1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    Exactly. Not sure why there is all this hand-wringing about Gaither still being on the roster.
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    But in that case wouldn't it be better to just take the bigger cap hit this year since we're already paying him 6.5 and just be completely done with it all for next?
    From my understanding he already has 9 million off of his 13 million guaranteed.
  3. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    True, but we don't have to actually wait until June 1st to cut him for those rules to take effect. I think he probably will end up a June 1st cut if the draft and the rest of the offseason go the way TT expects, but I wouldn't mind keeping him around as quality depth at both tackle positions. God knows we need it.
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Personally If he were to play/be healthy I would love to have him as our LT and not even have to worry about that in the draft. It's only his bad rep he is even considered too be voted off the island, If he were any other player we as fans would be saying "when he comes back healthy, everything will be ok...................."

I want nothing more than to get a LT this year. But I guess a little part of me also hopes he does come back, plays all season and we don't even have to touch that spot in the draft (the RT spot on the other hand, It's time for Clary to go) There is no question If/When Gaither is healthy he is one of the better tackles in the league, and he's so young too. That the reason we all were so excited last year.

Like I said, I am all gun ho for one of these top Tackles to fall into our lap but the other part of me (the kind of hopeful side) would love if we didn't have to use a first rounder on a LT.
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Because there isn't anything else to talk about
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Shane Lechler signed with the Texans....... won't miss him in a Raider's uniform. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Really depends. We don't have a ton of cap space this year, and there's potential for us to have a larger buffer next year - either by the total cap allowance being elevated when the league's new media contract kicks in and increases revenue substantially, or due to certain guys like Meachem, Royal, etc. being more expendable at a less costly opportunity (i.e. not costing as much or anything against the cap to release because their guarantees will have been paid out). Also, Rivers is in a contract year next year and no longer making any guaranteed money, which means it'll either be extension time for him (i.e. chance for a lower cap number than the near $20 million he's due to count for next season) or if he doesn't rebound he'll likely be released and be off the books entirely.

Releasing him after June 1st means Dean still doesn't have to pay him game checks this year and Gaither is effectively just a cap-penalty issue for us to account. People need to grasp that it's going to cost us roughly $5 million just to sign our rookie class. We need another $2 million or so of wiggle room on top of that as a counter-measure in case injuries kick up heavy again and we're having to sign players to (at best case scenario) vet-minimum contracts in order to flesh out the game day roster. Meanwhile, we're still trying to re-sign Martin which will cost probably at least $900K to 1M this season in hit, and ideally we'd like to get an extension done for Butler so as to avoid having to franchise tender him at a $8.5-9m price tag this time next year. The cap space simply isn't there to then further take on the brunt of Gaither's dead money cap hit this year in whole.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If only Al was still around so he could spend the #3 overall replacing his prized Pro Bowl punter.
  9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    He should, thats some damn funny shite on his page.

At least he'll be able to appreciate the funnier side of being on a Charger Oline with the likes of Clary and Gaither, its kept me in stitches for years now. ;)
  10. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    You mean to tell me that there's only ONE Foswhitt Whittaker in the world ????????

Surely that can't be right !!!! ;)

At the rate things are going, its gotta be an odds-on bet that we draft Barkivous Mingo I would think.
  11. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Hold up !!!!! :eek:

When was that decided ? .................... I don't recall seeing a fan ballot distributed on that, so where'd Babe Laufenberg finish ??? .................3rd or 4th behind Jim (Chrissie) Everett !
  12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Wow ..... someone's walls must be covered with mirrors for that self-adulation look. :cool:
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    You never know, sometimes these lessor know and bottom rung guys can turn it all around in the right situation. James Harrison comes to mind when thinking of players that were thought to just be camp fodder or just a special teams ace. Even though many of us liked Welker during his brief stint as a Bolt, no one could even think he'd turn out the way he did. TT just needs to hit on a couple of these O-line guys they're signing, draft or make a trade and the O-line couldn't possibly be any worse than last year. It shouldn't really take much to show stark improvement, and send Gaither to a sports shrink or something. He kind of reminds me of Mike Ivie of Padres lore, a real headcase.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Well statistically it's true so I just threw it out there, you could make a case for Stan Humphries just cuz we got to the SB with him, but I can't see anyone else getting votes.
  15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Branden Albert is not worth what the Chiefs are asking, and that's more than a 2nd rounder. They want future picks too, and I'm not willing to do that for multiple reasons.

Albert hasn't started 16 games at LOT in a season. The fact we're gonna give up picks for him, and sign him to a long term deal makes me not like this one bit. He'll be 29 when the season is underway, so that leaves him 2-3 years as a solid starter before he starts breaking down, if he hasn't already.

Gaither is still under contract, and if he shows up healthy and willing to work in OTA's why cut him? Again, we've invested in him so might as well get our money's worth and see what he brings to the table. It's funny how other people think when it's not their money, you think we're gonna hand a guy $13.5 million and let him walk out the door after 4 games? People really think Dean would be happy with that?

