1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Chargers still open to Eric Winston
    By Michael Gehlken7:05 P.M.MARCH 27, 2013

Eric Winston visited the Chargers nearly three weeks ago.

Since then, there have been changes on the offensive line.

Two guards were signed. One 6-foot-9 tackle was added. Another 6-foot-9 tackle was released.

As for the team's interest in Winston, that hasn't changed — not one bit.

The door remains open on the possibility the ex-Chiefs right tackle could come to San Diego, a team source said Wednesday. While the Chargers' interest is for certain, that a deal will materialize is not, as nothing appears imminent at this time.

Winston, 29, has taken his time in free agency.

Last week, he visited Miami.

In San Diego, he has a team that doesn't plan to run the type of full-blown zone scheme Winston experienced in Houston from 2006 to 2011. Still, Winston projects as a good fit in Joe D'Alessandris' system; the new offensive line coach values the athletic mold of the 6-foot-7, 302-pound tackle.

For now, Jeromey Clary will return as the Chargers' starter at the position.

What they'd do with the veteran, highly respected among those in the locker room, should Winston come aboard is a bridge they will cross if necessary.

For a team with only about $7 million in cap space, a release is an undeniable option.

Under his current contract structure, Clary is due $4 million in 2013 base salary if he's on the Week 1 roster. His release before then would result in $3.4 million in dead money against the cap while still saving $2.3 million in overall cap space.
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3

Why is this even up for debate????? Release him now save 2.3 Million
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Why?......because if you don't bring in a viable replacement, then you're just creating a new hole to fill. It's a long way until week one of the season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Because A: we could sign Winston who IMO isn't great but is way more talented that Clary

Or B we have 3 other Tackles on our roster who provide an equal to greater talent as Clary who all three combined make less than what Clary makes a year.

Sure players and coaches may like his "can do" attitude, but the truth is he can't do it. I think we can afford to cut our over priced cheerleader with out losing an ounce of sleep wondering who we have on our roster who can replace him.

The dude makes 5,700,000 this year and 6,250,000 next year, That is way too much. For that reason alone he should be cut.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Signing Winston is not predicated upon cutting Clary first. It would be silly to cut Clary before you have his replacement. It does no good to cut him earlier than necessary.

At this point, we don't even know if those other 3 tackles on the roster can outplay Clary...... we want a better option, not just any old option at RT.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    For the price tags Harris, Haslem, and Dunlap are better options. If Clary was decisively better than the 3 aforementioned players (or even a little north of a complete embarrassment) I would agree with you, but he's not, he's a bad player making too much money.

And I agree with the above point that if we keep him this year, we will either end up paying him over $6M next year or taking a dead money hit in 2014....and for what? Just so we can be sure Harris, Haslem or Dunlap is a little better or worse? Poor business plan.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    You did read the part about the "first week of the season", didn't you? As long as we cut him before then, we save money. As I said, there's no immediate rush to cut him now.

For all we know, one of those supposedly "better" options gets hurt in camp. One thing we do know about Clary, is he's a hard worker, and durable. That's why he's respected by his teammates.

I want to upgrade the position like everyone else, but I fail to see the need to cut Clary this instant. It doesn't save us any more money now, than it would the week before the season. I don't know why that is so hard for people to understand.

What is a poor business plan, is making a move before you need to, when it may end up making your team weaker.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Keeping Clary penciled in as out RT makes us weaker.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21

The rush is called free agency, its called OTAs, its called training camp. There are players available now who won't be available in a few weeks, and you have to consider the value of putting a new player through the full offseason schedule rather than just signing him week 1 and saying "learn the system."

