1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Issue is that those "bodies" have been signed already (Jean-Francois, Sopoaga, Roy Miller, Hill). At this point we're looking at a choice among bringing Martin back to see more snaps at NT than DE (which may honestly be the best bet), a suffering from back injuries of late Sione Pouha, Justin Bannan, Shaun Cody (who is coming off surgery and generally not very good), and Alan Branch who was largely a washout as a 2-gap NT in Arizona and didn't do much until turned into a 5-Tech in Seattle.
  2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I wouldn't want to rely solely on a Thomas/Martin rotation at NT, but I believe (and have for some time) that Martin would be better utilized at NT.
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You have to consider how often/little we're in our base 3-4 and how often/little we might be moving forward given the likelihood of teams like Denver, KC (under Reid), NYG, Washington, and Philadelphia to go 3-wide and force us into nickel more often - at which point Martin is more in his element as a 1-Tech than a 0-Tech anyway.
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am saying that he was just a body to the fans, and how he was viewed by most experts as an available free agent.

The point is, there is bound to be a guy out there that most experts and fans are viewing as just a guy, like Franklin was last year, who can come in here and step up
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Who are these so called "experts" you speak of? ;)
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Bears announce Brian Urlacher will not be back
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
    The Brian Urlacher era is over in Chicago.

Urlacher, one of the best and most popular players the Bears have ever had, will not return to the team, it was announced on Wednesday.
    “We were unable to reach an agreement with Brian and both sides have decided to move forward,” Bears General Manager Phil Emery said in a statement. “Brian has been an elite player in our league for over a decade. He showed great leadership and helped develop a winning culture over his time with the Bears. We appreciate all he has given our team, on and off the field. Brian will always be welcome as a member of the Bears.”
    Although Urlacher was an unsigned free agent, the news comes as a surprise: As recently as this morning, Bears coach Marc Trestman was saying he thought there was a place for Urlacher on the team.
    But things change quickly in the NFL, and Urlacher’s days with the Bears have come to an end.
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Bears make Urlacher insulting offer before walking away
    Posted by Darin Gantt on March 20, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
    The Bears fired a coach who won 10 games last year, so it’s no surprise they’re taking a “just-a-business” approach.
    But the way they treated Brian Urlacher on the way out the door borders on insulting.
    Urlacher told Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribunethe Bears offered him a one-year deal that topped out at $2 million, meaning that amount wasn’t guaranteed.
    It was a ultimatum, not a negotiation,” Urlacher said. “I wanted to be in Chicago. I wanted to finish here. . . “I wanted to be here. I wanted to be in Chicago… Now, that’s not possible.”
    Urlacher said he had no intention to retire, and will explore joining one of the teams he’s talked to. The Vikings were reported to have made contact, and such a low-ball offer might make him make a Brett Favre spite-move within the division.
    But honestly, if the Bears weren’t interested in having him, they should have just said so. It wouldn’t have been popular, but you could have sold “youth movement.”
    Making him an offer you knew he wouldn’t take just makes it look like you’re trying to pass the blame for an unpopular move off on someone else.
    And that’s cheap on more than one level.
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Since not a single person that I remember, from any national media site, was claiming Franklin was the must have NT and based on the fact that he got a cheap 1 years deal, it kind of tells what all teams in the league thought of him, i would say that it was safe to say, he was viewed as "Just a guy"
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    You could say that of the majority of the players in the NFL..... there are only so many stars in ther league. That doesn't mean he didn't have value, which he did. There weren't that many FA NTs available that year, and he was one of the few decent ones.

Thousands of college players would love to have a chance to be "just a guy" in the NFL. It's all relative.
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I understand that, and I was wrong to call him a scrub in the initial post, but I stand by the fact that he was brought in, not expected to play as well as he did, and was expected to be nothing more than a rotational guy. He did play well and I don;t deny that, I am just saying that I think they can find a guy like him
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I don't understand why these players who are up there in age, around 31-32+ seem like they can cash out as if they were hitting their primes at 26-27?

