1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Yep, we still need a vet CB....... we're losing two, so we need two. Wright will start opposite Cox, but you still need a proven backup. Gilchrist is the nickel back, so he's not the answer for depth behind the outside guys.
  2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    i wouldnt mind drafting another cb in round 2-4... this is a deep cb draft why not let telesco grab someone he likes and let him develop with our other young cbs... if we sign a cb he will likely be our 4th cb anyway so why not go young and draft a 4th cb.. we dnt really have the luxury of getting a 4th proven cb meanwhile we dont even have a starting o line as of right now
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    Stick to the blue collar workman like players in FA, I think that's where to get the most bang for the buck. Foley and even the ankle biter did well for the club and didn't break the bank. I'm still holding out some slight hope for Gaither but it's fading fast. I don't know if the club could make him see a sports shrink through the aid of his agent or what, but something has to be done either way. Cutting the losses on Gaither now seems like the way to go but then if he turns up on another team and plays great ball then what?

I hope Tommy T drafts for BPA unless someone of great need just happens to fall into his lap. One thing for sure, I don't see it turning completely around in one year. I'm looking at two and maybe three years to go full circle, until then, I'll let y'all fight it out over who should be signed or cut it's more fun for me that way.
  4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Maybe im overly optimistic but in todays NFL i dont see why we couldnt turn it around in 1 year... half the battle is getting "the guy" at qb.. since we already have that i dont see why we cant be back in the playoffs this year if we can just protect him
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    That means winning the wild card, since we aren't knocking off the Broncos with this roster. You really think we'll win enough games to secure a wild card birth? :cautious:
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I'm not saying it couldn't happen as there is plenty proof to the contrary. I'm talking of building for the long haul not a one and done, not that I wouldn't be just as happy.
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Honestly too many needs in that rounds 2-4 range to go corner, where we are already 3 deep. We need an experienced guy, someone who knows the league.

You still have those older vet guys like Sheldon Brown, Nate Clements, Quentin Jammer, Terrence Newman, Marcus Trufant and Antoine Winfield.

I really like Elbert Mack and Christopher Owens. Wouldn't even mind bringing back Corey Lynch, cause he can play down in the box on a WR and also play safety.

Wouldn't mind Cedric Griffin, Kelvin Hayden, Mike Jenkins, or Stanford Routt at the right price.
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    How many times has the "favorite" of a division actually won the division? I bet its not as high as a % as most would imagine.. yeah the broncos look good on paper but I dont see any reason why a 7-9 team cant make the jump to say 10 wins.. the margin of winning and losing in the nfl is so small, a few plays here and there and we could have been in the playoffs last year... as bad as we were last year lets just say ray rice doesnt get that 4th and 29 and we win that 1 point game against the browns just like that we'd be 9-7
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Chargers signed G/C Rich Ohrnberger, formerly of the Cardinals.
    Ohrnberger started four games, two at center and two at right guard, for the Cardinals last season before ending the year on injured reserve with a knee injury. The 27-year-old started his career with the Patriots and has appeared in 18 career games. At 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds, he's a good fit as a backup for the new zone-blocking scheme.

G/C Depth tells me the future of Molk and Baxter doesn't look so bright
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    The Dombrowski of our new scheme.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Molk could be a good fit in a zone scheme, depth on top of depth on top of a ZBS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    I don't think it's impossible, just not very likely. You seem to think the opposite. I wonder where that level of optimism comes from.
  15. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Im not saying its very likely but i dont understand the logic of people thinking its gonna take 2-3 years to get back to the playoffs... if u get into the playoffs everyone knows anything can happen and every team has a legitimate chance at the super bowl... all im saying is i dont believe the next season or 2 should be looked at as us having no chance like most of you are making it out to be
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    The Colts were VERY fortunate to get to the playoffs last season..... how they performed there wasn't a surprise. Just because a team has made that leap in a single season doesn't mean it's very likely.

The Chargers missed the playoffs in consecutive years, and having to overhaul the roster doesn't make me optimistic they they will defy the odds. It's perfectly reasonable to expect the rebuilding to take 2-3 years before we can contend again. How can you say, that you "don't understand the logic" of that?
  17. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Because the difference between the best team in the league and the worst team in todays NFL is only a few players... Currently we are a very average nfl team but lets say we get a few impact rookies in the draft i dont see why this cant be a playoff team next year... in the past 3 seasons we are .500 it aint like we are a team with no talent ... obviously we arent as talented as back in 2006-2009 but it aint like we have no talent on this roster either.... last year's colts was nothing like this roster they legit had next to nothing going into the season
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Really?........ you seriously think the difference between the best and worst team is just a few players? :cautious:

When I look at a team like the 49ers, I see a roster loaded with talent...... it's no accident that they got to the Super Bowl. They fell short due to the inexperience of their QB (and the vast experience of the Ravens roster). With all their draft picks this year, the distance between an elite team like the 49ers, and the bottom dwellers will only increase.

If you think that teams like the Chiefs or Raiders are suddenly going to knock off a team like the 49ers in the playoffs, then you're dreaming.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Why are we wasting our money on the OL that has 10+ players at the moment?

Get a damn nickel corner or ILB.. or atleast cut Clary and sign a ROT.
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    10+ crap players, but who's counting? ;)
  21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Chargers add Ohrnberger

Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
    AP
    The Chargers continue to quietly and methodically add free agents aimed at making the team better, even if they aren’t exactly household names. And not many households consist of people who can spell the name of the latest addition without checking it several times. Like I did.

The Chargers have announced the acquisition of veteran guard Rich Ohrnberger.

Ohrnberger, a fourth-round pick of the Patriots in 2009, spent 2011 on injured reserve and joined the Cardinals in 2012. Last season, Ohrnberger appeared in 13 games with two starts.

He becomes the sixth unrestricted free agent signed by the Chargers, who are operating under the guidance of new G.M. Tom Telesco. And Ohrnberger reunites with his former head coach in Arizona; Ken Whisenhunt is now the offensive coordinator in San Diego.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/chargers-add-ohrnberger/
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    13 OL now, and probably only 2 or 3 could start on another team in the NFL. :roflmao:
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That's a massive misconception that's proliferated by the league to sell playoff football. I'm not saying it's not true that "anything can happen" but it's an extremely low-percentage prospect that's sold as not being just that. Team chemistry, good coaching, and on-field leadership are often what get most teams over the hump - which is why when the teams that were the "odds-on outliers" make it to the Big Game they are almost always chock full of veteran players with playoff experience or that have been playing together for a good chunk of time - or both (Giants, Ravens, Cardinals).

And I think the point that some of us are making is that while it's not impossible, we'd much rather just bite the bullet and eat those couple seasons of continuing to be mediocre if it means getting all the correct tracks aligned to rebuild a consistent competitor that can legitimately vie for the Lombardi annually.
  24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    Id rather just be a team that gets to the playoffs every year... i dont care if we aint the 1, 2, or 3 seed because to me that doesnt mean anything... if you consistently just make the playoffs you will have a shot to win the lombardi every year... the ravens won it last year they were 10-6, year before that giants won it as a wildcard at 9-7, year before that packers won it as a wildcard at 10-6, year before that saints won it as the 1 seed at 13-3... so in the past 4 years 2 wildcards have won it, a 4 seed won it, and a 1 seed won it... i just dont believe you need home field advantage to win the lombardi as long as you get into the playoffs i believe you have a shot
  25. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has zero impact on our ability to add other players.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    That's not an exaggeration either. ;)
  27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    I read that he does standup comedy.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    P.S your boy on the CMB is at it again, now he's saying we signed ohrnberger for 2 years 11 million