Even if it means going just getting Shaun Phillips back, or adding Quintin Mikell, or Eric Winston. We got a lotta holes, and plenty of backup caliber RTs without Clary sucking up cap.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Absolutely, but unlike a message board, they present it as if it is legitimate journalism
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6
    Haste makes waste and induces 6'9" mistakes. All I can ask for is a team that shows solid improvement and a willingness to compete on every play. I don't like trying to build a winner through FA, it just invites trouble, if you ask me. Draft the BPA and use FA to fill in needs with blue collar players until that blue-chipper comes along via the draft, trade, UDFA or waiver. There is no need to sell of next year for today, if you don't believe me just ask AJ.
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Also, It's not like they're running the same system where every vet on the team has a leg up over the FA's and Rookies. Everyone is new to the system. Just because The old coaches and GM failed to find a replacement for the line doesn't mean Telesco and McCoy have to go that same route.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Dolphins signed DT Vaughn Martin, formerly of the Chargers.
    Martin, 27, graded out as Pro Football Focus' 33rd-rated 3-4 defensive end last year, among just 34 qualifiers. (That's second to last.) PFF considered him poor in run defense and pass rush, and Martin also committed four penalties in under 500 defensive snaps. In Miami, Martin will battle Chase Alecxih and Kheeston Randall to be the top backup behind Randy Starks and Paul Soliai.
  15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +416 / 7 / -1
    I'm pissed about this. We drafted the guy. Don Johnson has made him what he is, a solid 3-4 DE (even he might be better suited to being a DT in a 4-3). I guess TT must have a plan cos right now we might end up having to move one of those fat boys on the O line over to play D line. We sure have enough O linemen and it's not like they are quality O linemen. D line is suffering bigtime now.
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Had high hopes for Vaughn. I wish him the best. Big kid, but he was always a work in progress.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Lets just say they do sign Winston for 3 million a season, I'd imagine it would be structured to look somewhat like the deal Cox got where he'd only count 1.75 against the cap. Sign Winston, cut Clary, save Money:D
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Fine, but we have plenty of cap room to sign Winston before we cut Clary. When you sign a replacement, then you let Clary go.

That was my point..... it was very simple. Too simple for Matty, it would seem. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    I agree with what you're saying, It makes no sense to get rid of someone until you have their replacement ready to step in. I don't care for Clary, never have. He's my Luke Walton (back when he was on the Lakers) You just sit there and think How the heck is a player that terrible making that much money? And then explore every option dreaming about the day they are no longer on the team.
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    No question we need an upgrade, especially since Clary will be even worse in the zone blocking scheme. That said, he's a standup guy, tough, and a hard worker. He's respected by his teammates, unlike Gaither.

We need a more mobile RT, but until we actually sign a viable one, there's no immediate need to cut Clary.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +158 / 2 / -0
    anyone else getting a little worried with us still needing a starting ss, ilb, lt, and a guard... the other guard spot will probably be filled by someone currently on the roster but as of now looks like 4 rookie day one starters.. a little nervous about a 4th round pick being a day 1 starter hopefully we can sign a vet at 1 or 2 at one of those positions
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Truth be told, I'd be a lot more nervous going into this season with the O line we had last year. I assume Rinehart has the one spot locked down, The other spot comes down to Troutman, Molk, Ohrnberger, or a drafted rookie. I am guessing (hopeful) Winston will be signed to play RT, As far as LT goes Rookie (1st round) with Dunlap as insurance looks better than Gaither with an UDFA as insurance.

ILB Jon Bostic is my (gotta have pick)

SS Sounds like a broken record but, we have Brandon Taylor. Will he be ready will he not? Reports suggest he is ahead of schedule. I don't see us taking a high pick at that position just to block a high pick that was taken last year. We managed to play without a SS for nearly the past decade (I know that's a B.S. thing to say) But until we find out if Brandon Taylor is not our guy (Telesco seems to be very high on him, as well as the other coaches) I'd wait on that spot, still taking one in the 5th through 7th.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +158 / 2 / -0
    For some reason stuckey is exclusively special teams so unless they plan on giving him a shot at starting until taylor is at full strength idk what the plan is at that position because i dont think anyone in the organization believes taylor will be ready week 1... i like taylor but i think we need to have some sort of backup plan or second option with him coming off the acl
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    At this point you just can't help but feel sorry for Raider fans, They're probably like "Ahhhhhhhh WTF?!?!?!?! How many times are we going to trade for a mediocre QB!!!!!!!!!"

Michael Fabiano@Michael_Fabiano
    9s

Per @RapSheet, the Seahawks and Raiders are in "deep talks" about a Matt Flynn trade. Looks like Carson Palmer's days in OAK are numbered.
  26. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Chargers reach agreement with former Seas World attraction Nanuq the whale, as our new Left Tackle

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,297 / 12 / -5
    A trade for a QB that has one start (on another team) and was beaten out by a rookie picked in the 3rd round?
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,780 / 47 / -26
    Looks like Carson Palmer will be traded to the Arizona Cardinals....... seems he couldn't find a true "contender" to offer up anything for a trade.

Oh well, at least it's better than Oakland.