1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I think when all is said and done the NFLPA will step in and resolve this, Both parties have expressed desire to keep their business together going forward. Only way I see him not being a Bronco is if another team offers him 10 million
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Not a chance, the NFL doesn't want to open up a can of worms, its called a deadline for a reason.

And really its very suspicious that the "fax machine broke" as Elvis was so eagerly signing a contract for less money right at the deadline. Something went on there.
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    McCoy hasn't typically deployed a traditional fullback in terms of pure lead blocker. Much more of a preference for double-TE sets or using an H-Back that can move around line up staggered as a FB, in the slot as a receiver, in-line as a TE... and Ronnie Brown doesn't fit that mold. Brown's insurance in case we don't find good/great value on (likely) Day 3 or UDFA in terms of RB's. Folks seem to forget, we're going to end up taking a roster of somewhere near 80+ guys into camp, so not everyone is being signed with visions of them being permanent fixtures. Until we get to final cuts only the 51 highest paid players on the roster count against the salary cap, so if for instance Brown signed for the vet minimum, he's likely not even applicable against the cap right now - or may not be once we start drafting.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    @NFLosophy
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I get the feeling it's probably between us and the Jets for Barnes - would be interesting because the Jets can likely promise him a starting spot and it's not like he doesn't have familiarity with Rex having been originally drafted by Baltimore when Rex was their DC. That said, SP95 is still on the market and while I'm not expecting him back, he's another body that can fill some team's need at edge-rusher which could free up someone else for us. If the price is right, I could see James Harrison being a possibility - not likely as we seem intent on going youth movement, but possible. Lawrence Jackson's someone who could get a look (and whose metrics indicate he could rush as an OLB). Ultimately though, a lot of 4-3 and 4-3 Under teams are Bogarting the undersized pass-rushers (Seattle!), so either the front office/coaching staff is going to have to reside themselves to going small or older, unless they're keen on spending a fairly early pick in a not-so-great class on a rookie and letting said rookie see noteworthy snap counts this year.
  6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I'd say we've made moves in FA that were largely dictated by cap space, some need, & the intent to build via the draft.

TE - very similar guy as McMichael but younger.
    OT - likely a swing backup, possibly a Clary replacement.
    OG - Good chance that Rinehart starts, IMO. Joe D. is familiar with him.
    RB - Fozzy is camp fodder. Woodhead can be an interesting addition.
    CB - If Cox can stay healthy, he's an upgrade to Cason. That's not so much a jab at Cason as a thumbs-up to Cox - more aggressive & better ball skills, gives up nothing in size/speed/quickness.

Did I miss anyone?

I'd still like to kick the tires on Pollard/bring back Burnett. As attractive as it is, don't see us in play for Dumerville. We'll just have to consider it a win if we get him out of the division.

Honestly - don't see anything that the Chargers have done in FA that should change their focus in the draft. OL in the first .... could well be Cooper as the tackles are quite possibly gone by 11.
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Yep, the Broncos had him really out of place playing DE. I never understood why they didn't just put him at OLB opposite of Miller.
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Again I said NFLPA not the NFL.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    The NFLPA is a union, they have no say over what the NFL does. This was an NFL deadline that is there for a reason, they're not going to start the precedent of bending rules because the union demands it. And typically the union frowns upon players restructuring their contracts for less money anyway because it affects all players.
  10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,296 / 12 / -5
    The NFLPA wants an inquiry:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/report-nflpa-wants-inquiry-into-dumervil-debacle/

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Really?...... because I don't see any stats at all for him in 2010 (he tore his chest muscle before the season). I think you need to revise that total. 16+2=18 games. ;)

Besides, you don't always have to miss games for injuries to have a negative effect. His big swing in sack totals from year to year are a testament to that. He's had has many as 17 (2009).... and as few as 5 in 2008, when he still played in all 16 games. Last year, he was battling a shoulder injury.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Ahh true I forgot about that. That of course means he'll never be healthy and can't be relied upon. Dump him.;)

Remember how Rivers tore an ACL in the AFCD game in 2007? Clearly he's injury prone too, it shouldn't matter when you sustain a major injury just that you sustained it. He needs to take a pay cut.

