is no slouch as a blocker especially for his size - let's not forget that Sproles was pretty impressive as a blocker especially considering his size. I think Brown is a back up and competititve option but I really doubt he makes it out of camp on the roster. Woodhead was a good addition as that screen back - someone who can take the bubble screen to the house. This team has absolutely missed that over the last few years.

Oh and Telesco - go get Dumervil

9. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Question to the people more in the know than I am (probably most of you lol).

Dumervil accepted a paycut of 4m to take him down to 8m, and the agent messed it up leaving them on the hook for all 12m then they cut him. Cutting him creates dead cap room, so if they re-signed him at that 8m they intended to give him, does it essentially mean that on their cap space they might as well have kept him at 12 in the first place?

Does this make them unlikely to re-sign him?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    What the radio has been reporting is that cutting him created $5mil in dead cap space, that is going to be there whether they resign him or not. So if they were to bring him back on the same $8mil deal, it would end up being $5mil of an additional cap hit than it would have been had the agreement gotten in on time.

So yes, it makes it highly unlikely that they bring him back

By the way, what is being reported is that it wasn't a reduction in pay, it was a restructure of pay which lowered his base salary, but he still would have gotten it in bonus money that frees up cap space for the team

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Garay to the Jets........ bye bye Hello Kitty. ;)

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    And yet, I can't manage to shed a tear for John Elway. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I was really tired of seeing his stupid hair on the sideline anyways

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Garay was a great guy in the locker room and the community, but his on the field contributions weren't what they once were. I would like to get Franklin back though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    at least the car is small enough he can park it in Manhattan without trouble and he's big enough that no one will try to jack his car even in Jersey

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Pats sign Adrian Wilson, so besides Ed Reed, are there any good safeties left?

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Even including LT in that mix, or at least his last two seasons here or so, Sproles was the best pass-blocking back we had on the roster over that span (it's more than just technique, it's also about recognition and adjusting to pick up blitzers as the come, versus just trusting the play design when your initial assignment is pass-pro; there's a reason why Clary was visibly less of a liability when Sproles was in versus when he wasn't).

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Plenty. Quintin Mikell isn't a bad pickup by any means; the Rams just wanted to get younger at the position. Huff's still out there (as is Mitchell, who I've said I wouldn't turn my nose at taking a vet-min flier on). I honestly wouldn't even be miffed about signing Bernard Pollard if it was on the cheap (though we don't play the Pats this year and arguably Pollard's greatest asset is injuring Patriot players). And I'd be overjoyed to get Kerry Rhodes.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Well, then lets hope Telesco is on the phone with one them.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Is this old news?

Antoine Cason | CB Previous Team: San Diego Exp: 5 years

Analysis: The Arizona Republic reported that Cason signed a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals on Friday worth $2 million.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Is Cason old news?.......... yes. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Nope. For all of everyone in the media's insistence that Cason was a highly sought-after commodity, he ended up not being able to get much more than a one year deal for $1.5m with incentives that could bump the total value to $2m if they were reached... and that from a relatively CB starved team (outside of Patrick Peterson) in a state of mass-turnover.

BTW, there's a new blogger/tweeter I've followed of late who is posting anonymously (I suppose the guy has his reasons, but the bloggers who are also former front office personnel like Russ Lande and guys who work for NFL.com like Daniel Jeremiah all seem to know who he is) is another among the former NFL front office member turned blogger/pundit who is brutally honest and does a great job breaking stuff down. As the DB's he said he'd be going after if he had pull in a front office (based on proven play, remaining upside, sign-ability, etc.), Cox was on his "would pursue" list and Cason was on the "wouldn't pursue" list.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I was just thinking about this today, Seeing how we signed Woodhead and Brown today, Both are great pass catchers, as well as pass protectors, Do you guys think there is a slight chance Brown was brought in to play FB?
    I know he's big enough to block but is he strong enough? Both McCoy and Whisenhunt use a more athletic Type FB.
    Sherman 5'10" 240 and Hester 5'11" 235 Brown is 6'0" 230

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
  27. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    What's the username?

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    I don't really understand why you wouldn't at least try to make something like that work. Not only is it our biggest division rival's best (or second) pass rusher and stealing him would be a big shot to morale, but there is statistical proof that he is a better fit in a 3-4 defense.

Not only that but you could argue we have one of the least impressive pass rushes in the league right now, at least on the edges. Its Ingram, who we're hoping takes a giant step, and nobody. Its a bigger concern than CB, and 2nd only to the epic disaster that is our O-line.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,895 / 48 / -26
    Don't forget, Dumervil hasn't exactly proven to be that durable a player. That figures into how much you'd want to pay the guy. It's not what he's done in the past that you pay him for, it's what you expect him to do in the future.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    He's missed 2 games in the last 5 years.

I'd give him a 4 year deal for around $32M in a heart beat, he was a damn stud in that 3-4 defense.