1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Jim Trotter was on Darren Smith a little bit ago and said they have feelers out with several players, and that he had exchanged texts with Eric Winston and he was told that the Chargers have been in contact with him and had expressed interest
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Chargers gotta hope they can sign Branch cheap as a rotational, bring back Martin or draft someone late (Kwamie Gathers?) to serve as a Cam Thomas backup
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
  5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Unbelievable, I believe one of the main reasons we were ranked 6th in the run game was credited to Aubrayo Franklin. ******* Jimmy Raye.

There still are serviceable NT's in the market. Sedrick Ellis, Casey Hampton, Antonio Johnson, Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Ty Warren. We just need to sign one and draft one.

Another corner taken off the market today, DJ Moore signs with the Panthers :mad: I wanted him here.
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Honestly, I'd just run with Martin and a rotational guy. Thus far Cam hasn't proven to me he can be "the guy" and we're not going to get much different doing rinse-repeat and investing in another late round NT. Shore up where we can this year, if value falls at NT in the 2nd (say Jonathan Hankins, John Jenkins, or even Kawann Short) and there's not better value available at OLB, I'd have no issue with going "value at anticipated need" and sinking a 2nd into a NTotF who can play some 5-Tech, rotate at NT, and once he's added functional strength and bulk, plug in at the position when Thomas his free agency (or at the very least give us leverage) in 2014. Honestly, you don't see a lot of quality starting 3-4 NT's that aren't early round selections.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Eh no to almost all of the ones you listed with the exception of Kemoe'atu. Ellis had trouble playing the 1-Tech in a 4-3, he'd get murdered at the 0-Tech in 3-4. Hampton's knees are DONE. Johnson's a 5-Tech (and if we were looking at 5-Tech's who could rotate at nose then Vonnie Holliday is likely a better look). Same goes for Ty Warren. Honestly, I'm not opposed to signing someone like Johnson or another 5-Tech, but in that instance I'd be more inclined to start shifting Liuget to NG then and begin developing another 5-Tech DE.
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I don't know if I want to move Corey though. He was SO dominant last year. I think we just have to draft a NT in the 1st round. I mean, a DL consisting of Reyes-Lotulelei-Liuget, constantly rotating, all 3 of those guys can play NT, and be effective. That would be one hell of a defensive front.
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    We honestly need to sign a slot corner to keep up with Welker's quickness if we even want to compete with Denver this year, or he'll be catching 10+ balls those 2 games. Look at Welker's monster performances against the Bills last couple of seasons.
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I don't like Star as a 3-4 NT. He's a Kevin Williams clone, not BJ Raji. You ask him to 2-gap (which is what we've been asking out NT's to do under Pagano) and you're wasting him. Liuget's a quality athlete - quality athletes with proper technique can/will produce almost anywhere you line them up if scheme'd properly. Corey's played the 0-Tech at Illinois. If we could trade back into the high 20's and nab Jesse Williams, I'm fine with that - though it essentially that's committing to going aggressively after someone like Armstead or Dallas Thomas in the 2nd (possibly at the expense of having to be aggressive and trade up).

Best bet, honestly, is praying we can get Pouha on a 1-year deal similar to how we nabbed Franklin last year.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Denver's gone full-blown Dodgers/Yankees at this point. And as much as I loathe the franchise, we're better off going the route of the Red Sox than sacrificing long-term competitive viability in order to be "competitive" with the Broncos while they're going "all-in for Peyton".
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,754 / 47 / -26
    Franklin may not've been great, but he was serviceable...... just having Cam leaves us in a bind. We need NT depth. A lack of depth is what has done this team in the last few years.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Question, if the chargers do want and need an OLB why not victor butler
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because thus far he's been "picky" - i.e. he wants to go where he wants (a contender) and get paid too. If he's already come and gone to Pittsburgh and left without a contract then I'd wager his demands are well above a minimum salary. It appears that unless they're willing to sign contracts that give us easy out options after the first year or two, Telesco's not too keen on signing more Meachem/Royal types.
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Brad Jones, ILB for the Packers, started 10 games last year and had 77 tackles, 2 sacks, and 4 pass defended, and 1 forced fumble. He works out in San Diego too, so I hope we were one of the 8 teams that he's met with. He graded out as the best 10 ILB in the league last year according to PFF, and will be 27 in a week or so.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    Antwan Barnes signed a 3 year 4 million dollar deal? WTFF why couldnt we bring him back for that :tdown:
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I don't believe we even offered him an offer, but I also think he wanted to play for Rex, I read an article from his agent saying something like "he wishes he could have gotten Barnes more money, but he got him the best he could so he could be where he wanted to be"
  18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    Yeah i read that same article he wanted to be closer to his home town but damn i dont understand why we werent even slightly interested at all especially considering the small amount it woulda took to bring him back
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Seriously, Franklin was just a scrub street free agent when we signed him. No one expected him to be a great player for us, so why do people think that we can;t find a guy just like him to take his spot?
  20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Dunno about him being "just a scrub street FA" he was more than capable playing the nose. He was born to play NT and just because he floundered in the 4-3 in NO didn't mean he was a scrub. He's a loss no doubt about it, but at the same time replaceable.
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Not saying he didn't play well, I am saying when they signed him, he was just a body. He was not someone that most people thought would be anything more than a backup or rotation guy. No one expected him to play well or as much as he did.

I am just saying that there are under the radar guys like that every year. Just because none of us are targeting a guy, doesn't mean management isn't and doesn't mean the "just a body" guy we do pick up, won't play to a similar level as Franklin. Just pointing out that losing him isn't the end of the world
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,754 / 47 / -26
    You do realize that there aren't a ton of true 3-4 NTs justing sitting around, don't you?

The type of player we need is in very short supply. Getting "just a body" ain't going to cut it.
  23. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    This sums it up. The NT makes such a difference to a 3-4 team, and when the NT is just another body you can see it in the team's defensive performance. A big part of the problem is that we just aren't looking to spend much money so we'll have to hope Telesco and the coaching staff can find/develop another Franklin. I'm more concerned that this becomes yet another position where we need to spend a precious draft pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    There weren't last year either and yet we found one that no one thought would make a big impact.

Getting "Just a body" is what we did last year and will do it again
  25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I'd be real pleased with Williams, just not at 11. Mid to late 20's would be reasonable value.
  26. hash_tag_nat

hash_tag_nat KISS THE RING.

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    i pray that we find that man in the middle.
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I know it's not likely, But so far this off season we have heard from the FO and beat writers about a possible trade for a LT.
    Jim Irsay tweets about a trade coming for a WR.

How great would it be if the Bolts and Colts made a trade for

Bolts receive LT Anthony Castonzo, 2013 3rd,

Colts receive WR Robert Meachem, and some draft picks

Like I said, not going to happen, just wishful thinking.
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,754 / 47 / -26
    Franklin wasn't "just a body" as you like to say...... he simply wasn't a good fit in the 4-3 the Saints were running.

He is a good (if old) 3-4 NT against the run. He'll never be a pressure guy against the pass, but he can clog the middle against the run, and there aren't a lot of guys who do that well.
  29. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    I'd trade Meachem, his salary, and a 7th round draft pick for ..... NOTHING. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    You may have got your wish. Read on another board a "Hacksaw" report (FWIW) that we're talking with CB Captain Munnerlyn. He'd match up with Welker as well as anyone.
    edit: typical quacksaw bs. Dude reupped with old team