Urlacher and Reed, both wanting crazy money, could think of a few more too.
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Well, he was still a rotational guy....... Cam played on passing downs. At his age, limiting his snaps was even more critical.
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    What "crazy" money?........ I didn't hear any dollar figure that Urlacher was asking for, only what the Bears offered him. I haven't heard any numbers for Reed's deal either.
  14. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +158 / 2 / -0
    I have seen reports of reed asking for 7 million a year
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Really?....... got any links to share?
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Reed stated he wanted $7M a year, Texans though, reportedly offered $4M a year.

Urlacher, already got his big contract from Chicago, and his 13 years there, has made $50M+, was willing to agree to a 1 yr./$3.5M deal, but Bears offered 1 yr./$2M and that was a slap in the face? Really? Didn't know $1.5 made such a difference to a guy who has made millions.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Reed made $7.2 million last year, so why would he be looking for less? Sure, he might have to settle for less, but why would he ask for less? Ed Reed is a first ballot Hall of Fame player, after all.

So, Urlacher made a good bit of money, that doesn't mean he suddenly values himself less. From what I understand, that Bears offer was a maximum of $2 million, meaning that amount wasn't even guaranteed. He most likely need to reach performance incentives to get all that.

I don't know about you, but when you negotiate salary with a boss, you don't start off with what you're willing to settle with, and let them talk you down from there..... that's a terrible negotiating tactic.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    This sentiment I can agree with......

"This whole offseason, I had a bad feeling about this situation anyway," Urlacher said. "I just wish they would have said, 'We don't want you back.' I think this whole thing is just about them saving face and trying to say that they made a run at me."

If a guy is no longer in your plans, just be straight with him. That's what Telesco did with Spikes. Let him know you valued his play, but the team is going in a different direction (a youth movement in our case).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
  21. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Via Gehlken's Twitter acct:

@UTGehlken: Won't happen. Can't afford him. @Jimondi21 have the chargers shown any interest in Sebastian Vollmer?
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    A contract he signed in 2006-2007. Your not going to ask a first ballot hall of famer to take a pay cut.

Fact is, both Reed and Urlacher are going to be 35 when the season gets under way. They're both not what they used to be, but still great players.

Look at Charles Woodson as well, he feels "shunned". Maybe he should ask for less. Many teams are moving towards the youth movement. Rather than teams like the Broncos and Texans who are going all for it in a short term period.

I didn't know the details on Urlacher's contract, just heard about it on NFLN, didn't read the article posted above, I thought it was 1 year/$2M guaranteed.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    I'm not saying they are going to get what they made before..... that is obvious. The market for older players isn't the same.

That said, I think it's the job of the agent to give their client a realistic assessment of what they can expect to make. They shouldn't be there to just stroke a player's ego... they should explain the facts of the market to them.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    And the problem is agents want the biggest looking number for their clients, no matter the age, injury history, etc.

That's been the problem with some teams and players' agents.
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
    Yep, their percentage is better, when the player gets more, that's the simple truth. But, when an agent plays around too long (like the Dumervil situation), it can bite the player in the ***.

Teams don't like twisting in the wind after they've made their offer, so the longer it takes the player's agent to respond, the more likely the team moves on. At this point of free agency, teams have very limited cap space, and everybody is out for a bargain.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,774 / 47 / -26
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    It also appears a lot of teams are only willing to do a one year rental these day, Not sure if it is because they want to try the player out before long term commitment is agreed (would have been nice if we did that last year). I know the CB class did us a favor, Personally based off of talent we got a steal on Cox.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    We honestly need a nickel corner to cover Wes Welker. I do not want to draft one.

Cox and Wright I see as the starters, with Gilchrist backing them up, but also Gilchrist will be the back at FS too. I highly doubt Johnny Patrick has the skill set to stay with Welker or as a nickel CB, maybe he does, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we sign another CB.

I feel like Telesco is waiting it out, seems like he wants to spend his money at ROT or OG, whether its Winston, etc. then make moves with the rest of the available cap space.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Until further notice I believe either Wright or Gilchrist will be the Nickel. Not sure what you mean FS
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Gilchrist is the back up at FS, with Brandon Taylor most likely out the first few games, Darrell Stuckey, who Telesco believes in, will be at SS. You need someone behind Weddle.

But if Cox, Wright, or Gilchrist are injured, who is our nickel CB? We need to sign one more..