Oh yeah remember how Donald Butler tore his ACL before his rookie year? We should trade him now and get what we can for him. I'd take a 7th and be happy.:whistling:

No seriously though if you nit pick injuries on every player we'd end up with none.
  14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    Agreed. Regarding how far the league would go to kiss Elway's a55, this isn't even close.
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The league is not going to change the rules to benefit the Broncos. They may re-sign Dumervil, but they will still have the $5mil in dead money that come from releasing him
  16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Seeing how some of these contracts are falling, and since we'll most likely go OL, OLB, ILB in the draft I think we should give Darius Heyward-Bey a run. Someting like 1 yr./$1.5M or 2 yr./$2.5M, he can stretch the field and I know that's all he can really do, but it would open up so much more for guys like Gates, Royal, and Green who do exceptionally well in man to man.
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Sounds like Vollmer may take a 1 year deal as well, we could do better than that.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Free agent DE Elvis Dumervil is interested in joining the Dolphins.
    Dumervil is a Miami native, but the Dolphins haven't called his agent and may not be interested. Dumervil's rep says "multiple teams" have called regarding his client, but NFL Network's Michelle Beisner says Dumervil isn't drawing much buzz. The Broncos appear to be moving on from Dumervil for the moment to see what else is out there.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Yeah, there hasn't been much talk of Vollmer at all here in New England, I listen to the sports radio quite often and they feel like Marcus Cannon can take over at ROT, and possibly find another in the draft or free agency. There moving on from Vollmer.

I wonder if this will effect Andre Smith and Eric Winston..
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Honestly, at $8M a year he just isn't worth, especially deals being given out to guys like Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett. He's better off driving his price down to $5M a year, he should of just taken a pay cut with Denver if he was smart.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Well to hell with Eric Winston, he's a better run blocker than a pass blocker, its not enough of an upgrade.

I'd take Smith or Vollmer (who can also swing to the left side) for the same stupid F'n contract we gave Clary though, or slightly bigger.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    There you go, acting like injuries aren't a legitimate concern all of a sudden.

The fact is, Dumervil isn't that big, so he's a liability against the run, and he's had his share of injuries. That doesn't mean he doesn't have value as a pass rusher, but he's not a kid anymore, and you have to take his health and mileage into consideration when you talk about $$$.
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    No I'm just using rational thought while you're digging deep for flaws for no other purpose than to disagree with me. Fact is other than the 1 year with the pectoral injury Doom has played over 90% of his games, and he rarely leaves them.

Also in a 3-4 his size and run defense are less important, most OLBs in the 3-4 are in the 250-270 range. And go figure when they were running a 3-4 in 2009 he had 17 sacks and was up for DPOY. If anything he's a bad fit for a 4-3 when he has to put his hand on the ground and doesn't get a running start at OTs.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Agreed, if we're talking to Vollmer's agent, and feel confident about him, we should release Clary first, get some of that cap relief, whatever it is $2M+ and use that to sign Vollmer to $5M a year.

Then we can trade out of 11, gain a few picks, because I believe Eric Fisher will fall to 11, and we can trade back to take possibly Lane Johnson if he's around, if not keep trading back to the early-mid 20's to take Terron Armstead, it won't be much of a reach if we take him in the mid-20's, since Gaither won't be released, saving 500K isn't much at all.
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    I agree that he's a better fit in the 3-4, but I do think he's been prone to getting muscle injuries. If that's nitpicking to you, then fine.

In my view, he's not worth $8 million a year, especially for a team that has a bunch of holes to fill. A lower priced option would be preferable.
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I dont think it is as much that injuries are not a concern, it is more that not all injuries are equal and not all injuries mean someone is injury prone.

As for the rest of what you say, i agree.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    No, I don't.

And I don't think he will get $8M a year anywhere based simply on his age (29), probably more around the 5 to 7 mil max, and for 3 - 4 years max.

And what lower priced option is there that doesn't have flaws that you would sink your teeth into? You want a 26 year old OLB who is good in coverage, solid against the run, averages 12 sacks a year, and has never missed a game....he's gonna cost more than Doom I guarantee you that. (I think Dion Jordan will be this player BTW, but we'd have to trade up, and of course he has durability concerns too)
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if we keep Gaither this year and cut him next year, wouldn't that leave similar dead money next year? So the only thing we do by keeping him is hurt our cap space next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Thats right, and the same can be said for Royal and McClain. It may not be appealing to cut them now, but the fact is next year their cap # grows. And if they fail (which is likely) we're only delaying the dead money hit until next year.

Meachem would actually cost us money against the cap this year if we cut him, but at least it gets him off the roster and he'd have no affect on the 2014 cap...where he is set to make $6.5M to likely be our 3rd or 4th best receiver.

If played right, we could have as much as $40-50M in cap space next offseason....which may not mean much to a GM who is anti-FA.
  30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Agree. I would much rather suck it up this year with a team that isn't all that great, to turn it around next year with a high draft pick and a ton of cap space. I say cut Gaither, Clary, and Meacham. I'd be OK with keeping McClain and Royal as they are cheaper than the other 3 and at least have upside which none of the others have IMO