1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Gaither didn't have a problem with an "injury", his problem was that his pussy hurt and he decided to sit on his *** once he got paid. He had a history of not only getting hurt, but then not getting surgeries and/or taking much longer than normal to get healthy. Alexander has no such "work ethic" related history. In fact, after all of his injuries he's evidently worked diligently to get back as soon as possible. Is he an injury risk? Sure, but his reputation is diametrically opposed to Gaither's. You're comparing apples and oranges. Also, the team is absolutely not going to get a better receiver for 3 Mil on the cap this year. It simply will not happen.
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    I disagree, with Bowe, Wallace, and Welker headlining I think Jennings will be undervalued. I only see Miami, Minnesota, and Seattle as possible landing spots for him. He won't have the market Bowe, Wallace, and Welker will have, those guys will get VJ type money. I think Jennings will get $6-7M in salary and signing bonus, that's my opinion, I could be wrong I could be right, guess we'll see.

New England will re-sign Edelman, and look to sign guys like Danny Amendola or Brandon Gibson, both played in McDaniels' offenses in St. Louis. Weren't productive, but that Ram's offense was historically bad. Don't be surprised to see New England stick it to Miami and bring in Brian Hartline. All 3 of those guys have been rumored by beat writers here in New England.
  3. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    He missed the entire 2010 season to a back injury.. I also read he had back spasms in college too. He milked injures and was injured at times, I'm not comparing their work ethics at all. I'm comparing these two players, and Gaither of recent history, what would happen if we heavily lean on Alexander to be Rivers' "go to guy". We leaned heavily on Gaither to protect Rivers' blindside, with no adequate backup and look what happened.

I'm just saying, I'd rather use that $3M towards a guy who has proven he is liable. He had 2 knee surgeries since entering the league in 2010, had 3 knee surgeries in college, missed 5-6 games in both 2010 and 2011 to hamstring and knee injuries too. And missed camp in 2012 due to injuries and lead to him being cut.

Listen, I love his talent and ability, but I was sold on Gaither's 5 game season, I'm not going to be sold on Alexander's 8 game season.

This WR corps has ability. Vincent Brown, Robert Meachem, and Eddie Royal have the talent, and I think McCoy will utilize that and get the most out of all of them. I hope Malcolm Floyd gets cut, not a fan, never was.
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm assuming that you mean "reliable" for the bold. Also, Gaither's cash was literally double that of the cost of giving Alexander an RFA tag. Gaither might have been out for the 2010 season due to his "back injury", but you'd have to be crazy at this point to think that his real issue was a propensity towards injury rather than horrible laziness and a suspected love affair with his couch.

Unlike Gaither, Alexsander is A) reasonably priced, B) one of many receivers, ostensibly including Vincent Brown, and C) coming in on a one year contract, during which time the team can evaluate whether or not his injury is likely to be recurring going forward.

Further, the problem with Gaither wasn't just that the team had signed Gaither to a lucrative multi-year deal, but that Clary had also been signed to such a deal. This gave us a RT who shouldn't have even been a B/U let alone a well-paid starter, a LT who was going to be fleecing the team for cash, and no one even remotely capable of starting behind EITHER of them on the roster. The travesty caused by Gaither wasn't just about Gaither, it was about a complete lack of talent across 4 roster spots. With DA, our receivers are actually the best they've been since 2009 if you're looking 3 deep, and with our new coaching staff, we might actually get something out of Meachem and Royal. We have nothing to lose by tendering DA, and a lot to gain.
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Okay, I agree with a majority of that, but he was the #1 receiver for the final 3 games. And only had 4 receptions for 103 yards and 1 TD.

If he can take a 1 year/$1-1.5M deal I'd be open to it, just at $3M is too much for me with a guy with 5 knee surgeries and can't get out of camp healthy. I'd rather spend that on a WR or OL in free agency.