Norv's answers to Gaither's injury in press conferences came very quickly and with anger in his voice. Maybe he had a bust up with Gaither? Which led him to alienate himself. We do not know this, and maybe McCoy and Telesco can get this guy to work.

Now, I'm not saying we don't have a hole at LOT. Because we do, and we must draft as if we do. But, if Gaither is healthy he's a top-15 tackle. If not, we have a very good pass protector in King Dunlap, which was our struggle last year. I want an OT in the draft, and if Gaither comes back, there is no room for Jeromey Clary, which is wonderful news to me.

Jeesh, people are worse than the media when it comes to LOT on this team, they want an answer in March for crying out loud. A lot can change in a month leading to the draft, during the draft, after the draft, during OTA's, after OTA's, during training camp, etc. etc.

Be patient people..
    • Like Like x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    If you believe Acee, Gaither is as much of a locker room cancer as there has ever been. He's still here as as worst case scenario backup plan, but I doubt we keep him under any circumstances.
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I don't put too much stock into Acee's readings now. Especially after he said Arians will be the Chargers' new HC.

It was an 'unnamed' player who said that as well. That player could be gone, or it could of been Jarrett Johnson who was with him in Baltimore when he pulled similar stunts, or Antwan Barnes (no longer with team).

I'm not saying he isn't, I'm just talking in football terms, if his head is on straight, what he can bring to the table for us.
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    I still remember when Acee said that Sproles wouldn't make the final roster cut. :laugh:

As a prognosticator, Acee has been as accurate as a blind man playing pin the tail on the donkey. Sure, Gaither may very well be cut, but I wouldn't put too much faith in Kevin Acee's predictions.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    And that Jimmy Raye would be the next GM...... the list goes on and on. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Not to mention Telesco and McCoy as of late aren't telling Acee or Gehlken anything with the lack of having a direct line. Anything that has been leaked (not much) has been done by Schefter.
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Also, if we draft a guy to play LOT in 2013 and on, we'd probably won't pay him $9M in his 4-5 years here, nevermind $9M a season, which will most likely be the price tag on Branden Albert's head.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Which explains why Acee wrote those over the top nasty remarks about McCoy the other day. His "special" access is no more....... poor Kevin. :rolleyes:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Which is what I've been saying, but some people have difficulty with those simple concepts. ;)

Fact...... we've had two starting left tackles in a row with the label "back problems" attached to them. The last thing I want to do is over pay for an older left tackle with "back problems" in their recent history.
  24. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -0
    Since the team is paying all that money to Gaither, they should try to make him work for it. That being said, I am hoping Lane Johnson is available at the 11th pick in this year's draft. We have a lot of guards under contract, but the tackle position is real liability right now. We need to find and groom offensive tackles that we can depend on for a few seasons, instead of the current "rent damaged goods" program we are currently on. Restructure the contracts of Rivers and Weddle so we can add additional parts. Let's hope Telesco really knows what he is doing.
  25. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    For memory, I recall someone agreeing incessantly about this call ?

Now, who was that !!! [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Where do you think that idea came from? And remember, AJ gave Raye his endorsement (in retrospect, that might not've been the best thing). ;)

I have, on occasion, fallen victim to the notion that Acee might actually have privileged information. But, he's one blind squirrel that may never find a nut. With the current front office, I think he's totally in the dark.
  27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    Just thought this was worth repeating.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    With our cap situation, no one is going to be signed to the roster who is going to be viewed as an impact player. Could one of these guys turn out to be an impact player? Sure, but more than likely they'll be back-ups if they make the roster, and only potentially starters in places where we're extremely thin.

We have all 7 of our picks this year, so chances are strong that at least 6 of those rookies will make the final cut. We're probably going to turn over ~20 players on our final 53, and at least 7 starters (RG, LG, ILB, NT, CB, CB, SS) as well as possibly LT, RT, and WR2.

We're going to be a completely different team from last year. Hopefully we're a team that actually makes adjustments and can block/tackle. We're not going to be more athletic on offense than most of the defenses we face, which is a major change that's been evolving since 2010. This is going to be an adequate offense with a powerful defense, probably for a while until we get our line solidified and get more consistent production from our RBs/WRs and more production from our TEs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42

hahahahaha, NO, I hear ya mate .......... just couldnt resist a little love tap, because I recall at that time you clearly being in Jimmy Raye's corner, whereas I didnt see the sense in keeping a guy around, who'd in all likelyhood, been brainwashed to believe in the "AJ way", so I wasn't either unhappy or surprised when Jimmy Raye wasn't retained.

I'm still trying to figure out how that "Spanos kid" has been given a promotion though !!!!!

Maybe he has a good looking Mother that hands out "special treatment" to the owner or something ????? :whistling:

As for Cooper Acee, who knows where he's at these days since his move at the UT ...... He'll no doubt get a "few right, a few wrong" ........... just your average percentage for an avergae journo mate.
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Vollmer resigned with the Patriots, so the available tackle pool has shrunken.

Will the Chargers try to land a FA tackle to replace Clary, or ail they wait until the draft?