And if Fisher doesn't fall to us at 11, I'd trade back, take Lane Johnson and hope to gain a 2nd and get a WR with one of those 2nd round picks.
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Look at the outrageous numbers that were handed to Garcon, Robinson, Meachem got lat year, Jennings who IMO is light years better than all of those players, he may not get Larr Fitz or Megatron type numbers but he'll get a nice pay check, In all honesty I believe Victor Cruz or Mike Wallace will set the tone on what Jennings will get close to
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Look at last year's FA class, there was nobody out there besides VJ, we know what happened there, and Marques Colston who re-signed with the Saints literally the 1st or 2nd day of FA. Reggie Wayne also re-signed. So guys like Meachem, Royal, Robinson, Garcon and even Manningham got nice contracts. All, besides Manningham were WR3's with WR2 upside.

Look at the numbers Garcon put up by the way, not exact numbers you want being put up by a $40M+ guy..

Wallace was never leaving the Steelers with his 1st round RFA tag anyways and Cruz will get the same this year with the Giants.
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Sig Bet. If Jennings gets less than 7.5 mil/season average over the life of his contract, you can make my sig/profile picture whatever you wish. Likewise, if not, that area then belongs to me.

Terms and Conditions:
    A) Someone has to volunteer to actually make your sig for me if you lose. I have no photoshop talents.
    B) Altered profile pic/sig line is to remain in place for thirty (30) calendar days from the time it is changed by either user.
    C) Altered profile pic/sig line cannot be against the Ts and Cs of bolttalk.com
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Get Blue in on this, we can have him design the sig's
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Lol, like I said its my opinion, I could be wrong or I could be right. The NFL is a day to day league, things change and maybe someone comes in and offers Jennings something real big.

But to spice things up, I'm not the one to shy away from a challenge, I will accept this "bet". Lol, I also have no photoshop talents what so ever.
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    There will be a lot of trades this offseason, and the Colts were pretty active last year with Telesco in office.

Anybody see us going after some players? Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes, Michael Turner, Jon Beason, Chris Gamble, DJ Williams, Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson, Michael Huff, James Harrison, Ike Taylor, Deangelo Hall, and Santana Moss are all potential cap casualties, that could be cut.

Then you have guys like Rolando McClain and Titus Young who have character issues and might find themselves out of the league. But, if Titus Young can be mature, which is highly unlikely I like the talent he has flashed at times.
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I don't see Telesco trading for players likely to become cap casualties.
  13. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The teams got plenty of needs.
    If we can pull a CB, TE, LT out of the draft & a RB, OL, SS and WR from free agency we should be on track.
    Of the available FA I like
    RB: Rashad Jennings, R.Mendenhall, or Chris Ivory
    OL: Jake Long, Max Starks, or Chris Clark
    SS: Jim Leonard
    WR: Wallace or Bowe

I don't see all the pieces having to come together to make a playoff team, the oline and SS would probably get a playoff berth / Like the changes and new direction, time to do some winning bolts!
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Well I meant other players, those players will most likely be cut.
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Re sign:

Luis Vasquez
    Tyronne Green
    Antoine Cason
    Nick Novak
    Aubrayo Franklin
    Danario Alexander

Bring in:

Larry Grant
    Chad Rinehart

Release:

Randy McMichael
    Larry English
    Antonio Garay
    Takeo Spikes
    Jeromey Clary

Restructure:

Philip Rivers
    Robert Meachem
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Mendenhall is more injure-prone than Mathews and Chris Ivory will be a RFA, given New Orelans' problem running the ball, they'll most likely keep the back who had a solid 5.4 YPC (yards per carry).

Jake Long's body is breaking down as well, and he'll be looking for $10M a year. Wallace and Bowe will be looking for VJ contracts.

We need a LT, TE, and RB who are plug & play players through the draft.

Available FA, as of right now I like:

RB: Reggie Bush, Kahlil Bell, Jonathan Dwyer, LaRod-Stephens Howling (Knows Whisenhunt's offense)
    WR: Greg Jennings, Ramses Barden, Brandon Gibson
    OL: Kory Lichensteiger, Chad Rinehart, Geoff Schwartz, Sam Baker, Ryan Harris
    ILB: Larry Grant, Phillip Wheeler
    SS: Jarius Byrd, Chris Clemons, Patrick Chung
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Another name I'd add to that list, if he's let go by the Patriots is Brian Waters. Hasn't missed a game since 2000, and will be 36 next month. Sat out the 2012 season because he wanted a higher salary and wanted to play closer to his family in Texas. But that is highly unlikely because if he comes back the Patriots will make him play for them or he'll just retire.
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Per CBS' Jason La Canfora, free agent Mike Wallace is said to be seeking $10-$11 million per year on his next contract.
    According to La Canfora's sources, the Steelers are not planning on franchising Wallace, and they do not anticipate meeting his aforementioned salary demands, even though it's expected that other teams will value him at that rate. Wallace has certainly played his last down for the Steelers. Wallace, 26, will be aiming for what Vincent Jackson got from the Bucs last offseason -- five years, $55.55 million with $26 million guaranteed.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Bet New England will be "one" of those teams. If they have a vertical guy like Wallace, no doubt they'll be be back in the Super Bowl.

For us, unfortunately we decided to spend our cash on WR(s) a year early. :(
  20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Our wide receivers might still pan out if Rivers can get more than 1.4 seconds to get rid of the ball.
    I'm still not sure why we didn't at least give a shot to our more "mobile" quarterback who could at least
    buy an extra second or two with his feet. Oh yeah, silly question, forgot who I was talking about there
    for a moment. Starts with a bacon and ends with a neck...
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    The Newark Star-Ledger reports the Jets have had "some very exploratory, informal discussions" regarding ex-Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell

How desperate can these guys be?!?!?!
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    I know this would never happen, but I'd like us to explore Randy Moss. I'm not saying I want them to sign Randy, but explore him. If you look at what he can do for your offense, both in receiving and being a decoy, it would make sense in San Diego. If you watched Randy and the 49ers this year, at times Moss would have 2-3 guys around him on a route, creating so much space underneath. And when we have guys like Royal and Gates who take advantage of open spaces it could make our offense dynamic. Check this out:

[​IMG]
    Led to an easy Crabtree touchdown. Then you look at what he can do when he is put in man coverage, he dismantles most corners. I know he will be 36, and he has had character issues before.

But, this is unlikely, because he will want to join a team who is a contender every year. (Ex. New England, could see him back there as well.)
  23. Joy Division

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I said the same thing (he'd be a great decoy/attention getter) before he was signed by the Niners, but the only response I got then was: He's washed up, he's done, he takes plays off, he's lazy, no thanks, you're high. Then again, I'll play my usual card here and blame Aj/Norv.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    I mean its highly unlikely, but if you think about it, when he signed for the 49ers, he had Alex Smith at QB, who was conservative and the 49ers were a run heavy team. He was also going to be the #3 receiver as well and his spot wasn't even guaranteed, as stated by Harbaugh.

What gets you in trouble with Randy is getting tied into the long term deals. I think he'll get a 1 year deal with an option for 2nd year. He still posses top end speed. And I think with Norv/AJ it was more an old school approach, and Randy just doesn't fit that, even though he's an old school guy. He needs something unique, to keep him interested. I think McCoy and Telesco brings that new energy here.

But who knows, I'm probably wrong. I'd rather have Randy Moss at 36 than Malcolm Floyd at 32 next year. Then you have guys like Vincent Brown, Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green, Robert Meachem, and Eddie Royal all being able to work underneath the space he creates.

Vincent Jackson did that here. One of the reasons why we didn't have good production from our receiving corps. There was simply no space to work with, and also the offensive line giving no time to Rivers either.
  25. Joy Division

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    You nailed it on your last line...
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    What makes you think that Moss won't just retire if he wins the big game, or won't just stay in San Fran? Also, he turns 35 this year 2 weeks after the SB, so I don't know where you're getting 36 from.
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Saw Kirk Morrison this morning ... Got to thinking how the former Aztec could help w/ depth at ILB for Chargers. Morrison is a free agent.
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because he's as much as said he wants to come back and play again next season.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    He wants rings, he'll play til he's 38-39. The guy still has 4.3-4.4 speed. Which is incredible for his age.

Moss turns 36 after the super bowl, he was born in '77.

He'll get more money elsewhere than what he's getting in San Fran too.